Gamers Unite

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Even though the ED has decided to feed the fever with a thingy on the Front Page, this gaming crap is getting to be a bit much. How's about petitioning the ED about starting a gaming Forum for you players.

Seriously, the quality of discussion on the realrace threads is almost nil. Sure not like past editions of the VOR, VG, or even IDEC's effort last Nov-Jan. Some of the best tactical stuff you can ask for is REALLY happening but instead of discussing that, posters are playing virtual games.

And then you have VOR game central who knows about as much about gaming as they know about setting up realrace trackers.

OK, rant over...return to your joysticks or whatever tool you hold while playing Virtual VORvendeeGlobe-atron

Last edited by a moderator:

us7070

Super Anarchist
Some of the best tactical stuff you can ask for is REALLY happening but instead of discussing that, posters are playing virtual games.

The games are pretty tactical.

I do nav/tactics sometimes on the boats I sail on, and have navigated ocean crossings, Newport-bermuda and "local" distance races, I think the games provide a surprisingly realistic look at the type of decision making involved in real distance racing.

Anyway, I always find it hard to follow pro sports - I'd rather do, than watch...

From what I have read, there isn't a lot of "in depth" tactics/strategy discussion in any of the reports from the boats - have I just missed the good stuff?

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Some of the best tactical stuff you can ask for is REALLY happening but instead of discussing that, posters are playing virtual games.

The games are pretty tactical.

I do nav/tactics sometimes on the boats I sail on, and have navigated ocean crossings, Newport-bermuda and "local" distance races, I think the games provide a surprisingly realistic look at the type of decision making involved in real distance racing.

Anyway, I always find it hard to follow pro sports - I'd rather do, than watch...

From what I have read, there isn't a lot of "in depth" tactics/strategy discussion in any of the reports from the boats - have I just missed the good stuff?
No doubt the games have edu value. It's the distraction/disappointment factor that caused the rant. Seriously, in the past all the good chit-chat about tactics, sailing conditions, etc. pertained to the realRace. Now most of it has been shifted to the virtual world. That's ok, but when it lessens the quality of the threads to the point that the realRace discussion consists of fewer than 3 posts in a 24 hour period, sumthin's gonna get said...so I have.

As far as meaty tactical stuff coming from the realSkippers, it ain't gonna happen, at least from the lead pack. It's up to lumpen armchair types to guess moves and bitch and moan about missed opportunities.

Crikey, you could write a frickin' book about what's been going on with Sodeb'O. Check the thread. Hardly a word.

Super Anarchist
Chicago
What is this “Front Page” folks speak of? I hear it is a myth like the Yeti. “Real” Round the World Race discussions with Tactical Information... You mean to say that real live people are out there battling the elements in the Southern Ocean? Baloney, It’s all about arrows on a blue background and multi colour competitors to Smack Talk while waiting for the next 12hr Update.

Right?!? :blink: :eek: ;)

marian

Super Anarchist
Even though the ED has decided to feed the fever with a thingy on the Front Page, this gaming crap is getting to be a bit much. How's about petitioning the ED about starting a gaming Forum for you players.
Seriously, the quality of discussion on the realrace threads is almost nil. Sure not like past editions of the VOR, VG, or even IDEC's effort last Nov-Jan. Some of the best tactical stuff you can ask for is REALLY happening but instead of discussing that, posters are playing virtual games.

And then you have VOR game central who knows about as much about gaming as they know about setting up realrace trackers.

OK, rant over...return to your joysticks or whatever tool you hold while playing Virtual VORvendeeGlobe-atron
Couldn't agree more. Come on Ed, split them off into Games Anarchy.

I joined SA because of the really interesting and informative discussions on the old VOR forum, I certainly wouldn't have bothered if it had been full of stuff about a game.

bomvu

Anarchist
UK
I for one don't usually post but have been on the game threads. I don't really have anythign to contribute on tactics.

