Fund Raiser for Hans and his family

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
We are all saddened by the tragic loss of Hans and feel for his wife and family. Perhaps we could all help by setting up a fundraiser for his wife and family with a little help from the Ed and Sailing Anarchy. I'm not sure how many members SA had now days but even if we all contributed only $2 each it would go a long way for the family and would show the sailing world just how powerful SA and its members are.

Your Thoughts..?

Last edited by a moderator:

sailingk8

Super Anarchist
The Swamp
Great idea! I'm in.

Where could an account be set up to benifit the best return (ie: no taxes)

Last edited by a moderator:

needforspeed

Great Idea Terra, lets ask the Ed or SA to look into this, some account would be needed , perhaps we could all make a contribution online via link from SA..? Don't know only thinking out aloud here. Anyone got any suggestions..?

Perhaps we (SA) could contact AA2 themselves and ask for their input on behalf of SA..? They could set this up being money people and that way it would be official and authenticated via ABM Amro.

ED, where are you.?

f off

Anarchist
annap
Lets hope a company like ABN AMRO can help out the family. They are a financial services company so maybe they can set up the pipeline for all that want to contribute.

Respectfully I think the ED has his plate pretty full these days, but a note to the head of ABN AMRO asking for permission to align SA with their cause of helping the family seems totally doable.

Again it is probably too early to even address the issue, but I wonder if ABN AMRO, knowing the potential danger of the event, has any kind of benefits set up in their contracts with the sailor to help families left in such a gut wrenching situation.

Again probably the furthest thing from the family's mind, but interesting question.

lucas

Super Anarchist
They (ABN AMRO) too are shocked, out of respect the commercial with the VO70's is taken off.

In their reaction they mention that the important persons to support are the wife of Hans, his young child and unbourn. It sounded like there will be some sort of trustfund by the employer.

That said, I am all for a SA-one. I think it is a great way to show what a community like this can achieve and what respect we all have for fellow sailors.

marian

Super Anarchist
I e-mailed ABN last night asking about a fund. Not heard back yet, but I will be VERY surprised if they do not set something up.

marian

Super Anarchist
As most of you know, the majority of VOR stories go in BYM's news section, but we do have a sort of "magazine" VOR section, where we put stuff that isn't really news.

I intend to add a page about Hans to that and want to make it "different", something that really makes the man, rather than just the sailor come over. To achieve that, I would like to hear from anyone who has any anecdotes to tell, doesn't matter how small, just anything to paint a picture. Please PM me if you have something you'd like to say.

At the end of this page, I will put details of whatever fund is set up. So the better the picture is painted, the more contibutions there should be?

Bonamar

I can facilitiate this - you guys make your mind up how we want to approach it and I will go to the right person on the team.

Bonamar

I'd be surprised if Team ABN didn't set something up and when they do, I'm in for a good donation.
Agreed - let me wait and see what plans are (its very early days in this respect) - and I will report back and facilitate the SA contribution as appropriate.

I'd be surprised if Team ABN didn't set something up and when they do, I'm in for a good donation.

Agreed - let me wait and see what plans are (its very early days in this respect) - and I will report back and facilitate the SA contribution as appropriate.
I am in. It happens in other sports, mortor racing do it, the Merchant Seaman have a fund to support those left behind, there is also the Jokey fund etc.

Its has been so good to see the huge out pouring of support from all.

Hans' was one of our pioneers, he will be missed but not forgotten.

Mid

Blues Rule
Team Alinghi / Brad Butterworth from SpainHans, sent to: 5/19/2006 10:30:42 AM

On behalf of all the sailors and team members of Alinghi, I extend to the family, friends and team mates of Hans Horrevoets our profound shock and sorrow at the loss of his life in the Atlantic. Hans Horrevoets was a greatly respected sailor and the sailing world is much poorer for his loss. The thoughts and sympathy of all members of Alinghi are with his family and friends at this difficult time. Yours sincerely Brad Butterworth President Alinghi
apologies if i'm pushing it .....

if you haven't done so here is the on line condolences book

Here