GB5508 Rebuild - Soma's Project

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
Soma,

Thanks for sharing with us. Very interesting to read about the engineering and other considerations which go into doing the rebuild.

Am guessing that I'd not be the only one interested in hearing more and seeing more illustrations and photos if/when you can share.

One question. You mention that 5702 is Vandal which is in the pacific. Then you mention 5508/5702. Should that be 5508/5703?

Michael

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
Proa,

Here are the two quotes which seem to be in conflict. 5702=Vandal but the project boat is also referred to as 5702. Methinks that 5508 can't be Vandal which is 'cruising in Tahiti'

Gunboat 57” (Gunboat 5701 is “VaiVai” as featured here on the FP back in 2016. Gunboat 5702 is “Vandal” which underwent a thorough refit here at Newport Shipyard and is now cruising in Tahiti)

I quit Gunboat to oversee completion of 5508/5702 

guysmiley

Detroit MI
I took it to mean Soma took on project management of Vandal (5702) and then 5508 which is now Man-O-War 57. I could be wrong and it does read a little oddly.

Looks like a fun project!

Last edited by a moderator:

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
The wording isn't very clear but my understanding is the same as @guysmiley's.  Great story, thanks @soma.  Sounds like a turbo 55!  (57?)

Our first step (once the boat was hauled at Newport Shipyard) was to get her leveled and on scales so there wouldn’t be any surprises later. The original Gunboat 55 was designed to be 9.5 tons but ended up nearly 50% overweight (+/- 14 tons!) and about 4 degrees stern down.
[...]
Once all the cutting was done we were sitting at about 4.5 tons. We are hoping to get close to the original design weight of 9.5 tons. We won’t get there, but in the immortal words of Captain Ron, “It’s important to have goals. I learned that in rehab”.

For comparison, this is Vandal (5502):

https://www.vandal.blog/the-boat/

https://www.gunboat.com/5502-vandal-jumping-joy/

eastern motors

Anarchist
How is the new furniture going to be so much lighter than the old?  Stearns are just sugar scoops with no aft stairs?  No cabin soles?

Boat looks awesome.  Did you patent the foils?

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
soma said:
 The Gunboat 55 should have retailed for $3.5M+ if it was priced appropriately. Instead, it was introduced at $1.6m. Doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that it wasn't a viable business model. When you are losing $2m/boat, and you sell 15 boats, debt racks up quick. Volume doesn't help.
There's an old Wall Street joke about banks trying to break into the big leagues by cutting prices....

'we loose money on every trade but we make it up in volume' 

Hey there, Soma, this does indeed seem like a very intriguing evolution of the boat.  My best wishes on the project.  I’m surprised that many of those astute changes weren’t designed straight into the original concept.

I’m curious, though, about a few things.

First, you mention that this will be a “cafe racer version of the 55, dispensing with all of the irrelevancies”.  Does this mean that features that would be desirable for cruising for more than just a weekend will be absent?  Features such as fridge(s), freezer(s), water-makers, fuel storage capacity (for both the stove and the generators), water-storage capacity, septic, and comfortable places to sit/lounge?  But surely you’re going to keep the ice-maker, though; because no-doubt it will be needed post-race for celebratory drinks ;) .

Second, you mention: “The infused hatch recesses were all resin, so brittle and fussy. We cut those out altogether”. What have you done instead for the hatch recesses?  Or alternatively did you mean that there are now no hatches?  If the latter, then what are your thoughts on brightness and air circulation in the hulls?  As an extension of this latter point, it strikes me that the cubbies will be great for decreasing the chance for mildew to form -- but this particular great improvement may be negated if there is not enough air circulation in the hull. <my apologies if I’m just thinking things through too much; it’s a bad habit of mine :) >.

Finally, you mention: “will have loose floorboards”.  Excuse me for cringing, but won’t this result in a very noisy boat during passages?  Or is that not really a consideration in the design brief for this particular cafe racer”?  Perhaps the race-crew will be too busy to even attempt the ‘luxuries’ of sleeping or staying sane?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Cafe-Racer

12.jpg

Does that help J?

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
soma said:
The hull was purchased for pennies on the dollar. The cost to finish will be in line with the original purchase price, but only because this buyer got the hull for so cheap. The Gunboat 55 should have retailed for $3.5M+ if it was priced appropriately. Instead, it was introduced at $1.6m. Doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that it wasn't a viable business model. When you are losing $2m/boat, and you sell 15 boats, debt racks up quick. Volume doesn't help.
So the original owner of that hull deceided to get a few $’s and walk away? Did he buy another boat?

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
soma said:
Very nice couple. There were a lot of great folks who got burned. They had a funny line when I saw them at the Newport Boatshow a few years ago. They said, "we thought we were going to get a Gunboat. Instead, we got a Done-boat" (i.e. a boat that's already floating). They got a nice monohull. 
Glad to hear they still got a boat. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Hey Soma,

Does the aft face of the cockpit/aft beam just sort of terminate into the side of the hull? I'm sure if Dirk was involved he would have some sort of load path for it.

When you run aground with the lovely T-daggerboards, how much to ship a new set to Moorea?  :)

Seriously that wood furniture sounds awful. Who would put plywood into a fast carbon boat.

Nothing wrong with loose floor boards. Why would they squeak - the hull won't be flexing appreciably being carbon.