Gas Prices

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
just read this, what a fucking joke,

why they just print the money out and give it to the greedy oil companies? Who already have record profits this year?

Opinion: Soaring gas prices are hurting Americans. It's time for more stimulus checks - CNN

Down here road traffic is congested and power boat traffic on the ICW "the Ditch" was worst then I-95

When people stop driving gas guzzling trucks and 1000hp boats then gas prices are about right.

In 1970 I brought a new car for $2000, and gas was 20 cents a gallon, now a new car is about $45000 so then gas should be $4.50 a gal?

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
So buy a Tesla and a Torqeedo.  Easy peasy...

gas prices.png

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
From the 60's thru the mid 90's, I recall that a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and a gallon of gasoline were within the same ball park... not the same all of the time nor everywhere, but it seemed to average out that way. 

So, yes - the market price for distilled petroleum brought halfway around the world appears to be about where it is.  Choose a more efficient means of transportation, America, not Ford Excursions & Caddilac Escalades for daily commuter vehicles.  This'll bring demand down enough overall, so that those who HAVE to drive a truck for work purposes & farming won't have to pay $4+/gal any more than the rest of us.

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
If part of the increase is limitations on supply from the Ukraine invasion, and especially if it hurts Russia in some way, I'm willing to pay a couple bucks higher per gallon.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
That was April 2020, when oil prices were negative. When it returned to "normal" prices were around $40, where they stayed until the election. Nice try at distraction, but oil prices were at $80/bbl before the war, and the current administration likes it that way, so long as they can try to blame someone else.

High oil prices are not a byproduct of progressive governance, they are a feature of it. Even now progressives in Congress are calling for a ban on drilling on federal lands. https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/03/17/green-groups-praise-progressive-dems-call-climate-emergency-declaration Progressives want high oil prices in order to hasten a transition to alternative fuels, whether or not the public is ready for it. The map shows that the Federal government owns nearly all of the lands productive of oil and gas in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. The proposed ban would also affect federal waters.

Words we have never heard from this administration are "We are committed to working with the domestic oil industry to increase production of America's oil on American soil." 

822249818_image(1).jpg

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
That was April 2020, when oil prices were negative. When it returned to "normal" prices were around $40, where they stayed until the election. Nice try at distraction, but oil prices were at $80/bbl before the war, and the current administration likes it that way, so long as they can try to blame someone else.
The last of those production cuts is set to expire in September.  So in light of a recovering economy the world is still being affected by an agreement to save the oil industry.  If that is distraction then I would have proposed an agreement 2 years ago to have production to help stabilize prices since big swings either way really screw with the economy.  Always easier to blame the POTUS, funny that all those countries paying $9-10/gallon aren't doing that.

edit: I noticed you didn't answer my question about federal leasing differences between independents vs majors - I have zero experience in that area and would appreciate your input.  I am also in favor of investing in clean energy because of climate change. FWIW in the past couple of years the unpredictability of weather is really screwing with regattas - the latest being the J22 circuit stop/mid winters on Galveston bay this weekend. Friday 2 much wind, Sat not enough so 2 very light airs in, Sunday got in 3.  In my decades of sailing here Spring was typically good breeze with Fall not so much.  Summers were breeze from the land in the morning with a short lull mid day then sea breeze all afternoon. That doesn't happen anymore.  Not saying it's climate change just saying it is now different based on my 60 years on the bay.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
The last of those production cuts is set to expire in September.  So in light of a recovering economy the world is still being affected by an agreement to save the oil industry.  If that is distraction then I would have proposed an agreement 2 years ago to have production to help stabilize prices since big swings either way really screw with the economy.  Always easier to blame the POTUS, funny that all those countries paying $9-10/gallon aren't doing that.
But that's exactly what you're trying, nonsensically, to do, blame the previous guy when it's the policies of the current guy.  

Those production cuts expired the day Biden took office and abrogated the agreement by cutting off arms sales to SA. .https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrats-biden-stop-saudi-arms-deal_n_6011a1a4c5b6b8719d893d4a He also dropped the Iran-supported Houthis from the list of terrorist organizations to court favor with the Iranians. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/biden-administration-remove-houthis-terrorist-list-reversing-another-trump-policy-n1256923 Think that pisses off the Saudis? 

The fact is that the Saudis don't have a lot of excess capacity, especially with the Houthis lobbing Iranian supplied missiles at their facilities. https://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-says-wont-bear-150033771.html

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
But that's exactly what you're trying, nonsensically, to do, blame the previous guy when it's the policies of the current guy.  

Those production cuts expired the day Biden took office and abrogated the agreement by cutting off arms sales to SA. .https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrats-biden-stop-saudi-arms-deal_n_6011a1a4c5b6b8719d893d4a He also dropped the Iran-supported Houthis from the list of terrorist organizations to court favor with the Iranians. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/biden-administration-remove-houthis-terrorist-list-reversing-another-trump-policy-n1256923 Think that pisses off the Saudis? 

