Super Anarchist
Men are such geeks.

Women don't waste time like that.

:D
oh I dunno

my wife has a weving loom

now that really is sweating the small stuff

watched another one of the man slowly fixing a boat

Growing up sailing with us, it appears we've raised the opposite of this young guy in the vid., who's priority seems to be working on the boat.

Our son was given a boat that you could put in a shop and work on - full time - for the next year. He's got no interest in that. I helped he and our daughter rig it last week - they were off sailing two hours after we stepped the mast.

27755047460_ace4ea4251_h.jpg

A few days later, they sailed along with us and rafted up for the night. We all (4)sat in the cockpit of his boat for sometime. I was so impressed with the 8' cockpit in the 1968 Rhodes design(this is an O'day Outlaw 26'er with a tall rig), I started thinking this boat might be worth a 'restoration'. So we all started talking about that.

Our son, listened, drank his beer, listened,...and finally said, "I'm not going to do a thing to this boat, except sail it". Done.

Fair enough. It's all there, everything works, and it sails great. Here's the new boat rafted alongside with a it's sun bimini up. We had a great dinner, the 4 of us, same as any season in the last 25 years.

28078494085_fcf440d8f1_h.jpg

Later on, his sister was coiling dock lines on her brothers boat. We could hear them,..."Hey Thomas, where do you want me to put these dock lines?" He replies with a laugh, "I don't care MJ, I'm not Dad",... Ok, all had a laugh. I learn some things from my kids. I didn't coil my dock lines, just threw them in the locker(liberating...).

Whatever, I'm just happy that they both just love to sail. Here the two are leaving our raft up under sail. Natural sailors, both.

28044512716_f0ac070028_h.jpg

It was blowing 20 on the nose and they got soaked on the way home(but sailed it nicely). My son explained that's how he will clean this boat - sailing to windward. And so that I wouldn't feel bad that he hasn't used the new deck brush I bought him, he had his sister take a picture of him using the 'gift'.

He took the brush head off, and taped the handle to his tiller with the new roll of white tape I gave him. Very funny young man,...ha ha ha...see him grin?

28078476865_9ad2510434_h.jpg

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Growing up sailing with us, it appears we've raised the opposite of this young guy in the vid., who's priority seems to be working on the boat.

Our son was given a boat that you could put in a shop and work on - full time - for the next year. He's got no interest in that. I helped he and our daughter rig it last week - they were off sailing two hours after we stepped the mast.

27755047460_ace4ea4251_h.jpg

A few days later, they sailed along with us and rafted up for the night. We all (4)sat in the cockpit of his boat for sometime. I was so impressed with the 8' cockpit in the 1968 Rhodes design(this is an O'day Outlaw 26'er with a tall rig), I started thinking this boat might be worth a 'restoration'. So we all started talking about that.

Our son, listened, drank his beer, listened,...and finally said, "I'm not going to do a thing to this boat, except sail it". Done.

Fair enough. It's all there, everything works, and it sails great. Here's the new boat rafted alongside with a it's sun bimini up. We had a great dinner, the 4 of us, same as any season in the last 25 years.

... ... ...
O'Day built some pretty good boats; I wonder how an Outlaw found it's way over there!

I also applaud "doing nothing on the boat except sailing it" but the problem with this is that you rapidly hit against stuff that doesn't work. Wisdom entails striking a happy medium. Fix/upgrade stuff that needs it, sail the heck out of the boat and ignore the rest.

FB- Doug

IStream

Super Anarchist
Go take a look at the Captain's Log on their website, it's priceless. If they get out of this with life and limb intact, I'll be amazed.

DDW

Super Anarchist
It seems everyone wants to turn their sailing exploits into a youtube reality show these days. This one popped up recently:

Sailing Zatara

In south Florida, much deeper on the keel and it won't go to windward, leeward, or sideways - it'll be stuck in the sand. Now, why it has a set of 3Di "racing sails" is a better question....

I watched a couple of the videos. Given their complete naivete, the fact that their starter boat is a very complex, very large boat, they seem to be learning pretty fast actually. And so far, not begging for money!

alemon74

It seems everyone wants to turn their sailing exploits into a youtube reality show these days. This one popped up recently:

Sailing Zatara

Their yacht broker was trying to teach them to sail and promptly tore their battened main... he then had no idea how to lower the blown out sail. That was the last you see of their broker.

DDW

Super Anarchist
This guy does learn very fast though. In his "captains log" in only about 2 weeks he has learned that brokers cannot be trusted, a survey tells you only about 1/3 of what you need to know and can be learned just by looking, West Marine is overpriced, and that boats are much more expensive than they appear. He learned to order spares for everything (like 5 belts for the genset). He took someone along with them to Bimini to teach them some sailing and navigation rather than having the CG pull them off half way over. He isn't begging or living on the public dole. Compared to a lot of these sorts of blogs and video logs, I give them a B+. It is a bit short on bare breasts, I will admit.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I agree they are coming up to speed quickly. I like the series so far because it seems pretty real. My wife is digging it as well. We are contemplating shoving off from the dock and not returning for a few years. Seeing others giving it a go with kids is helpful.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian

Sailing Zatara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0AcIiKxzI

A family of 6 sold everything and bought a nearly new monster Beneteau of 50+ feet without knowing how to sail. Hopefully this doesnt end in tears...
OMG did you see the keel on that boat. JFC. How does it sail?
In south Florida, much deeper on the keel and it won't go to windward, leeward, or sideways - it'll be stuck in the sand. Now, why it has a set of 3Di "racing sails" is a better question....

I watched a couple of the videos. Given their complete naivete, the fact that their starter boat is a very complex, very large boat, they seem to be learning pretty fast actually. And so far, not begging for money!
Those 3di sails are so damn light, I could see a super rich newbie thinking they are a good purchase. And if you have the money, why not? They do make handling easier, and they do set better for longer, if you have coin to burn might as well be there rather than an upgraded blue underwater lighting display and bigger subwoofers

alemon74

This guy does learn very fast though. In his "captains log" in only about 2 weeks he has learned that brokers cannot be trusted, a survey tells you only about 1/3 of what you need to know and can be learned just by looking, West Marine is overpriced, and that boats are much more expensive than they appear. He learned to order spares for everything (like 5 belts for the genset). He took someone along with them to Bimini to teach them some sailing and navigation rather than having the CG pull them off half way over. He isn't begging or living on the public dole. Compared to a lot of these sorts of blogs and video logs, I give them a B+. It is a bit short on bare breasts, I will admit.
I do admit that I like their down to earth attitude. They're not afraid to show themselves vomiting over the side or admitting they're making plenty of mistakes. They also seem like the sorts that arent afraid to roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Learning fast, yes. I was also glad to see them take an instructor with them to Bimini. However, those kids clambering all over the deck without life vests on while under sail in stormy conditions gave me pause. In their vids, they say that they kids have all been homeschooled and the Captain can't wait to leave liberal Ft. Lauderdale. I see this going one of two ways, either they recoil from contact with the diversity of the outside world and run back to Texas in their Hummer or they open their eyes and decide to accept that there are legitimate viewpoints and lifestyles outside of their own.

savoir

Super Anarchist
I don't think I have ever seen such a tiny keel on such a big boat.

I watched all their videos, only 4 so far. It's called trainwreck syndrome. They have been aboard about a month and already the children are getting pretty pissed off.

Last edited by a moderator: