GGR 2022

low bum

Tennessee
Tapio and Simon are 5 miles apart - I'm sure they're waving to one another.

Also, no orcas! That has to be the biggest clot of boats to go through that area in a while, maybe the orcas have had enough fun.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
This could be interesting, if it materialises. Routing is for Simon Curwen and is probably slightly optimistic. His predicted position for 22/09/2022 is the dark blue blob. Forecast is ECMF. GFS doesn't show the depression, but nothing new there as it often do well on the small tight systems.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 203040.png

trisail

Anarchist
Good evening,

I've only now listened to young Elliot Smith, Second Wind, sat phone call earlier today.
He says that he has assembled and mounted his spray dodger.

But here is the background story to it:

I had arrived at the race pontoon early on the morning of the start. There, on the pontoon next to his boat, his Dad and his team manager were busy cutting pre - epoxied marine ply into carefully measured out pieces. They had just made him a dodger kit and loaded it onboard with extra epoxy and glass tape for him to assemble at a convenient opportunity!

So Elliot has now assembled the kit. But he goes on to say that he has made the roof a bit shorter, "kind of like a convertible"

What a breath of fresh air he is!

Go Elliot, Go!

trisail

Anarchist
I see on the front page that the Editor doesn't think too much of the Golden Globe Race.
I'll be the first to admit that this event isn't for everybody, but it would be interesting to hear what size crowd turned up to see the start of the last ocean race he sailed in.

The two walls in LSO stretches over a distance of about 2 kilometers. They were packed.
About 10 to 15 000 people visited the Race Village daily over a period of two weeks plus.

FB_IMG_1662321509943.jpg

FB_IMG_1661374270632.jpg

low bum

Tennessee
WAY too early to say somebody won't win because they're slightly back of the pack, 1 week into an 8 month race. One storm could knock out that entire group and the guy in the back take the lead.

trisail

Anarchist
Good evening,
How nice was it to see the guys go through the gate!
All in good shape and sailing fast.
I must say, the one who surprised me was Pat Lawless in 3rd place. I never rated him as a front runner.
He looked so happy when he learnt he was third. Just shows how valuable time on the boat is in the run up to the start.
Now for the long haul to Cape Town via Il Trindade.

Latest posts