fuel transfer

gkny

I am on a mooring at it is an hour to a fuel dock so I frequently fill diesel from jerry cans.  I find pouring into funnels kind of messy.  Has anyone had experience with this kind of pump or the battery operated ones?  Are  they pretty clean to use and store? 

https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRM20-001-Manual-Handheld-Bendable/dp/B01HOXQ680/ref=asc_df_B01HOXQ680/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=319190711912&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3364826388169041113&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004173&hvtargid=pla-560557384013&psc=1

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I am on a mooring at it is an hour to a fuel dock so I frequently fill diesel from jerry cans.  I find pouring into funnels kind of messy.  Has anyone had experience with this kind of pump or the battery operated ones?  Are  they pretty clean to use and store? 

https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRM20-001-Manual-Handheld-Bendable/dp/B01HOXQ680/ref=asc_df_B01HOXQ680/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=319190711912&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3364826388169041113&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004173&hvtargid=pla-560557384013&psc=1
Siphon 

a standard outboard motor fuel hose with primer bulb does the trick 

purchase the largest diameter fuel hose , bulb rig that  they have in the shop …I think its 3/8 ID 

cap the ends after use to prevent a mess 

some folks transfer the fuel to the boat with a standard outboard motor portable  tank complete with hose and primer bulb 

many other alternatives to create a siphon , 

pouring fuel via a funnel is goofy and a mess 

Last edited by a moderator:

not a sock

LIS
get one of these 
d72e8f50-a0d1-4758-b39c-e55c979332cb_1.9fb783b6891c9b5a0879edce42517a93.jpeg

the "smart" fill spout allows you to add diesel without spilling a drop! never go to the fuel dock.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
Look complicated. Does that spout collect rain- and seawater? Does the sailor need to hold the jug inverted without falling?

What is wrong with a hose to siphon with? Quick. Might not even need to untie the jug from the rail? Crud stays in the jug. 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Siphon - easy, cheap. The 'shaker' siphon starters work well. Or, when starting with a full container - use a rag and another short piece of hose, seal off the jug opening with a rag around both hoses & blow hard into the short hose. You can easily get enuff pressure into the jug to drive the fuel up & over the siphon without any risk of inhaling fuel.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The shaker siphon is super easy and effective. Gets everything out of the jug and being lazy I didn't have to hold the jug in the air while refueling. No fuss, no drips or spills.  Can't say enough good things about them.

If you have the old style jug with a separate vent cap, have your hose exit the main opening and seal with a plastic bag (after unscrewing the standard spout). Blow into the vent cap opening. 

Diesel oil sort of tastes like vegetable oil. Not really horrible like gasoline.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
The shaker siphon pumps are cool. But I use a one inch hose so I don’t need to wait around in bad conditions. 

Yes, a nearly empty jug is a problem for the blow and siphon method. Rare in practice. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I have the jug that's pictured above and it is fantastic. I also have a shaker siphon and it is fantastic. your mileage may vary, but the only thing with the shaker siphon is to have a diesel blanket to wipe off the hose.

And no, those jugs do not 'collect rainwater' or any other debris.

joe.barry

+1  for the shaker syphon. Empties a 5 gal jerry a lot faster than you think it would. Used it in rough weather on weather deck. Singlehanded.

jamhass

Anarchist
When refueling in wet conditions, installing a pipe nipple to the deck fill (PVC or nylon work fine) helps keep water out of the tank. 

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Siphon is great, works well sitting at a dock. If you're underway, in less than great conditions, the battery pump is a better option. I find the battery pump also makes it easier to get the last few drops. When I go with diesel cans, I bring both. 

nirikki

Seattle
+1  for the shaker syphon

Even if you don't use it all the time, there may be a time you really want it.

Somewhere I have a picture of me hanging off the stern pulpit of a Hunter 450 in an honest force 10 storm going contra-current off of Point Arguello...because the captain hadn't checked the weather updates and assumed we had "enough" in the tanks.

Don't assume you will always be fueling on a calm day in a protected anchorage with only rain to worry about.  (Also check the weather and fuel early) :)

harrygee

Tasmania
I've used pumps similar to your original-post Amazon pump on dozens of deliveries.

So I like them.

Less mess than the shakers in my experience.

I tie a couple of 20 ltr drums to the pushpit, within reach of the filler if possible, or add hose to suit, so that there's no need to handle drums at sea.

Most of those boats were small, with minimal fuel capacity.

I buy the pumps from hardware stores, average cost about $5 AUS so yours may be better quality.  Or not.

They have a limited life, which has never worried me, so the shakers may suit your application better.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I've used pumps similar to your original-post Amazon pump on dozens of deliveries.

So I like them.

Less mess than the shakers in my experience.

I tie a couple of 20 ltr drums to the pushpit, within reach of the filler if possible, or add hose to suit, so that there's no need to handle drums at sea.

Most of those boats were small, with minimal fuel capacity.

I buy the pumps from hardware stores, average cost about $5 AUS so yours may be better quality.  Or not.

They have a limited life, which has never worried me, so the shakers may suit your application better.
With fuel barrels I use a length of garden hose and the dingy air pump 

poke the garden hose to the bottom of the barrel 

poke the dingy pump air hose in thru the same opening , don’t allow the air hose to touch the fuel 

wrap a rag around the two hoses to make airtight 

pressurize the barrel with the dingy pump 

fuel begins to flow 

Unwrap the rag to allow air in 

let the fuel siphon