Getting Tough With The Maskless

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
From an article in the Chicago Tribune

The best pro-health sign I’ve seen this pandemic is the one posted at both North Side locations of the Chicago Bagel Authority sandwich shop:

“To accommodate anti-maskers,” it says, “we have provided a space 40 feet west where you can stare at your reflection in the window since apparently you’re the only person you care about.”

The point is to underscore a message that seems slowly to be seeping into the public consciousness, that covering your mouth and nose with cloth or other semipermeable material when you’re likely to be near strangers in public settings displays courtesy, not fear.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/eric-zorn/ct-column-masks-facial-coverings-coronavirus-bagel-zorn-20200623-nz3x4m7mirhvpdcrvrfnan4rmu-story.html

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I like the idea of masks when inside where social distancing is not a guarantee.  But if you're outside where social distancing is easy, then no need for masks. 

I wish our politicians would first apply common sense and reason instead of simply making knee-jerk reactions.

G

Years ago I went into a liquor store to buy some Appletons, the Asian guy serving had a mask on and I asked him why because I was curious after years of seeing only Asian people wear them. He said he was feeling unwell with a cold, so dumbarse here asks yeah but why the mask how is that going to help? He said Oh no its not about me its about protecting you!

I was humbled by his genuine social responsibility, the whitey tighteys in our office would come in all the time coughing and spluttering with out a thought about the next man.

I like the idea of masks when inside where social distancing is not a guarantee.  But if you're outside where social distancing is easy, then no need for masks. 

I wish our politicians would first apply common sense and reason instead of simply making knee-jerk reactions.
Unfortunately, most Americans don't want to do whats right for everyone, and only want to do, what they want to do. 

They think its just big government trying to control their lives....

Start by getting Americans to work together like a team, then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a starting point, for solving a few issues down there.

G

Unfortunately, most Americans don't want to do whats right for everyone, and only want to do, what they want to do. 

Start by getting Americans to work together like a team, then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a starting point, for solving a few issues down there.
remember there is no i in Team America 

MR.CLEAN

Not here
If only that were part of their required qualifications for the job rather than solely 'raise lots of money' and 'convince a lot of people to like you every 2/4/6 years'

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Our politicians are only thinking of themselves so why not the people, too? 

Imagine where we'd be If our politicians had deferred to the experts in the medicine and science professions rather than focusing on the polls and their party. 

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
There should be an IQ test and a minimum level to determine if you should be added to the electoral roll  or stand for office.
Yes, the trouble with democracy is that it is the worst form of government except for all others that have been tried.

Given the power to exclude from electoral rolls I would bar a large share of the population. The trouble is that someone else withat power might choose to bar me...

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I long ago concluded that the best form of government would be a democratic dictatorship. The country is lead by a dictator who is kept in check by a democratic parliament. The parliament controls the police and army and ensures that the dictator abides by the constitution. As long as as he does what's best for the country, he stays in the job.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Watching the video in the attached BBC story reminds me why I have so little faith in democracy....these people are allowed to vote.

The good people of Palm Beach County on compulsory masks.

'They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out'

What about God's wonderful viruses?  Masks would just make it harder to allow God's wonderful viruses to infect us.  

But why stop there?

Get rid of sunscreen so God's wonderful sun can burn our skin and give us cancer!

Stop drug manufacturers from killing God's wonderful germs and bacteria!

We should also stop harvesting God's wonderful fruits and vegetables and allow them to live!

But whatever you do, don't stop corporations from polluting the air and waters, tearing up the land, paying their workers as little as possible, because that would hurt God's wonderful profits!

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Why is wearing a mask in public such a burden?   Surely a small price to pay if it  helps slow the virus's spread.  The "you're trampling on my constitutional rights" crowd is being silly.  Why aren't they  complaining about the law requiring we all wear pants in public?

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co

Not Most...  Just the fucking idiots.

Jubblies

Toledo, OH
If you think a mask inhibits your ability to breathe comfortably, wait 'till you see what COVID-19 will do for ya!

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with it, other than it was made to be a very specific political issue. The ONLY reason to not wear one, is because "my tribe says this is bullshit". I hope that none of the anti-maskers, anti-vacc'ers,  and anti anything that isn't totally self serving, don't ever have to experience losing a loved one to there selfishness.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
If you are so tough...next time you have surgery ask the surgeon to skip the mask, gloves and hand washing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffy

Super Anarchist
If you think a mask inhibits your ability to breathe comfortably, wait 'till you see what COVID-19 will do for ya!

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with it, other than it was made to be a very specific political issue. The ONLY reason to not wear one, is because "my tribe says this is bullshit". I hope that none of the anti-maskers, anti-vacc'ers,  and anti anything that isn't totally self serving, don't ever have to experience losing a loved one to there selfishness.
Meanwhile folks working in clinical care have to wear a mask during the entire shift.