Fulcrum Speedworks Rocket

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
If one ever did, I'd need to have some firm words with Mario, my lead assembler.
Fair enough. It just occurred to me that lashing the tiller, no matter how firmly, might not be ideal if there were a good way of rigging the rudder fixed. As there isn't that rather ends it. 

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Fair enough. It just occurred to me that lashing the tiller, no matter how firmly, might not be ideal if there were a good way of rigging the rudder fixed. As there isn't that rather ends it. 
When futzing around with that question, Henry and I worked out a decent handful of options for that. There's more than one solid answer, but it also turned into a decently self-defeating exercise, as most all of them worked and required little effort. A lot of them involve the tiller extension. Good opportunity for us to step back and not overprocess it. 

DRC

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Noneother than mister Croker explaining:

and further, he has a full set of vids on setup, getting the pin, work positioned correctly, pitch set etc.

Of course a UFO is not a shell, but understanding how a shell is setup will stand anyone who actually rows rather than stirs jellyfish, in good stead.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Couldn't you just cut a few inches off the inboard ends of each oar so they felt right to you? 
I don't want to cut anything - the next owner (or even me - maybe, but doubtful) might prefer the end over end.

The oars are going to be put aside for a month or two while I learn to sail the thing (I'm not even a sunfish sailor, so there is that!)....

If I ever decide to row a lot the solutions are easy enough including picking up a cheap set of oars on FB Marketplace (as low as $20 sometimes) or modification of the oarlocks with an offset, etc.

When I get really bored is when we fit an engine to the thing.....someone is likely to it before me, tho. 

CrazyR

Does the Tiller detach from the rudder? If so could you sell a T shaped or Y shapes "tiller" that slots into the rudder and just contacts the transom to hold the rudder straight as a skeg without impinging on the boat? Or do you think that would be an undesirable complication?
I had exactly this setup on my Everglades Challenge boat.(not a Rocket). I didn’t like it. Tried couple of times and dropped it all together. Too much hassle. An extra part to curry, needs place to store the tiller etc.

On my EC boat I wrapped Velcro soft part around the tiller extension and glued Velcro “hooks”  on both sides of the boat (gunwales, cockpit comings, etc). So I can just drop the extension and it sticks. I haven’t tried it on Rocket yet, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. 
And yes, SUP paddle works fine on Rocket. Totally sufficient to paddle couple of miles when wind dies. Can be used with sail up or down. Takes less room than two oars in the cockpit. Just stand up and paddle:)

mundt

Anarchist
=
I once swore to a very noble demigod of surfing that I would never SUP under any circumstances.  I may have to find some clause in the unwritten rulebook that allows me to retract that oath cuz if I do ever get a dinghy I'm pretty sure that the SUP paddle will be my alternate means of propulsion.  I secretly carried one on my last trimaran but fortunately never had to use it.  SUPPing is truly an abomination and I most humbly and sincerely apologize for allowing it to pollute my thoughts.  Please forgive me!  

mundt

Anarchist
=
If I were to use the SUP paddle as a YULOH might I be exempt from the wrath of the surfing immortals?  I bet a proficient sculler with a well-designed yuloh would be able to outperform a rower in a calories burned per mile test.  I'd even be willing to bet that the designers of the Rocket could devise an ultra-efficient Yuloh that would be very easily stowable (against the mast?) and make for very excellent, easy miles.  

Kirk N

Howdy everyone! 

Kirk here from Fulcrum Speedworks. We're going to be sending boats to the San Francisco area for July 2022. If you're in the area are interested in a New Rocket (or UFO), feel free to email me at [email protected] to secure your slot. Availability is limited so please reach out as soon as possible if you are interested in joining the fun. 

-Kirk 

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
I'm sure many here have seen the rowing kits for SUP....quite fancy! Now that is a "board boat" - one company (European?) makes some kind of a combo SUP, sail, row thingy. Probably won't succeed - neither fish nor foul, although might serve the resort market. That was called the Maverick (pic)

So, all you experts, educate me on that nice ratcheting pulley on the floor of this thing? It looks high quality and makes a cool noise but I am wondering the exact function because it would seem sunfish sailors would always have the sheet in their hand? Does it lock (I notice a little button of sorts on the side)?

I can imagine some board boat sailors might want a few seconds here and there without control (in light winds, etc.)...what are the choices for that?

In my (lack of) wisdom I was imagining a little plastic clamp I could apply as a stop which would keep things still for a couple seconds but be weak enough that it would give way (act like a clutch) if real power was applied by the wind. But, granted, I think too much.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 2.38.00 PM.png

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Howdy everyone! 

Kirk here from Fulcrum Speedworks. We're going to be sending boats to the San Francisco area for July 2022. If you're in the area are interested in a New Rocket (or UFO), feel free to email me at [email protected] to secure your slot. Availability is limited so please reach out as soon as possible if you are interested in joining the fun. 

-Kirk 
Bump. This is everyone out west's chance to get a boat. Don't leave us hanging! Book em now!

DRC

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Putting your thumbs over the end of the oars is a great way to get smashed thumbs when the oars come together 
That does not evee happe. To me. Ever. Thumb pressure pushes tjecoar button out to the lock. Standard practice on sculls om sliding seat boats

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
With overlapping oars, it’s always possible to smash the tips together, and it’s something to be aware of, especially for the inexperienced. Put your fucking thumbs up your ass for all I care, but I wrap my thumbs around the oar. 

Latest posts