The fact is that the Saudis don't have a lot of excess capacity, especially with the Houthis lobbing Iranian supplied missiles at their facilities. https://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-says-wont-bear-150033771.html
And exactly what do those links have to do with oil production? They do address the ongoing conflicts in the ME which is way above my pay grade.  If the Saudis are limited in their production capacity why did they engage in a price war with Russia which started the price collapse?  I am not interested in a Republicans are Good Democrats are Bad debate which is why after you stated no politics on our sailing trip I didn't take the bait when several times you brought up Warren's "You didn't build it" comment because it was taken out of context.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Then why is gas over $8/gal here?

Twice the price it is in Bellingham.

We didn't vote for Biden.
You might start with the $2/gallon in taxes in Vancouver. Other than that, I know little about Canadian oil policies, except that I once declined to buy an O & G production company in London, Ont,  when I saw what the regulatory burden was.

And exactly what do those links have to do with oil production? They do address the ongoing conflicts in the ME which is way above my pay grade.  If the Saudis are limited in their production capacity why did they engage in a price war with Russia which started the price collapse?  I am not interested in a Republicans are Good Democrats are Bad debate which is why after you stated no politics on our sailing trip I didn't take the bait when several times you brought up Warren's "You didn't build it" comment because it was taken out of context.
I'm just presenting facts. You brought SA into the discussion. I'm NOT saying one side is good or bad. I'm saying that progressive attitudes towards oil production are well known, so nobody should be surprised when they are implemented and have the intended effect. Simple. I'll leave judging whether that is good or bad to others.

edit: I noticed you didn't answer my question about federal leasing differences between independents vs majors - I have zero experience in that area and would appreciate your input. 
As I recall your question was about how regulators at various levels treat independents vs. majors. I was, and am, quite busy but will attempt to give a brief answer.

On a Federal level, ask yourself if regulators would rather work with 10 giant companies with giant compliance departments or with 5000 small companies? The answer should be obvious, just as banking regulators would rather work with 15-20 superbanks so large that they can embed their people within the bank, or thousands of small local bank. So yes they frequently are downright unreasonable. Hazel O'Leary, secretary of energy under Clinton, quite famously said that there was no place in our economy for Mom & Pop oil companies (like mine) and that we should just go out of business now (that was around 1995 or so). Made me feel loved. :wub:  

Federal regulators seem to love playing gotcha. Last year I got a letter from the EPA that consisted of 2 pages of what I had done wrong, and 30 pages of the fines and penalties, which could have clearly put me out of business. Problem was, nobody from the EPA had bothered to go out in a pickup truck and confirm the facts on the ground. The "unpermitted flare" didn't even belong to me, never has. I had another rep from them once tell me that a problem in Oklahoma would go away if I made that stream flow the other way. No shit.

On the State level it's quite, quite different. In New Mexico, it changes with administrations, as you might expect. Since anti-oil progressives currently run Santa Fe, the business environment is quite unfriendly. They do however love oil money, so they've made it clear that they expect the US taxpayers to make up the gap when oil revenue runs short as drilling and pipeline permits are denied. 

Texas, as you know, touts itself as being "open for business". It's true. The Railroad Commission is actually usually a pleasure to deal with. The regulations are strict, but they view their jobs as helping you to comply. I've even had them offer to fill out the forms for me so it would be done correctly. The best run regulatory agency at any level that I have ever encountered. Should put them in charge of the DMV. 

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Texas, as you know, touts itself as being "open for business". It's true. The Railroad Commission is actually usually a pleasure to deal with. The regulations are strict, but they view their jobs as helping you to comply. I've even had them offer to fill out the forms for me so it would be done correctly. The best run regulatory agency at any level that I have ever encountered. Should put them in charge of the DMV. 
This candidate for Railroad Commissioner should be fun to deal with.

texas-railroad-candidate-topless-05.jpg

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
just read this, what a fucking joke,

why they just print the money out and give it to the greedy oil companies? Who already have record profits this year?

Opinion: Soaring gas prices are hurting Americans. It's time for more stimulus checks - CNN

Down here road traffic is congested and power boat traffic on the ICW "the Ditch" was worst then I-95

When people stop driving gas guzzling trucks and 1000hp boats then gas prices are about right.

In 1970 I brought a new car for $2000, and gas was 20 cents a gallon, now a new car is about $45000 so then gas should be $4.50 a gal?

Lets go out a couple years..

By 1977   a vw, a corolla, or a civic listed at  $1999 as they were entry level.

$1799 was the list price on my brand new Suzuki GS750 and my girlfriend's loaded camaro was $5200.

gas was $4.30 due to the "oil crisis" and only available even or odd days based on your license plate (unless you got gas on the interstate.

and minimum wage was $2.30 an hour.

So gas should be around $30 gallon currently due to the disruptions.

And remember, the economy completely flamed out due to high energy prices.

Anything made from petroleum skyrocketed (eg ski boots, snotglass boats, even polyester double knit suits in colors not known to nature.

The Carter administration founded the US Dept of energy to make sure the US would become energy independent.  45 years and what have they done but I digress...

People at the time were eating and drinking "generic" food stuffs (white wrappers with black block lettering with PASTA  or BEER printed).

Brand name products started cutting portion sizes to reduce the need to increase prices (sound familiar??).

70% of the strip malls were empty in the US.

