GGR 2022

harrygee

Tasmania
Thanks for the video, most of the sailors are not rock stars so It's nice to get an introduction.

Some look a bit under-prepared but the learning curve is going to be pretty steep.

The choice of Les Sables D'Olonne has provided some exposure, Don must be pleased.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
So far so good.

Nothing really disturbing or dominance.

Golden globe race 2022 position 5-9 2.jpg

Golden globe race 2022 position 5-9.jpg

Damien Regou in a somewhat favourite position.
But can change overnight.
That's the nerve wrecking about solo ocean racing.
You can measure the gain when you do not sleep.

harrygee

Tasmania
I'd like to see Kirsten Neuschafer do well if she can keep her head down and ignore any well-intentioned advice.

The boat looks good, if a bit heavy and her sail choice looks right for the purpose.

Shallow draft will not be a big plus out there, unless she's surfing sideways.

Respect for all entries, even those who pull out early when they find it's not what they had in mind; that takes guts too.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
I'd like to see Kirsten Neuschafer do well if she can keep her head down and ignore any well-intentioned advice.

The boat looks good, if a bit heavy and her sail choice looks right for the purpose.

Shallow draft will not be a big plus out there, unless she's surfing sideways.

Respect for all entries, even those who pull out early when they find it's not what they had in mind; that takes guts too.
Yea, she will do well. Tough, experienced, loves it, won't give up.

Shallow draught... less depth means less to trip over when on the face of big waves... will be a plus when needed :)

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Watching the tracker.
Spent some time reading the bios.
I am going to go with Damien Guillou.
See how things develop.
Hi Baja,

Yep follow him as well from the beginning.
He's in better wind.
Currents are complicated in the gulf of Biskaije.
Not sure who is in favour, southern part of the fleet or northern part.
Golden globe 6 - 9 .jpg

Current biskaije.png

low bum

Tennessee
I don't see how Tomy got the bow of his boat rebuilt in that time frame. And is he still in the Indian Navy? He must just get all the leave he wants for the asking. Maybe he's rich and connected. Best of luck to him after that horrible back injury last time. That's frankly one of my phobias, lived out in the flesh.

low bum

Tennessee
Or, better, do it like Elliot Smith (who is 27), and do it 30 years *before* you retire :)

Genuinely nice guy. I was up late and 3 sheets in the wind and reading about the GGR, read his story, and sent him some money on Patreon. We exchanged a few brief emails. Seems like the salt of the earth.

Nh stumpjumper

How many in the race have sailed the Southern Ocean I wonder? It's just a whole other ballgame. Skill and luck have to be with you or you're toast. The Capetown photo gate stop adds unnecessary complication I think.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
I don't see how Tomy got the bow of his boat rebuilt in that time frame. And is he still in the Indian Navy? He must just get all the leave he wants for the asking. Maybe he's rich and connected. Best of luck to him after that horrible back injury last time. That's frankly one of my phobias, lived out in the flesh.
Tomy's team were able to take a mould from another Rustler, it's mentioned in one of the above vids - maybe #129? Still an amazing effort. As to leave, I dunno.

trisail

Anarchist
Hallo,
I was in LSO helping a friend prep for the GGR.
Abhilash Tomy has retired from the Navy. He was a pilot, with the rank of commander. So he is now sailing in his own time.
He has a good sponsorship in Bayanat, a tech company.
Regarding the nose job, it was nothing complicated and quite an easy fix. Dick Koppman who prepped his boat found a yard in Belgium who quickly took a mould off a Rustler in their Marina. They then moulded a new nose, drove it to LSO and bonded it in place. The ss work was done in LSO. Also straight forward stuff. I believe from starting the job to relaunching was about 5 or 6 days.
Regarding Abhilash the sailor, a most pleasant person, softly spoken, humble and inspirational. It's an honour to have met him.
Regards.

trisail

Anarchist
How many in the race have sailed the Southern Ocean I wonder? It's just a whole other ballgame. Skill and luck have to be with you or you're toast. The Capetown photo gate stop adds unnecessary complication I think.
At a quick count, about 6 of them.
Three guys are back from the previous race. The majority of the sailors have serious ocean miles to their names.
Regarding Cape Town, you are correct. The sailors don't like it. Approaching CT and also leaving it, is a gamble. The gate is going to cause havoc if a Cape Doctor blows on the approach.
Regards.

trisail

Anarchist
Genuinely nice guy. I was up late and 3 sheets in the wind and reading about the GGR, read his story, and sent him some money on Patreon. We exchanged a few brief emails. Seems like the salt of the earth.
I got to know Elliot and his supporting team in LSO.
They quickly became affectionately known as The Hippies. What a super nice guy he is. Well mannered, kind.

A breath of fresh air to the race.
He has my admiration. I wish him the best of luck.
Regards.

Latest posts