Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
This just hit my InHole ..if you remember this grifter couple who went chasing Irma, got body slammed with the sunken boat on St Marts and launching a GoFundMe then 2 blokes stay on PR and take on Maria blah blah. I haven't watched as already thrown up once today.

• Downvote
Reactions: LMI

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This just hit my InHole ..if you remember this grifter couple who went chasing Irma, got body slammed with the sunken boat on St Marts and launching a GoFundMe then 2 blokes stay on PR and take on Maria blah blah. I haven't watched as already thrown up once today.

This Kid makes me think he is an understudy for Matthew McConaghy!

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I just wrapped up hosting the writer of "Dinghy Dreams" whom I posted about earlier. www.dinghydreams.com

She is passing through the Chesapeake on her way to Florida from Lake Champlain. A seriously fun couple of days.  I helped her out with material things like dockage, provisions, laundry, repairs and parts. In return, she told me stories and played her ukulele down at my dock in the evening.

She writes her own songs and I find the lyrics to be genuine and clever, and her voice is folksy and just the thing for a fun time at anchor with friends and drinks. I urged her to start recording them and putting them on her blog.  She didn't really ask me for anything and every time I gave her stuff she kept asking "Are you sure this is ok?"

She has some things to learn about sailing, but overall I find her to exercise good judgement and sail conservatively. I think she's going to do well.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Yes, I first met her in Desolation Sound in BC, Canada, she struck me as a special spirit then, we had dinner with her and her then sailing mate and ran into each other cruising.  She has remained true to her calling and is following her dream.  I applaud her for striking out on her own.  I send her wishes for fair seas and a following breeze.  Good on ya Ajax for helping her on her way.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Zen-  That's great that you got to meet her as well.

Man, her boat seems so fragile. I'll be glad when she makes it to Florida and stops for a dedicated repair period.  She treats it like it's fragile though, and doesn't take unnecessary risks, thank goodness.

I know my view is tainted by the fact that I've kept moving up to larger, stronger boats and my fears might be somewhat unfounded.

southerncross

Super Anarchist
Once you watch one of these Google starts flooding.  Another Patreon wooden boat build.

Built with his Great, Great, Great Grandfather's hand tools. 

"We are building a 38’ wooden sailboat designed in 1934 by William Atkin.  Atkin calls this particular boat “Ingrid” but our vessel will be named “Arabella”, once built we intend to take her to the most far flung corners of the world."

IMG_2952.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
Well good for them. If you're using old tools, you may as well ignore 80 years of progress in yacht design too.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Well good for them. If you're using old tools, you may as well ignore 80 years of progress in yacht design too.
the 'woode boatte' standarde has notte chnged muche laste 82 yeares.  Toolles - olde, dezine - olde, woode - oldere.                         :)

• Downvote

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
I have no idea what the life expectancy of a pine boat is...

I assume it will rot pretty quickly.

as for the shape - the bow is pretty brutal

Doris_rawing.JPG

The dories that we have here in North Brittany (design was imported from newfoundland) are mostly built with some form of whitewood. You need to keep up with the tar or the paint to preserve them. Some that were built when I was a kid 30 years ago are still around though.

Nevertheless as noted above, they seem to expose the end grain and they don't seem either to worry too much about orienting the grain in the right direction, they don't seem to steam bend or laminate the wood, that will weaken the boat especially using softwood.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
this is well made - but old blokes with big music looks a bit weird

I have noticed that more of my films are coming from here....

https://sailing-channels.com/

but soon after clicking on the sailing channels link you get hit with a Patreon plea for the people who own the cut and past channel

ah well!

• Downvote

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The Deltones are click baiting like champions. Not sure they will take their gear off when they get to St Helena though. The locals who think King George VI is still on the throne might see that as an invitation to good to refuse.

Dylan get a wriggle on, you only need 67 million views to close the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
37 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Deltones are click baiting like champions. Not sure they will take their gear off when they get to St Helena though. The locals who think King George VI is still on the throne might see that as an invitation to good to refuse.

Dylan get a wriggle on, you only need 67 million views to close the gap.

you might find that you see more of the Deltones if you chip in and become a Patreon.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The sailing UTuber channel market has got so tough Dylan has reverted to going experimental Benjamin Franklin nude biking while channelling Gaius Julius Caesar.

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The sailing UTuber channel market has got so tough Dylan has reverted to going experimental Benjamin Franklin nude biking while channelling Gaius Julius Caesar.

Video has been pulled.... what's with that? I was actually interested in the project/topic (the electric bike conversion, not the nude biking...)