Galveston to Veracruz boat capsized, crew missing

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
Jeezis, that blog is like a slo-mo 911 call. Hope this ends well..............

Last edited by a moderator:

GLAZE

Rockwall, TX
Just got the email from an A&M buddy of mine.

A&M Alumni,

There is a preliminary report that the cynthia woods, crewed by the TAMUG offshore sailing team and Ross Busby (our new president), has lost contact with the racing officials in the Regata de Amigos... please read the report below.

"Saturday, June 7, 2008

6:35 p.m.

Earlier today, Texas A&M University at Galveston contacted the US Coast Guard to report that the crew of the Cynthia Woods, a 38 foot Cape Fear sailboat, on which safety officers and students were sailing, failed to check in as scheduled at 8:00 a.m. The Coast Guard launched a search off the coast of Freeport as a precaution. Since that time we have been in constant communication with the Coast Guard and the families of those on board the Cynthia Woods.

At approximately 5:15 p.m. the Coast Guard reported that there was an overturned vessel in the water near the location of the last report from the Cynthia Woods transponder. That vessel is a sailboat with a blue hull similar to that of the Cynthia Woods. However, at this time there is no verification that this overturned vessel is the Cynthia Woods.

There is a helicopter on site and two Coast Guard vessels are in route. The Coast Guard continues to search the area for a liferaft and/or people in the water.

The Cynthia Woods was participating in the Regata de Amigos. This regata has been held every even-numbered year since 1968. Participants in the race sail from Galveston, Texas to Veracruz, Mexico. There are approximately 25 boats participating in this year’s race.

Additional information will be posted as it is available."

The updates can be seen at the tamug.edu website.

http://www.tamug.edu/statusupdate.htm

Information is very limited at this time, but we ask that you keep Ross and the rest of the Cynthia Woods crew in mind for a safe return.

BeerDidClam

Super Anarchist
Jeezis, that blog is like a slo-mo 911 call. Hope this ends well..............
yeah. not much discussion of conditions...what's up with that?

hope everything turns out ok...liferaft gone is a good sign.

western gulf looks pretty calm from the surface maps.

hayesrigging

The seas are anywhere from 6-10 feet with winds about 15-20kts. Last night it was probably a bit worse, we have been getting 20-25kt winds for about 5 days now, so I am sure the waves have been pretty rough offshore. Still no signs of any of the crew, hopefully the boat being from A&M Galveston that they were over cautious with safety and everyone was at least wearing a lifejacket at the time. If sounds it happened sometime between midnight and 8 am. I hope and pray they find a liferaft with survivors in it. The good news is the current and wind will wash them closer to shore as time goes on.

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
I'm not familiar with the Cape Fears. Here's some specs for those more in the know than I am----and fwiw........

Cynthia Woods

Travis R. Wright works on this boat.

year, model

2004 Cape Fear 38

type of boat

Sailboat

manufacturer

Cape Fear

length

38 ft (11.6 m)

profile views

props

11/16/2007

type of boat

Racer

hull material

Fiberglass

latitude, longitude

29.313, -94.817

Galveston, Tx United States

marina/club/other

Small Boat Basin

Engine

engine fuel

Diesel

number of

type

Inboard

manufacturer

Volvo Penta

hours

horsepower

35 per engine

year, model

2006 Sail Drive

Sail

sail rigging

total sail size

895 sq ft (895.00 sq m)

Range

fuel

40 gal (151.42 L)

fresh water maker

No

A/C

No

solar power

No

Dimensions

length

38 ft (11.58 m)

beam

14 ft (4.27 m)

draft

7.5 ft (2.29 m)

bridge clearance

55 ft (16.76 m)

Electronics

GPS: Garmen

Radar: Faruno

Radio: Westmarine

Living

Heads: 1

Dread

Earth
from the iboattrack and A&M Galveston Websites:

Texas A&M University at Galveston has received confirmation that the overturned vessel identified earlier this afternoon was the Cynthia Woods, a 38-foot Cape Fear sailboat, on which six safety officers and students were sailing in the Regata de Amigos from Galveston to Veracruz, Mexico.

Coast Guard officials said that the keel of the overturned vessel had been ripped off, which indicates the Cynthia Woods may have hit something in the water. The Coast Guard also found the Cynthia Woods' horseshoe-like floatation device detached from the vessel.

Crew members aboard the vessel have been confirmed as Texas A&M at Galveston students Steven Guy of The Woodlands, Joe Savana of Sugar Land and Travis Wright of League City; Ross James Buzbee of The Woodlands, a student at Texas A&M University in College Station; and safety officers Steve Conway of Texas A&M at Galveston and Roger Stone, a Galveston resident.

The Coast Guard is expected to continue searching for the crew throughout the night.

Please check back to this Web site periodically as additional information becomes available.

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
Anyone know what could be floating around in that area that could knock this keel off?........

roverhi

Kona, HI
looks liike another short, deep draft, bulb problem. The strains on the hull to keel to attachment on these boats is just too much to take unexpected loads. These type of boats may be fast but they aren't ready for prime time. Sail at your own risk.

Aloha

Peter O.

kagray

It's late and my reading comprehension is way off, so I could've missed it. Does anybody know how far out they were?
Damn I hope they find these guys bobbing in the raft with a good story for us.

Boat was found approx 11 miles S of Matagorda. All vessels are using the iBoatTrack systrem. The regatta is here

http://charthorizon.com/races/2008_galvest...eracruz/htdocs/

You can use the track boat feature to see her course and zoom in.

According to the TAMU website the next update will be around 8 am.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

Latest posts