GGR 2022

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
How many in the race have sailed the Southern Ocean I wonder? It's just a whole other ballgame. Skill and luck have to be with you or you're toast. The Capetown photo gate stop adds unnecessary complication I think.
Only Kirsten I think. As I regularly point out in these forums the race will go nowhere near the Southern Ocean, the ridiculous ice fences see to that. In the Southern Hemisphere they will race through the South Atlantic, Indian Ocean, South Pacific and then back into the South Atlantic.

Yea, all, the photo gates add unnecessary complications, and really for no reason whatsoever - forgotten footage that will never be used. Cape Town probably takes the biscuit though, it can be a twat to sail into an out of when you can't choose your day.

low bum

Tennessee
Only Kirsten I think. As I regularly point out in these forums the race will go nowhere near the Southern Ocean, the ridiculous ice fences see to that. In the Southern Hemisphere they will race through the South Atlantic, Indian Ocean, South Pacific and then back into the South Atlantic.

Yea, all, the photo gates add unnecessary complications, and really for no reason whatsoever - forgotten footage that will never be used. Cape Town probably takes the biscuit though, it can be a twat to sail into an out of when you can't choose your day.
McIntyre's need to have something live to put out, to remind people there's a race, I suppose. People can't have GoPro's on their boats, which is nuts in this age. Being able to drop off several cards of great video for editing and posting would be a tremendous draw. At least that's my impression - that they can only have a film camera a'la 1969.

low bum

Tennessee
Capture.JPG

Looks like a real traffic jam. I don't know why they all can't make steady northwest progress on something like a beam reach in 20 knot winds.

Capture2.JPG

trisail

Anarchist
Thanks for your input!

So, I'm confused, Abhilash is in a Rustler? Not in a Suhaili replica like last time? I haven't seen him or his boat in any of McIntyre's "boat prep" videos, either.
Yep, a blue Rustler.
Plenty of pics of him and the boat on social media.
There is an onboard video interview on the race Facebook too.
The Suhaili replica he had, sank on the Indian Ocean in the previous race.
Regards.

trisail

Anarchist
McIntyre's need to have something live to put out, to remind people there's a race, I suppose. People can't have GoPro's on their boats, which is nuts in this age. Being able to drop off several cards of great video for editing and posting would be a tremendous draw. At least that's my impression - that they can only have a film camera a'la 1969.
Hallo,
Unlike last time, they can now take digital cameras provided the GPS function is disabled.

My friend sailing the race have borrowed mine.

All above board this time.

Regards.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada

I kinda like the film drop idea. So absurd it’s cool :)

514C3618-FCDC-40A0-8227-36640846C43F.jpeg

Nh stumpjumper

What is up with Guillou?
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.58.41 AM.png

Found answer on twitter via GGR.

"Following his damage yesterday, Damien spent the night at the cape trying to repair, without success. The PRB skipper decided this morning to make his way to Les Sables d'Olonne, less than 200 miles from his position."

Last edited:

Nh stumpjumper

google translate of Damien's problem:

"Damien called the race PC tonight at 9:11 p.m. to report a pace regulator problem. While negotiating a 30th front in 3 to 4 m troughs, he noticed a play in his regulator that threatens the attachment of the saffron shovel to the Rustler's transom."

"Damien is not in danger, does not ask for assistance and has put his boat in the cape that behaves well in the formed sea. He is thinking about options to repair that can no longer use his regulator in these conditions without risking uprooting."

Nh stumpjumper

Tweet from Ian #Herbert-Jones (UK) -
Tradewind 35 "Puffin”:puffin a Biscay Beating 25kts On Nose Rain Squals 35+ Nasty Seas. Crew gd Puffin Gd Food Gd Hfradio Gd Weather Shit ;)

Last edited:

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
I'm assuming there is a translation problem because I don't know what a pace regulator is and I've never heard of a saffron shovel, but apparently it attaches to the stern.
Guessing from the word to word translation.
He has problems with his wind vane regulator. There is some play in the system, and if left as is, the play will eventually damage the attachment points of the frame to the transom. This is the frame holding the immersed "blade" of the wind vane regulator (pelle in French, which also means shovel, is better translated by blade in this context).

harrygee

Tasmania
They all seem to be struggling, too much wind or too little, only one boat has done more than 60 miles in 24 hours, Simon Curwen with 61 miles, who is 50 miles ahead of Kirsten.

They're hugging the coast in light offshore wind, 2 or 3 miles off so pretty taxing when relying on wind vane steering.

50 miles is nothing in the long term.

Do any of the Rustlers have the standard rig or have they all taken the top 1.5 metres off for heavy conditions?

That extra bit of mast and sail area up high would be a blessing just now, for those hugging the coast.

Maybe not so much for those beating their brains out.

This is good spectator sport.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
That was the story last time too, but in fact they all had GoPros and the drop offs were as much about dropping the SD cards off as the film. Just one aspect back story of this weird event.

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Guessing from the word to word translation.
He has problems with his wind vane regulator. There is some play in the system, and if left as is, the play will eventually damage the attachment points of the frame to the transom. This is the frame holding the immersed "blade" of the wind vane regulator (pelle in French, which also means shovel, is better translated by blade in this context).
ISTR that several of the boats had problems with this gear last time too. I have never liked it, it just doesn't look mechanically up to the task to me. I know that people like this design because it offers a backup rudder in the even the main one fails but what is the point when they fall off before the main rudder. Better to have a system that steers with the main rudder and plan to rig an emergency rudder with parts that are carried down below. IMO