Gearbuster

left hook

Super Anarchist
More and more boats will be at the Intercollegiate Offshore Regatta and unable to do the Gearbuster. Wonder if IHYC has considered moving the event so that both events can benefit from having more entries.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Gearbuster has always been on Columbus Day weekend.

It accidently got moved on the preliminary schedule that was sent to member clubs last Winter and IHYC was adamant that they wanted to see it remain on Columbus Day weekend.

The InterCollegiate Regatta focuses primarily, if not wholly, on one design boats. OD boats and their associations don't tend to do distance racing as class events. Nor are there normally enough OD boats from a single fleet to get an OD start for Gearbuster or most distance races. So the perceived overlap, limiting a large number of boats from doing both, is pretty much a non-issue.

It accidently got moved on the preliminary schedule that was sent to member clubs last Winter and IHYC was adamant that they wanted to see it remain on Columbus Day weekend.

The InterCollegiate Regatta focuses primarily, if not wholly, on one design boats. OD boats and their associations don't tend to do distance racing as class events. Nor are there normally enough OD boats from a single fleet to get an OD start for Gearbuster or most distance races. So the perceived overlap, limiting a large number of boats from doing both, is pretty much a non-issue.
Not so sure. IOR is now closing in on 50 boats and phrf and level 72 circle is growing. More donation boats are still needed! We would be doing Gearbuster if not for the IOR. 3 day weekend is needed for IOR for travel these kids are coming from all over the country. I think it's all about the puking.

left hook

Super Anarchist
Heard this weekend that 59 teams are showing up at the IOR. Very exciting if true.

I disagree with the premise that many boats would not do both if they were given the option - whether as a OD or not. Especially among the handicap fleets.

BigBoatHack

I heard the membership likes it this way. Less college kids puking on the Sunfish Bar.
Idiot. Let's just make stuff up why don't we. And btw are we to take it that the membership of whatever rathole you belong to would welcome the idea of kids puking in their bar?

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse

Whoo hooo hoio! Lokke who nose so muche abote YTA scedulling!!!

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Relax BBH. MD44 is just poking fun at our resident binge drinker who has a bad habit of tossing his cookies in an indiscriminate fashion.

As for the notion that there is or would be a great deal of crossover. Any boat that is doing Gearbuster to solidify their position for YRALIS overall annual trophies isn't going to forego the opportunity of improving their standing in favor of doing the InterCollegiate Regatta.

Having run the InterCollegiate Regatta in the days prior to STC's stewardship, lent my boat to the event, and/or acted as a safety officer, I have a fairly good feel for the folks who lend their boats and their reasons for doing so. A fair number have already ended their racing for the year, so those boats are not interested in doing Gearbuster in the first place. Are there a few? Perhaps, but I would be surprised if it was a half dozen boats. My guess would be 2-4 that have a decision to make in that regard.

As for room in the schedule. The calendar year compresses and expands on a four year cycle (IIRC). The practicality of running Gearbuster OR The Intercollegiate Regatta on a different weekend does not work year in and year out. It is just the reality of the situation. Not much can be done about it.

Shhhh Snaggie, the little shit thinks I don't contribute anything back to the sport of sailing. In fact he was chiding me just the other day that I should be more like Espo. I would hate for you to say anything that might make him have to eat his words! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Shhhh Snaggie, the little shit thinks I don't contribute anything back to the sport of sailing. In fact he was chiding me just the other day that I should be more like Espo. I would hate for you to say anything that might make him have to eat his words! :)
To Expose???? Issit possibelle? I woudente no wiche to folloe......

Okaye, mummes the worde. Yeahe, heede onley thjrowe them backe up..... :)

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Funny how he says he isn't going to get into it when he already did/has. Maybe he thinks he is on a loser, what do you think Snaggie?

Latest posts