Full Pelt Rig

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Ok,

what are the anarchists' takes on the "jumper" config on Full Pelt. Looks to me like a shroud that runs all the way from the cathedral strut to the deck. That has got to be an aerodynamic drag problem. Never seen anything like it, you?

D

Lanson

Anarchist
au
How about on a 49er?
We tried the same setup on a Martin 243, it didn't seem to change the rig much.
there's a bit of difference in angle when the rig has plenty of prebend.

we have it on the bethwaite sportsboat which has similar rig design to 49ers

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Does the leeward cathedral ever go slack and vibrate like crazy? It would not even have to go that slack to do so, given it's length.

D

Mike in CT

Anarchist
CT
Whats the line coming out or the mast where the vang is attached. is this a controll line for the pusher vang? if so why does it go to the deck at that angle, instead of in the mast or boom?

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Whats the line coming out or the mast where the vang is attached. is this a controll line for the pusher vang? if so why does it go to the deck at that angle, instead of in the mast or boom?
Mike,

That one I can answer. That is to keep the mast from bending too far forward. It is either metal, like most other standing rigging, or perhaps some composite material. Looks to me like this boats OTHER standing rigging is composite, and that 1/2 height diagonal is perhaps steel. You don't need this with a conventional vang, because the deck does this job.

D

Lanson

Anarchist
au
Does the leeward cathedral ever go slack and vibrate like crazy? It would not even have to go that slack to do so, given it's length.
always slack (uphill) and never vibrates

I think if it was a light piece of rope then it may get up enough movement to vibrate, though the wire just sits there.