Ft. Lauderdale to Key West

vtsail

Anarchist
Philly
I recently got invited to do the Ft Lauderdale to Key West race in Jan. Has anyone ever done it? Is it fun/worth doing? Any war stories/tips/suggestions?

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Do IT !

Nothing like a nice overnight dodging unlit spider markers and other unlit 'privately maintained' mooring bouys.

Finish in the morning and you are at Key West ! What is not to love?

/monthly_10_2010/post-1984-001107000%201286913772_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DD start SORC 2010.jpg
    DD start SORC 2010.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 7

left hook

Super Anarchist
Still looking for a ride. Willing and capable of filling any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.

vtsail

Anarchist
Philly
Yeah this will be my first one as well....Hopefully get the chute up and keep it up the whole way down.

Lee G

Super Anarchist
Still looking for a ride. Willing to and capable of fill any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.
Fixed :D

left hook

Super Anarchist
Still looking for a ride. Willing and capable of filling any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.
Last yr it was 30 in Lauderdale and 40 in Key West
Cold weather is fine as long as it's accompanied by a change of scenery.

Still looking for a ride. Willing to and capable of fill any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.
Fixed :D
I don't see you signed up for the race either ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
And not KW Race Week following? You are getting screwed! Yes do it. Big downwind fun usually.
I did it once, and the race down was great, except that the skipper would not listen to the naviguesser (me) and we fought the Gulfstream current as smaller boats sailed well inside us (where I told him we should be).

Beating back up the edge of the Gulfstream on the way back to Miami was by far the most miserable sailing experience of my life, and the only time I have been close to motion sickness on a boat. I think the only reason I didn't actually throw up was that when a wave filled the cockpit where I was in fetal position, I got too damn cold to throw up.

Zipped

Super Anarchist
Detroit
And not KW Race Week following? You are getting screwed! Yes do it. Big downwind fun usually.
I did it once, and the race down was great, except that the skipper would not listen to the naviguesser (me) and we fought the Gulfstream current as smaller boats sailed well inside us (where I told him we should be).

Beating back up the edge of the Gulfstream on the way back to Miami was by far the most miserable sailing experience of my life, and the only time I have been close to motion sickness on a boat. I think the only reason I didn't actually throw up was that when a wave filled the cockpit where I was in fetal position, I got too damn cold to throw up.
couple posts about how cold it was. Just looking at the averages and the average low in FL is 60. That'll seem very warm since it's been around 32 here

yeah dont be fooled, it can still drop down and be pretty damn cold in florida for a few days. the water is still warm, but, the air can get decently cold. The other thing to remember is that you can get suckered into thinking "its florida", and not pack/wear the right gear. Or, if you live in florida, not even own the right gear...