But I'm learning a lot while trying to play the game. Maybe by the end of it, I may just understand what all the maps that Born2Sail posts actually mean!! :)

born2sail

Super Anarchist
How does a separate forum for gamers solve the 'problem' of folks not commenting in other threads?
Probably nothing, except it does help to separate some of the wheat from the chaff...At some point Ocean Racing Anarchy will be so full of gamer chit-chat that newbies in only for the gaming will rummage thru other threads looking for friends (has already happened) or looking for advice (has already happened) or whatever (has probably already happened).

Nothing will send people to Scuttlebutt faster than having to sift thru virtualRace chatter to find realRace posts on the realRace threads.

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
How does a separate forum for gamers solve the 'problem' of folks not commenting in other threads?
Probably nothing, except it does help to separate some of the wheat from the chaff...At some point Ocean Racing Anarchy will be so full of gamer chit-chat that newbies in only for the gaming will rummage thru other threads looking for friends (has already happened) or looking for advice (has already happened) or whatever (has probably already happened).

Nothing will send people to Scuttlebutt faster than having to sift thru virtualRace chatter to find realRace posts on the realRace threads.
eh. so let em go to scuttlebutt then.

gusmus

Super Anarchist
The Virtual games only run for about 90 days. Are you suggesting that SA pays for another forum that will sit empty for 3 years and 9 months at a time?. The gaming threads don't have to be read and as for newbies. I was under the impression that everyone was welcome no matter what silly questions they ask. Talk about elitist for gods sake!!

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting

Relevant rant. It really should be in General Anarchy where all of the other virtual sailing games have threads. Literally, all of them. VVOR & VVG should be no different.

Sending in my request to Dawg that the threads be moved to GA...

gusmus

Super Anarchist

Relevant rant. It really should be in General Anarchy where all of the other virtual sailing games have threads. Literally, all of them. VVOR & VVG should be no different.

Why the hell do that? A lot of us have interest in the VOR and the Vendee. With everything on the same page it's a simple matter to jump between the threads without having to scour the forum to keep up with the sailing news.

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting

Why the hell do that? A lot of us have interest in the VOR and the Vendee. With everything on the same page it's a simple matter to jump between the threads without having to scour the forum to keep up with the sailing news.
Because it's a game and has no relevance to real racing. It is also where all the other virtual sailing threads are, these are no different and if they really are trashing up ORA threads, they should move.

Give the View New Posts feature a try. It will help you with that.

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
'view new posts' and the 'refresh' button. it's like SA on crack.

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
Because it's a game and has no relevance to real racing. It is also where all the other virtual sailing threads are, these are no different and if they really are trashing up ORA threads, they should move.
Give the View New Posts feature a try. It will help you with that.
General Anarchy is not where all the other virtual sailing threads are.

born2sail

Super Anarchist

eh. so let em go to scuttlebutt then.
It's not the gamers that'll go [email protected]#k ;)

born2sail

Super Anarchist
The Virtual games only run for about 90 days. Are you suggesting that SA pays for another forum that will sit empty for 3 years and 9 months at a time?. The gaming threads don't have to be read and as for newbies. I was under the impression that everyone was welcome no matter what silly questions they ask. Talk about elitist for gods sake!!
Elitist, no. Purist, yes. Newbies are the life blood of a sailing forum if sailing precedes their interest in gaming, and they want to contribute with realSailing content rather than dumb the place down with gamer chit-chat.

This forum is called Ocean Racing Anarchy. Playing Virtual VOR and Virtual Vendee Globe games is like going on a hunting trip and spending all your time "shooting" an arcade gun at little bears and deer with red target spots on their bodies. Helps your aim maybe, but it won't put game on the table.

Slight correction - the Virtual VOR runs in legs, I believe, until next June. Not 90 days.

As for paying for empty forums - how long was the forum for the Olympics here - at least 4 years - and closed ever since I joined 3 yr ago, and only removed last month. So it has been done before. Look at all the closed OTW forums we're keeping around now. It will be done again.

Latest posts