Fulcrum Speedworks Rocket

CrazyR

I have been asked how I store Rockets.

I built 4 ft by f ft square stands out of lumber. For and aft bars have shallow V- shape and covered with the boat carpet. Side bars are lower so i can slip wheels over the front cradle and leave wheels attached. 
The boat sits on the stand fully rigged with sail lowered and covered by a Phantom cover. Link to the cover was posted upstream of this thread. 
The cover is well worth money and a must of you going to keep your boat on shore, imho. It fits perfectly, it keeps dirt and leaves out and sail and ropes protected. 

445D233D-37C7-43FD-B4A5-ACA7E5F06222.jpeg

5339D00D-012A-46C3-B6DF-F77309E76154.jpeg

0C42208A-9C39-4FE2-8B46-0948A10A53B0.jpeg

4FCF2DFA-EBCA-476E-879E-B8E3D918AAB2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Gotta get that cover!

Boat is being delivered here to Sarasota FL in the next two weeks.

Ideally I can get a space for it at the SSS, but they are full-up. PITA if I have nowhere to put it. I don't relish car topping just because that's a lot of work from thought to water (and hard on the back).

I don't really need a trailer, but I just found a dealer selling Trailex 250 for "cost" - that is, I can get it for $900 delivered where it usually sells for 1500-1700 delivered. I'm wondering out loud if it's worth buying "just because" - being that if I don't use it I can always sell it at little or no loss. If I decide later it won't be there for that price.

I'm gonna see if that wait list is getting smaller....it's a shame because so many boats tend to fill up the yard and the racks and never get moved (Club is working hard on this, but there is only so much you can do). I could fit this thing between the ama's of some of the "stored forever" cats and tris sitting around there! 

bluelaser2

CLE
Owning a dinghy without a dolly or trailer is a pain in the ass.  The Trailex is so light that it can double as a dolly.  For under $1K no brainer   

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Gotta get that cover!

Boat is being delivered here to Sarasota FL in the next two weeks.

Ideally I can get a space for it at the SSS, but they are full-up. PITA if I have nowhere to put it. I don't relish car topping just because that's a lot of work from thought to water (and hard on the back).

I don't really need a trailer, but I just found a dealer selling Trailex 250 for "cost" - that is, I can get it for $900 delivered where it usually sells for 1500-1700 delivered. I'm wondering out loud if it's worth buying "just because" - being that if I don't use it I can always sell it at little or no loss. If I decide later it won't be there for that price.

I'm gonna see if that wait list is getting smaller....it's a shame because so many boats tend to fill up the yard and the racks and never get moved (Club is working hard on this, but there is only so much you can do). I could fit this thing between the ama's of some of the "stored forever" cats and tris sitting around there! 
The problem of non-users taking up the few available spaces at the few available launching storage is a scourge on the whole small boat scene.

Trailer is a must. I have three.

My informal survey of the catamaran area in my town is that only less than half of the boats move all summer. the others just get grown in with weeds.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
it's a shame because so many boats tend to fill up the yard and the racks and never get moved (Club is working hard on this, but there is only so much you can do). I could fit this thing between the ama's of some of the "stored forever" cats and tris sitting around there! 
The manager at US Sailing Center here in Miami cheerfully told me when I signed up for a spot - if it doesn't get sailed, we toss you out, mate – that's the right attitude IMHO. 

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Got my rocket down in Sarasota - the factory really spent a lot of time, materials and thought to the packing! I figured they were going to bubble and plastic wrap it and send in on racks (on a multi-rack trailer, etc.).

Instead they did the full monty on it. 

In the spirit of learning I am not going to put it into the water for a few days....going to rig it, roll it around, check out all the handling possibilities (getting it to my storage rack, putting on roof, etc.) and then slowly work into it. 

As many will agree, messing around with boats can be as much fun (almost) as having them in the water. A cold snap is coming too! I may row it before I sail it just for testing purposes. I have a decent boat seat which is fully padded and will not scratch the hull - gonna try that as a rowing platform. Maybe I will make up a lightweight flat interior pad for it to sit upon (inside of boat is a slight V of course. 

Learning to rig is always a little challenge - but after you do it once or twice you wonder why you were so clueless the first time!

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

skslr

Germany
As an ex-rower I have to say these oars just look great!

I cannot get used to the look of rigg (maybe an European thing???), but I am admiring the level of attention for every detail in this project. 

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
As an ex-rower I have to say these oars just look great!

I cannot get used to the look of rigg (maybe an European thing???), but I am admiring the level of attention for every detail in this project. 
Totally agree . It’s a great boat and suits the US market perfectly.

To a European eye , I cannot help but think it would be so much better with a Aero/Zero type rig. ( but there would be a cost implication)

BUT I totally understand that Steve knows the muti use market much better than anyone on this side of the pond and this is what they want . That’s why it’s selling well .  :rolleyes:

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Mast looks a little short and the sail area a little small .

But am not going to comment more until the full details are common knowledge.  :D
Don’t disagree with you. I was more looking at the way it sits in the water. No reason you can’t make a couple different size spars and sails. 

bluelaser2

CLE
No reason you can’t make a couple different size spars and sails. 

Don't even.  Unless you want lickspittles jumping all over you & the impresario taking it personally.  

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Mast looks a little short and the sail area a little small .

But am not going to comment more until the full details are common knowledge.  :D
In the UK, 50 degree water is warm and heeling 40 degrees in a dinghy in 25 mph winds is just right. 

That's why you guys had MG's while we were going to automatic trannies and A/C.

If I'm not wrong, 15+ winds with a "smaller" sail should work the same as 12 with a slightly bigger one. Lucky for me, I have the choice (sailing in RI or even here in Winter in Gulf we can choose from 8mph to 20mph+ days easily)...

Never having sailed a board board (other than a snark), I'm not at all worried about too small of a sail. If and when (Lord Willing), I get to that point I'll add an Aero with different sail rigs to my fleet or trade-in on one.

As far as wood daggers or rudders - I'm no snob, but I am a carpenter. If I destroy these I will patch them together forever and maybe even create one.

Meanwhile, my Rocket hasn't seen the water yet - because I am having more fun fussing with everything (getting it to the rack, figuring out how to get it off the rack, etc). Just like any relationship, you have to move slowly. 

Here it in on the car on the way to the SSS (yes, I had more straps before I embarked), and up on the 3rd story rack at the Squadron. I do think I will get it into the water this week - but I am going to row first (easier) and also then just practice rigging it. Then I am going to follow the common advice and capsize it near shore (just pull it over). Maybe next week I'll actually rocket around in it. 

187637811_IMG_56833.JPG

IMG_5681 3.JPG

Latest posts