Galley equipment

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
While it doesn't affect the contents, there is something nice about the ritual of removing the cork. And I'm not a gadget guy, but I've had a food-related career, so I do like good, simple galley tools (particularly knives and pans) and have a small collection of favorite corkscrews.
Fleetwood said:
Up to several percent of wine is corked, due to poor quality corks or inadequate storage - the compelling reason to go to screw caps.
A video for this occasion:

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Speaking of knives, how are people storing them on board?  In a drawer?  Conventional butcher’s block seems too un-secure.  

My freshly-completed galley extension has a couple of inset spice-rack shaped alcoves. I’ve been thinking that a tip-out butcher’s block might go in one of them.  Such that nothing could fly out when it is locked in place.  

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Speaking of knives, how are people storing them on board?  In a drawer?  Conventional butcher’s block seems too un-secure.  

My freshly-completed galley extension has a couple of inset spice-rack shaped alcoves. I’ve been thinking that a tip-out butcher’s block might go in one of them.  Such that nothing could fly out when it is locked in place.  
We don't have so many knives that we need a butcher block to store them. Aside from butter and steak knives which live in the cutlery tray, we have a standard kitchen knife and a smaller slicing/paring knife. These live in the drawer but each has its own sheath.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

We had a wonderful countertop block that came with our knives...I gave it to my parents.

So we found a flat knife rack that would fit in a drawer. It holds them all and keeps them from flying around. The only thing I don't like about it is it has the knives rest on the blades. The old block was designed to rest the knives on their sides.

HFC Hunter

Super Anarchist
On board, go with something like the staysharp. Cheap enough to use cheerfully around the boat. Protected blade when stowed in a drawer or thrown into the inflatable. Thin enough for filleting. Stays pretty dang sharp. 

2F158470-921B-4D87-B62A-22D8B7ECDF5C.jpeg

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
On 5/29/2019 at 4:30 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

There's a much better manual chopper (though I love the As Seen On TV shit).  I don't even use my beautiful wedding present food processor anymore at home when I'm doing anything that isn't huge.  This thing is so quick and so powerful, and it gets those outboard pulling muscles working well.  Apologies if it's like 20 posts up but i don't check in here often.

http://www.chefn.com/veggichoptm-vegetable-chopper.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDCrY0xxSucJ0GwWSgpmNr_ezfGDcveVhrYafVGO0D8FAtDB3xJnw_RoClrMQAvD_BwE

Chef'n makes some nifty gear. Their collapsible silicone colanders are awesome. Available in several sizes. Had one for ten years, used it almost daily, and when it failed at a crease I was online ten minutes later buying a replacement. :) The big size straddles the basin of a 33" double sink.

http://www.chefn.com/sleekstorr-collapsible-large-11-colander-arugula-meringue.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf979at_cD3MhC6cBTC9olNH_QeRDo6yWagQKCCXO9CMckbtUuRsHs0gaAnZrEALw_wcB

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
And heavy, and takes up space.

We have a cutlery tray that is designed for kitchen implements instead of forks/spoons/butter knives. It’s on the top (short height) shelf of an under-counter cabinet and acts as a drawer, and the knives (filet, paring, cleaver, bread, cook’s) nest in one section. Cabinet door has a catch so they are safe stowed. I’m not a fan of sheaving. In the salty-air humidity, leather molds, and blades rust. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Really mess with them, ask how much would a "Last", "Sack" or "Amphora" of the divine product would cost.

- Stumbling
In  'straya the 'goon can still be found... https://www.liquorland.com.au/redwine/pleasant-valley-sweet-apera-flagon-2lt_101943 

It predates cask or box wine and these days is mainly port or sweet sherry... back in the dream time I seem to recall sweet white wines... the ones that used glycol for added sweetness....

As the blurb for the one linked to above says...'Perfect for cooking or mixed drinks' or that two dog night on a park bench with only a copy of the Sporting Globe for company...... 

That was why Stanton the Elder went gaga

Mid

Blues Rule
So his neighbours baked bungarra on a barbie on the lawn
And invited all their relatives from Meekatharra to come down
'Hey, Edwin, don't you forget to bring a big flagon of woobla
There's a party on at my 'ouse!'

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Something everyone should have, a Kenmore Cooker Fryer with Automatic Heat Control. This one belonged to my in-laws and was probably purchased in the 1950s. It is now in our "infrequently used appliance room." Although we cannot locate the user manual, I suspect that you can plug this baby in and do anything. Note that in addition to the SS frying basket, it has a real glass lid. It is very substantial.

I apologize for this sideways view. (Maybe Ish can fix it.)

IMG_4214.JPG

Here  is the amazing range of things you can do: baked beans to fish balls. The rectangle above the temperature dial is just a light - like a waffle iron light - not a digital read out. I felt that this reference plate should be updated for cheese fondue. I sent a letter to Sears, Roebuck & Co., but no answer yet.

IMG_4215.JPG

PM me if you'd like to borrow it for a party.  :D

IStream

Super Anarchist
Something everyone should have, a Kenmore Cooker Fryer with Automatic Heat Control. This one belonged to my in-laws and was probably purchased in the 1950s. It is now in our "infrequently used appliance room." Although we cannot locate the user manual, I suspect that you can plug this baby in and do anything. Note that in addition to the SS frying basket, it has a real glass lid. It is very substantial.

I apologize for this sideways view. (Maybe Ish can fix it.)

View attachment 312156

Here  is the amazing range of things you can do: baked beans to fish balls. The rectangle above the temperature dial is just a light - like a waffle iron light - not a digital read out. I felt that this reference plate should be updated for cheese fondue. I sent a letter to Sears, Roebuck & Co., but no answer yet.

View attachment 312154

PM me if you'd like to borrow it for a party.  :D
That Kenmore would definitely merit a place of honor in my kitchen.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
That is oddly reminiscent of one of my laboratory heating baths, but probably less precise.  You fill it with water or antifreeze, or oil, or sand, depending on what temperature you want and for what.  It's part of my rotary evaporator set.

e028682-medium.jpg

I think the only "vintage" kitchen appliance that I've kept from the ancestors is this 1920's percolator set... I think this is the same one, but mine is on a silver tray.  It works, though it takes a long time to perk.  The cord looks awfully sketchy.  Can't imagine who I'd actually deploy it for.  Yacht Club Nobs in blue blazers, I suppose. Would look OK on something with a lot more brightwork and LOA than my boat.

Ah.  Just had to keep scrolling down to find a better image:

51891299_1_x.jpg

TQA

Super Anarchist
Caribbean
When I can find it I buy McCormick disposable pepper grinders because they are adjustable  

Sure I would like a nice tall matched polished set for posh but McCormick do me just fine. My morning baguette stuffed with bacon and egg needs that sprinkle of coarse ground pepper and it tastes just as good posh grinder or plebeian.

BTW if you are desperate it is possible to pry off the top of the McCormick and refill it. My success rate is about 60 %