GGR 2022

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
, and later the group who were on the interview boat including Don McIntyre arrived, but being the shy introverted type I did not go and meet them.
I thought he was back in Europe. He was two days ago; what made him go back?

In my experience dinner at the RCYC is never conducive to driving, at least legally!

Slark

Interested to see if race management is going to allow Elliot back in the race with a hacked together bow spirit. Seems unlikely, but also probably something that shouldn’t be messed with.

Also interested to see how many competitors get ejected from the race at the Tasmania gate for not making it in time. I get the safety aspect but quite strange to have a rule that will eject like half of the competitors from the race.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Interested to see if race management is going to allow Elliot back in the race with a hacked together bow spirit. Seems unlikely, but also probably something that shouldn’t be messed with.

Also interested to see how many competitors get ejected from the race at the Tasmania gate for not making it in time. I get the safety aspect but quite strange to have a rule that will eject like half of the competitors from the race.
From a timing point of view I'd much rather be approaching Cape Horn in late Summer, early Autumn, than in the spring.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
They are heading for Tasmania Hobart.
Simon Curwen firm in the lead. A very good performance from Kirsten Neuschafer in second position.
I do not think they will beat the record by Jean Luc van den Heede.
Golden globe 27 11 2.jpg

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Correct me if I am wrong but Jean Luc was not required to stop at all these "film drops". Not sure you can really compare.
The film (SD card) drops were in the last race too. At least the Canaries and Hobart drops were there. I don't remember CPT and PDE in the last race.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Simon has slowed quite a bit and K and chasers have closed the gap substantially
It's just the rubber band ... he'll be stretching it again soon as they get their turn in the light stuff. There are no passing lanes on the west to east ocean legs thanks to the boundaries; however the gate at Hobart might be an slight opportunity.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
It's just the rubber band ... he'll be stretching it again soon as they get their turn in the light stuff. There are no passing lanes on the west to east ocean legs thanks to the boundaries; however the gate at Hobart might be an slight opportunity.
Simon nearly has a 4 day lead. That will be hard to get that back on boats this slow. Were this the VG, it would be about 1,400 miles between 1st and 2nd. I'm afraid the only way to recover that is by attrition. I agree that the stops could reduce or extend that lead pretty easily.

Trocola

So what's the deal with the diesel compensation? I guess the only thing that makes sense is giving her the diesel in the next film drop.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
So what's the deal with the diesel compensation? I guess the only thing that makes sense is giving her the diesel in the next film drop.
They are allowed to use 25 l without penalty. Kirsten is now allowed to use 55 l without penalty. I guess she has more than that.

Compensation seems rather generous, but maybe it should be.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Compensation seems rather generous, but maybe it should be.
Yes it does seem a bit generous. After all she was making easting all the time during the rescue and using the motor too. On the other hand she had to deviate a long way north of her, likely, intended route.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
Yes it does seem a bit generous. After all she was making easting all the time during the rescue and using the motor too. On the other hand she had to deviate a long way north of her, likely, intended route.
She was doing 0.X knots before she started the engine and drove to Tapio. So maybe she was just lucky to get elsewhere with the engine and penalty free diesel.

atnan

Alameda, CA
Is there a Crowhurst class? What's up with Arnaud Gaist?
View attachment 557156
From the site:

Retired: 1 December 2022 – rigging issue
Arnaud had been facing severe barnacle and rigging issues for several days that hampered his sailing to weather. Not being able to go upwind because of mast compression made it impossible to reach Cape Town on time to repair and continue to Hobart before the gate closing on 31st January 2023.