Full fixed keel daysailor/dinghys, which design still in production?

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
None better than a Flying Fifteen for day sailing, racing and just ......having fun! I have one, and a Finn...and do the occasional keelboat regatta on bigger boats with mates. The perfect mix of social and serious fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Q

Super Anarchist
None better than a Flying Fifteen for day sailing, racing and just ......having fun! I have one, and a Finn...and do the occasional keelboat regatta on bigger boats with mates. The perfect mix of social and serious fun!
I'd love one, they used to be raced locally.. But my back won't allow hiking out anymore..

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
just saw this....interesting, some above might do it but I-110 /Ensign too and are long and need decent mooring, easily sailed alone. the FF is hot questions....must be answered....do you always need crew. If not, Ensign and I-110 will do, but long, and mooring is needed F15 is hot. Cape Cod Typhoon is like small Ensign...rare as  17 foot, or a Paine 17 

What sailing is planned, where??

Wckoek

just saw this....interesting, some above might do it but I-110 /Ensign too and are long and need decent mooring, easily sailed alone. the FF is hot questions....must be answered....do you always need crew. If not, Ensign and I-110 will do, but long, and mooring is needed F15 is hot. Cape Cod Typhoon is like small Ensign...rare as  17 foot, or a Paine 17 

What sailing is planned, where??
Paine/Levant 15 looks like a nice boat, but pretty rare.

Cape Cod Typhoon looks interesting as well, a bit big as you say and mooring is borderline required, but I saw one asking for a good price.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
In this category it kind of come down to what is a "production boat"? It's more a case of obscure boatyards that still have the molds for those who can pay upfront, rather than selling an example to anyone who cuts a cheque at the boatshow. Some new Mcvay Bluenoses have been built in recent years, but that really is the cognoscenti at work. 

A Cape Dory Typhoon could be a great choice, even if they're not still in production. They're widely available on the East Coast, still actively raced, and popular for restoration. Ones in great condition should be easy to find. Resale value is good - you might get your money back. Most come with trailers, and they're easily ramp launched.

A Typhoon may seem expensive for a really old, small boat, but it's still just 1/5 or 1/10 the cost of a new equivalent, like a Herreshoff 12 1/2, the small Paine daysailors, or a Harbor 20.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/mercury-15-fk-cape-cod

cape_cod_mercury_keel_drawing.jpg

I've had the pleasure of sailing a fixed keel Cape Cod Mercury 15 on the Charles River through Community Boating. It sails reasonably well for a vangless dinghy with a handkerchief of a jib and is a great choice for the many first-time sailors there. It's noticeably more stable than an unballasted Mercury which I've also sailed, which is great when the hectic duckboat traffic of the Charles threatens to overwhelm. I think Cape Cod Shipbuilding still manufactures them in Buzzard's Bay.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/rhodes-18

There's also a fixed keel variant of the Rhodes 18. My friend's Rhodes 18 with a centerboard is a very practical and lovely little daysailor. The fixed keel version looks like a royal PITA when you're trying to get it back on the trailer. Of the many Rhodes 18's who live on the Barnstable Yacht Club moorings, the only one which never goes in the water is a fixed keel version. It looks like you either need to use a crane to get it into the water, or drive the trailer out on the tidal flats at low tide and let it float off. It sits more than a foot higher on the trailer than my Catalina 22!!

Edit: I guess neither of these technically have a "full keel", or a long keel despite possessing fixed keels. To which I'd add that although the Cape Dory Typhoon has been mentioned already, how about the Victoria 18?

victoria_18_drawing.jpg

It's sort of the poor man's Cape Dory Typhoon, which is already the poor man's Herreshoff. 2 feet of draft with a long full keel... do you think it can go to windward at all?

Latest posts