Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
This is sooo annoying. Fahrenheit is so elegant, and easier to spell. 
I am of the generation of schizophrenic Canadians who grew up learning both the Metric and English (American) measurement systems. Kilometers and millimeters make a lot of sense, although I do use inches and feet when doing carpentry (I must be a masochist for fractions - dividing by 10 is so much easier). But for temperature, the Celsius degree is too damn big. If the temperature drops 1 °C, I'm starting to feel chilly; 1 °F is barely noticeable. Still, I like that water goes hard a 0 °C ...that's a sensible thing. Its getting pretty fucking cold at 0 °F. And don't get me started on fluid measures, especially when referring to alcoholic beverages, and American quarts to English pints, or proof versus ABV...

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
I am of the generation of schizophrenic Canadians who grew up learning both the Metric and English (American) measurement systems. Kilometers and millimeters make a lot of sense, although I do use inches and feet when doing carpentry (I must be a masochist for fractions - dividing by 10 is so much easier). But for temperature, the Celsius degree is too damn big. If the temperature drops 1 °C, I'm starting to feel chilly; 1 °F is barely noticeable. Still, I like that water goes hard a 0 °C ...that's a sensible thing. Its getting pretty fucking cold at 0 °F. And don't get me started on fluid measures, especially when referring to alcoholic beverages, and American quarts to English pints, or proof versus ABV...
at -40 its all the same

Ishmael

Fuctifino
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Stupidly tiny rudders on big amatuer built behemoth

I am so sick of repeating ads in the middle of the screen. My current revenge is to turn off the video. I encourage others to do the same, and leave a comment.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I am so sick of repeating ads in the middle of the screen. My current revenge is to turn off the video. I encourage others to do the same, and leave a comment.
I don't see any ads and I watched that video last night.

Anyway I wish them luck with it. Hope they find someone who knows what they're doing with those plastic rudder bushings. I've made some of those myself for big shaft sizes. It really pays to follow the material manufacturer's instructions on clearance allowances. Unless the owner likes having things done twice anyway.

WRT Dylan's comment, there's sometimes a very, very big difference between amateur built and amateur designed. If the builder follows the design, and it's a problem, it's not the builder's fault, it's the designer.

Now if the amateur fucks with the design, that's all on them.

I was very careful with mine not to fuck with Tom's lines or rig placement in any way whatsoever. Only the interior.

FKT

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
On 11/8/2021 at 12:37 AM, Diarmuid said:

Wynns update: our perky, positive people are the latest victims of the storefront sailmaking scam disaster business model.

They fell for an obvious scam.

They went with some foreign sail-maker 3 continents away, over the internet who provided a "too good to be true" price and even paid in full for no product whatsoever. Fuck, they even added to their order after the original product ordered wasn't delivered.

I wonder if they ever fell for the Nigerian prince scam as well?

Buy local 101 right here. If you are spending $30k on sails, go to a reputable sail-maker locally, DON'T PAY THEM UNTIL THE SAILS HAVE ARRIVED, ARE ON THE BOAT AND ARE AS ORDERED.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
On 11/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, Diarmuid said:

Wynns update: our perky, positive people are the latest victims of the storefront sailmaking scam disaster business model.

So, the Wynns' video got 250k views.  And then thigs started hapening, per this comment by them on their video, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSNtWbx8oI&lc=Ugx6L0JvWEquZoKwZdF4AaABAg

Good News! The CEO of One Sails (Dede De luca) has reached out to us and said they are looking to help us sort out the problem. He has given us his personal phone number so we can talk, which we really appreciate. Surprisingly, we’ve also received an email from Belinda. We’ll keep you in the loop as things progress. Thank you all for your support!

Note that they had previously contacted One Sails, but got a brush off.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Stupidly tiny rudders on big amatuer built behemoth
I am not an expert in French, high latitude boats but, while Arktika is indeed a behemoth, its neither amateur-built nor amateur-designed. She's not pretty to my eye, but definitely purposeful and well-built:

META ARCTIC VOYAGER 47

DESIGNER: Joubert - Nivelt

BUILT: Meta Chantier Naval (1984)

I'm not sure if the tiny rudders were in the original design, but they're fixed now...

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Pro all round then

Apologies to Pro builder and Pro designer

But still looks like steering gear designed for a planing mobo to this trained ag engineer

D

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Pro all round then

Apologies to Pro builder and Pro designer

But still looks like steering gear designed for a planing mobo to this trained ag engineer

D
Agreed. Looking at the drawings, I would guess that the Meta Arctic Voyager 47 was designed as a rugged motor cruiser with an option for an auxiliary sailing rig. Definitely mobo rudders.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
So, the Wynns' video got 250k views.  And then thigs started hapening,
That's one reason I seeded the video on this forum. Sucks that some businesses are only motivated by damage control, but sometimes those people need a little ahem-there's-water-in-your-bilge wakeup.

"Hole." {points}

"Bucket."  {hands}

"Bail."

BTW, Nikki & Jason used a similar tactic to help a fellow boater who was dying of cancer and couldn't get a particular medication. The pharma company, hearing themselves named and shamed, went out of their way to get him the meds.

I don't see any ads and I watched that video last night.

Anyway I wish them luck with it. Hope they find someone who knows what they're doing with those plastic rudder bushings. I've made some of those myself for big shaft sizes. It really pays to follow the material manufacturer's instructions on clearance allowances. Unless the owner likes having things done twice anyway.

WRT Dylan's comment, there's sometimes a very, very big difference between amateur built and amateur designed. If the builder follows the design, and it's a problem, it's not the builder's fault, it's the designer.

Now if the amateur fucks with the design, that's all on them.

I was very careful with mine not to fuck with Tom's lines or rig placement in any way whatsoever. Only the interior.

FKT
I worked in a shipyard like that one in the Faroes building and caring for trawlers:  they will have machinists who know all about that type of bearing.  And have a stock.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Sucks that some businesses are only motivated by damage control, but sometimes those people need a little ahem-there's-water-in-your-bilge wakeup.
I am glad that the Wynns may now get some resolution, but the whole saga still reflects very badly on One Sails. 

I could have some small residue of respect for them if their structures were so broken that they couldn't do anything to help.  But the fact they start fixing when the pressure gets high enough just shows them to be cynical bullies focused on what they can get away with 

Found a new channel. I'll follow these folk: They're in a Westerly Centaur; they're on my side of the Atlantic; two folk living on a 26' boat. What's not to like?

Oh, for the love of... not even a minute into the second episode, they've already broken out the Great Stuff spray foam. 

Last edited by a moderator:

kass

Racing, not cruising (sorry!)

Illusions (12’ keelboats) in the UK. 
Only thing you need to apologise for is making my homesick! That's my old fleet from Bembridge, Isle of Wight. Super people, with a lot of great sailors to learn from. The season runs from October until April. They race on weekends when there's high water during daylight (roughly every other weekend). If anyone fancies joining them I happen to know two boats for sale, as there's not much of a fleet here in France.

Dylan did a nice film about them on KTL many years ago (just before my time, I think).

Latest posts