Funky Quarter Tonner arrived in Dublin

freakIRL

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
This wondrously funky (to my eye anyway) old quarter tonner has arrived in the RIYC in Dun Laoghaire, somebody's project boat.

Anyone know the designer? Original name? Successful back in the day?

gallery_1804_187_431102.jpg

The keel looks like it is modeled on a Spitfire wing!

gallery_1804_187_428293.jpg

Slight touch of tumblehome forward of that severely pinched transom?

Mast has three spreaders, runner and checkstays. Outboard bracket. Sitting on a 1720 trailer.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
It's just come in from Italy. The new owner has been looking for it (or similar) for a while and has been paranoid that the Brits would snap it up should they have found out about it. You are going to have to wait and see what it rates. Work could be on going for some time.

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Looking again at the photo, it seems the stern has been drawn out from the original transom. If it's a modified production boat, I'd guess it's a Farr 727 with flush deck and extended stern. Keel is not 727 but could have been updated.

No, scratch that. The deck line just forward of what I think is the original transom has a scallop to it that the 727 didn't have.

Looks roomy and comfortable below - didn't the quarters have head and shoulder-room requirements like the larger tonners?

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
It looks very like a Stephen Jones designed SK700.

Maybe it was the prototype but I think the SK700 was only a minitonner and not a quarter.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
I have a frightful feeling that I sailed on that thing when it was new. Designed by Mino Simeone, a complete nutter. All his boats were long and horribly distorted around the bum.

He did a 2-tonner called Geronimo which was the only 49-footer in the Worlds in 82, and was about 9 feet longer than all the others. I remember German Frers, Ron H and Doug P standing under it in the yard in Porto Cervo scratching their heads in puzzlement. Finally Ron summed it up: "If this guy's right, we've all been wrong for ever." As expected, we were staggeringly last every race.

The designer was also naviguessing, and for the long offshore brought aboard a 20-kilo bag of raw onions, which he proceeded to skin and eat like apples for the next 2 days hunched over the chart table. The skins finally clogged the bilge pump strainers. Plus the owner's son slept (and snored) with his eyes wide open - a nasty shock when clambering below after a frustrating watch on deck trying to get the pig above 6 knots. Strange times.

Italian designers were experimenting full-tilt then. Simeone. Sciomachen. Vallicelli (but at least he designed pretty ones). Who knew?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twitchy

It's just come in from Italy. The new owner has been looking for it (or similar) for a while and has been paranoid that the Brits would snap it up should they have found out about it. You are going to have to wait and see what it rates. Work could be on going for some time.
Has the owner spotted some potential in this boat that nobody else has seen? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. What is special about this boat and what is getting done to it?

OCS

stephen jones had a fairly successful 1/4 tonner called "odd job". It does have some similarities to the NZ whiting. BMAX seams a long way forward though for the Downunder approach.

stephen jones had a fairly successful 1/4 tonner called "odd job". It does have some similarities to the NZ whiting. BMAX seams a long way forward though for the Downunder approach.

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
I'm with Rum Punch, Alain Jezequal 1978 or 1979.

No way to tell which one AFAIK. I seem to recall reading that there were 10 or more built.

In the 1979 worlds, Lisa was 3rd, Los Angeles 4th, Paolo V 7, Cri Cri 8th, Freeway 9th.

5 out of the top 10 is pretty damn good in a fleet of 56 boats from 17 countries.

PS - to those who hate IOR boats, that was a pretty damn good fleet considering the J/24 was also attracting strong fleets at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: