gelcoat

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
People who resurface bathtubs/sinks/etc. use an epoxy gelcoat. They also cost about a quarter of what people who re-gelcoat boats at a marina cost. Same stuff. Or you can do it yourself if you have the right spray equipment. (In theory you can use a roller, but a sprayer will give you superior results.)

mikewof

mikewof
People who resurface bathtubs/sinks/etc. use an epoxy gelcoat. They also cost about a quarter of what people who re-gelcoat boats at a marina cost. Same stuff. Or you can do it yourself if you have the right spray equipment. (In theory you can use a roller, but a sprayer will give you superior results.)
I use a fairly affordable two part spray epoxy for my vehicles, about $120/gallon including the activator. But I always assumed that the gel-coat for boats was more pliable than vehicle 2 part. Is that correct?

SMR-140-F__30060.1628161705.png

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I've never gelcoated a "vehicle", So I don't know.
While boats should probably be more flexible than bathtubs, or toilets, they're pretty much the same, except the water is (hopefully) on the outside of one, and (hopefully) the inside of the other.
BTW you can gelcoat an old cast iron tub too, it just requires a little more prep.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Check out gelcoat compound. Sold at West Marine or other purveyors. Gritty stuff that would wreck a paint job. You apply it with a wool bonnet with a variable speed buffer and it usually brings the oxidized surface back to shiny. If it doesn’t, wet sanding with 800 through 1200 grit sandpaper followed by buffing with gelcoat compound will make it nice.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
If it's not so far gone as to require wet sanding, just use Meguiars #4 compound on a wool buff on a good VSR sander polisher.

You'll be able to shave in the reflections.

They call it a "heavy cut cleaner" but don't be swayed by that - their base is car paint, not gel-coat.

Before & after

Attachments

• c.JPG
    c.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 10
  • g9.JPG
    g9.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 11

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks

Here’s a trick, take a pencil and scribble it all over the area you are working on, wet sand starting at 600 grit until the scribble marks disappear. Do this again with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, buff and wax. I have done this on a couple of old boats over the year and they came out looking new.