Inflation had run away due to having to pay for the Vietnam war plus a ton of social programs.  Federal Reserve chair Paul Volcker came in and started cranking up interest rates to rein it back in.  By the time I bought my 1st house in 83, I was paying 17.5% on my mortgage.

Companies started to get serious about energy usage and this coupled with the economic malaise lowered gas prices as demand was slashed.

The world was stable and very quiet for 4 years when the US did not get goaded into any wars.

The new administration decided coffee bois needed $15 an hour, and then they gave away money they did not have (eg they just printed it).

So here we are with hot spots all over the planet and soaring inflation due to crazy commodity prices and printing too much money.

We have pissed off not only the "evil" oil producing countries (eg ,Venezuela who nationalized Exxon property in the 60s,  Iran who dared to accept something other than dollar), but even Saudi Arabia who used to kiss our ass is miffed because some low level state dept dip shit made a derogatory remark about the citizens, and they need to raise extra cash to buy more arms from the US to fight in Yeman.

Most countries are telling the US to go fuck itself and any progress to become self reliant gets shit on by dumb asses who do not actually work for a living.

There is an old saying "History may not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes."

Well actually things are a lot worse as China is about to take the world stage and all our CEOs and government officials have already sold us out over the past 25 years.  There is no manufacturing base left here, and when China cuts of the supply we will cow down to get medical supplies, crap dry wall, poisonous dog food, and cheap t-shirts.

Hope you are all strapped in because the next 3-8 years are going to be a dozy...

No need to whine about gas prices.  Just wait for December when people start freezing to death due to energy costs.

And anyone who believes anything on CNN deserves the royal ass fucking they are going to get.

Those Fuckwits do not even understand economics and why inflation is here.  Free shit and printing money is the problem and not the solution.

Brain dead corporation from masturbating announcers to the fucking idiots in management who proposed last week to make CNN a streaming channel for $5.99/mo when they have lost 90 percent of their audience who had got it for free with their cable subscription.  Air America all over again.      Fucking Brilliant!!!!!

Scotty, beam me up.   There is no intelligent life on this planet...

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Lets go out a couple years..

By 1977   a vw, a corolla, or a civic listed at  $1999 as they were entry level.

$1799 was the list price on my brand new Suzuki GS750 and my girlfriend's loaded camaro was $5200.

gas was $4.30 due to the "oil crisis" and only available even or odd days based on your license plate (unless you got gas on the interstate.

and minimum wage was $2.30 an hour.

So gas should be around $30 gallon currently due to the disruptions.

And remember, the economy completely flamed out due to high energy prices.

Anything made from petroleum skyrocketed (eg ski boots, snotglass boats, even polyester double knit suits in colors not known to nature.

The Carter administration founded the US Dept of energy to make sure the US would become energy independent.  45 years and what have they done but I digress...

People at the time were eating and drinking "generic" food stuffs (white wrappers with black block lettering with PASTA  or BEER printed).

Brand name products started cutting portion sizes to reduce the need to increase prices (sound familiar??).

70% of the strip malls were empty in the US.

Inflation had run away due to having to pay for the Vietnam war plus a ton of social programs.  Federal Reserve chair Paul Volcker came in and started cranking up interest rates to rein it back in.  By the time I bought my 1st house in 83, I was paying 17.5% on my mortgage.

Companies started to get serious about energy usage and this coupled with the economic malaise lowered gas prices as demand was slashed.

The world was stable and very quiet for 4 years when the US did not get goaded into any wars.

The new administration decided coffee bois needed $15 an hour, and then they gave away money they did not have (eg they just printed it).

So here we are with hot spots all over the planet and soaring inflation due to crazy commodity prices and printing too much money.

We have pissed off not only the "evil" oil producing countries (eg ,Venezuela who nationalized Exxon property in the 60s,  Iran who dared to accept something other than dollar), but even Saudi Arabia who used to kiss our ass is miffed because some low level state dept dip shit made a derogatory remark about the citizens, and they need to raise extra cash to buy more arms from the US to fight in Yeman.

Most countries are telling the US to go fuck itself and any progress to become self reliant gets shit on by dumb asses who do not actually work for a living.

There is an old saying "History may not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes."

Well actually things are a lot worse as China is about to take the world stage and all our CEOs and government officials have already sold us out over the past 25 years.  There is no manufacturing base left here, and when China cuts of the supply we will cow down to get medical supplies, crap dry wall, poisonous dog food, and cheap t-shirts.

Hope you are all strapped in because the next 3-8 years are going to be a dozy...

No need to whine about gas prices.  Just wait for December when people start freezing to death due to energy costs.

And anyone who believes anything on CNN deserves the royal ass fucking they are going to get.

Those Fuckwits do not even understand economics and why inflation is here.  Free shit and printing money is the problem and not the solution.

Brain dead corporation from masturbating announcers to the fucking idiots in management who proposed last week to make CNN a streaming channel for $5.99/mo when they have lost 90 percent of their audience who had got it for free with their cable subscription.  Air America all over again.      Fucking Brilliant!!!!!

Scotty, beam me up.   There is no intelligent life on this planet...
You forget the “get off my lawn” part.