Front page screed

accnick

Super Anarchist
Is it the double-ender by L F H?
It's an awfully small pic
My first thought was that it was Istalena (M class), but the people were too large, so it has to be the smaller 12mR. Only double ended boat of that class, and very long IIRC. Can’t remember the name now.
LFH also did the double ended J Class, Whirlwind. Three unique boats in three classes under two rules— Universal and International.
He was a talented and eccentric designer, and sort of NGH’s bad boy son.
Ticonderoga (72’ ketch) probably his best-known design.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
My first thought was that it was Istalena (M class), but the people were too large, so it has to be the smaller 12mR. Only double ended boat of that class, and very long IIRC. Can’t remember the name now.
LFH also did the double ended J Class, Whirlwind. Three unique boats in three classes under two rules— Universal and International.
He was a talented and eccentric designer, and sort of NGH’s bad boy son.
Ticonderoga (72’ ketch) probably his best-known design.
The name is MITENA

Thanks for the shots of America and Endeavor! Certainly "anarchist David" has some of the history wrong, as the AC was never as idyllic as he describes and the regatta never was a "friendly contest between nations" under the NYYC or any of the other defenders--with the single exception of the Royal Perth YC in 1986-1987. But I do share his disgust with the current AC. It has become a money game, with the goal being an over-simplifed 30 minute (including commercials!) TV-sitcom version of the sport. The tactics are gone. The boats have nothing in common with real sailing. In short, the AC has become a crashing bore for real sailors who appreciate the chess-like strategy game that AC races used to be. But then, I also hate the designated hitter rule and this ridiculous "man on second" for extra innings...

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Shoot the messenger if you must but the event is suffering, even if it's foiling!

I'll lead with the #1 disgrace to the current cup era: Pitching the venue to the highest bidder and then saying "we're trying to reduce costs' by requiring:

-Hydrogen foiling chase boats that are pointless to this cup or any other sailing event.
-Forced junior sailing league not in an existing class - WTF? Crew trials are in 69Fs....
-Restricted sailing time is just to make sure it's harder for a challenger to exploit an innovation and leap ahead. Does the payroll change when the team is in the shed not sailing?

Trying to make winning the AC not about money is like trying to melt an iceberg with a stream of piss.

Make them all DOG matches!

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Thanks for the shots of America and Endeavor! Certainly "anarchist David" has some of the history wrong, as the AC was never as idyllic as he describes and the regatta never was a "friendly contest between nations" under the NYYC or any of the other defenders--with the single exception of the Royal Perth YC in 1986-1987. But I do share his disgust with the current AC. It has become a money game, with the goal being an over-simplifed 30 minute (including commercials!) TV-sitcom version of the sport. The tactics are gone. The boats have nothing in common with real sailing. In short, the AC has become a crashing bore for real sailors who appreciate the chess-like strategy game that AC races used to be. But then, I also hate the designated hitter rule and this ridiculous "man on second" for extra innings...
Prolly refuse an BEV over your ICE clunker too, Dave?

Wandering Geo

Super Anarchist
The AC33 DoG Match in 2010 was so awesome! Seriously.

AC34 SF with the AC72s was wild too but damn, am glad to have followed and experienced a historic DoG Match up close, we may never see that again.

Agreed.
Certainly stuck in my memory when in the first race The Spitball cranked winged Dogzilla on to one hull, entered the box at over 30 knots hunting the cat.
Spectacular.

Cat vs dog
20220818_231525.jpg

Last edited:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
The lead up to AC33 was interesting but the racing was boring as hell.
The lead up to almost all AC's is 98% of the entertainment for me. And truth is, most AC's are walkovers come the eventual Match races, although AC36 Auckland and (especially!) AC34 SF were exceptions.