Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing... 

Regarding the mustache, I always wanted to wear a beard. That's the best I can do. My girlfriend likes it, I like it and the tips help me to judge the width of my vessel. Nothing more to say about it. 

Thank you! The funny thing about it is, it all started in this very forum. 30.9.2019. You guys directed me in the direction of a used boat. The tread went off track because of this whole licensing thing... 

That's actually not that complicated. In the Netherlands you can register a vessel under 25 meter as a pleasure craft. You need a few extra things on board like radio and AIS and so on and a CVO for the boat carried out every 5 years. We both have the German license to operate a pleasure craft of any size. There you go. 

Another way would be to register at Jersey UK because in UK they go with the Load Line Length and not with the LOA. The britisch licensing system is probably the best if we want to use the boat commercially. Yachtmaster and maybe Master 200GT with commercial endorsement. 

I do agree with you. But we don't have the need to broadcast my life on YouTube. We produce a YouTube show about us restoring a sailing ship. The ship is in focus. We are definitely no family blog like La Vagabond or Uma. We feel much more like presenters or Narrators who tell the story of the ship, similar to an author or a teacher. Of course we live on the ship and we give away some informations about our life. But really I would love a good chat about why we bought the boat and the technical details much more than a discussion about my beard. 
Absolutely - I respect and admire your huge undertaking 100%!  Really, I do.  Much respect and power to you - it’s a huge dream and an even huger project.

My comment on the ‘notion’ of YouTubers in general was, in some ways, directed at me, so to speak.  Amd perhaps it’s partly generational (I’m in my 50s).  I don’t think I have the guts (or interest, at this point, or artistic/creative vision, or talent...) to set up a YouTube channel, nor do I think I have anything of interest or value to broadcast...to the world.  (There’s a lot of nonsense on YouTube; I’d rather not contribute to the noise - IMO, your channel is not part of the noise.)  So, my impression is that those who would want to film themselves for the world to watch, and comment, must be somehow needy...or exhibitionists.  But just because I don’t want to, doesn’t mean I’m right.  I stand corrected!

As to your moustache, alas, one of the perils of social media - attracting impertinent comments.  (I’m sure if I had a channel someone would make humorous comments somewhere about...something...). No harm intended, just a trite comment.

More power to you both - looks like an incredible and crazy project!  Great to “meet” the “name” behind the video here, as there are many well-known and well-respected sailors on this site who are generous enough to share their time and knowledge.   We all benefit.  (Hairdressing advice and commentary should be made elsewhere :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Well, anyway, Sailing Doodles made the front page, so that’s cool.  Finally some serious and cool sailing stuff there.

3EC00FFB-9C11-4CA0-8E4F-05385A36F930.jpeg

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
My comments WRT licensing et al were based on local knowledge of problems, is all. Rules obviously differ.

Here I know of 2 vessels of around that size which became abandoned by their starry-eyed purchasers once the realities of commercial survey & mandatory qualifications/inspections (and licensing fees) became apparent to them.

I did look at one of the boats myself in a casual fashion but abandoned all thought of restoring it when the hassles of dealing with bureauracy became apparent. Life is too short.

FKT

Olsalt

On the water
Rules obviously differ.
Tanks for all the positive answers here! I think I will open up my own tread about the project soon so that we can dive into the details more. 

The problems with the rules on board of ships is that there is always these gray area in between national and international rules. Our worst case plan is to just shorten the vessel. 2 feet up front and 2 feet at the back and we are under the magic 24 meters. No big deal to do it! But on the long run we want to add a bow sprit and similar sailing ships are 105 to 120 feet length over spars. 

Mandatory CVO inspections, commercial rated AIS, safety equipment and so on, are written on a separate piece of paper. We want to dry dock the boat soon so we experience first hand what it cost's to own such a ship. One last word, it is much more common here in the Netherlands to live on such ships so there is infrastructure and it's usually a cheaper option compared to renting or buying a house. Now I have to figure where that water is coming from... 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
under the magic 24 meters.
One thing about marine rules is that "24m" can vary a lot.

It's often not the actual hull length. So be sure to find out which rule you have to conform to. (I think Steve Dashew did one of his powerboats with a bolted on stern platform that didn't count as part of the hull length for this very reason)

i.e. Hull Length for Yachts, Recreational Craft and Personal Watercraft having a length of hull < 24m. Reference ISO 8666, as amended, Section 5.2.2.  "The Hull Length excludes removable parts that can be detached in a non-destructive manner and without affecting the structural integrity of the craft, e.g. spars, bowsprits, pulpits at either end of the craft, stemhead fittings, rudders, outdrives, outboard motors and their mounting brackets and plates, diving platforms, boarding platforms, rubbing strakes, and fenders if they do not act as hydrostatic support when the watercraft is at rest or underway"

Or the International Convention on Tonnage, Loadline Convention both use same definition.

"length" means 96 per cent of the total length on a waterline at 85 per cent of the least moulded depth measured from the top of the keel, or the length from the fore side of the stem to the axis of the rudder stock on that waterline, if that be greater. In ships designed with a rake of keel the waterline on which this length is measured shall be parallel to the designed waterline;

i.e. you can be 25.3 LOA and still have a rule length <24m

Oohh - here is a good loophole in the Malta Rules:  

Cut-outs in the stem or stern which exist solely to circumvent the requirement for vessels of 24m and over to comply with the ICLL, shall be treated as if they do not exist for the purpose of measuring Length Art.2(8). Cut-outs shall only be considered as a genuine reduction in Length Art.2(8), if they serve a purpose such as for example an anchor housing or a specific design feature. 

I could drive a truck through that loophole.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Oohh - here is a good loophole in the Malta Rules:  

Cut-outs in the stem or stern which exist solely to circumvent the requirement for vessels of 24m and over to comply with the ICLL, shall be treated as if they do not exist for the purpose of measuring Length Art.2(8). Cut-outs shall only be considered as a genuine reduction in Length Art.2(8), if they serve a purpose such as for example an anchor housing or a specific design feature. 

I could drive a truck through that loophole.
Oh, I have to ask.  What is a cut out?  Pic?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
So say you make a slot in the stem right on centerline for an anchor....

image.png  

Or have a bolted on stern scoop "swim platform". maybe even the rudder cutout has a cover....

image.png

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I spoke to a lifelong sailor friend who just turned 80 on Saturday. He switched to power 4 yrs ago because he couldn’t handle the sailboat anymore. He needs a surgery but is putting it off til after the season. He always did his own boat work. I asked how he’s handling it this spring and he said “Paid the yard. Bought electric davits. Electric everything, safety stuff, spent a lot of money, but I’ve got 2 more years of this. Maybe 1. So, fuck it, you can’t take it with you.”
My geriatric parents have become cruise ship whores, I really feel bad for their postie.  No less than 20lbs of cruising brochures get delivered to their home every week.

Offered my dad, in his late 70's, a free boat ride on a modern sled.  Nothing extravagant, just a day cruise putting it in winter storage.  He passed on the transient trip, he likes his all inclusive 5 Star cruises better these days.  Yeah, thought a lil' less about dad then.  I'll still let Dad tell lies about racing in the '70's, and how my parents fell in love on their first trip with a club's dinghy.  And then turtled it.

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Midcoast Maine
My geriatric parents have become cruise ship whores
Mine too. We went on a number of those cruises with them. It has nothing to do with the ocean, you might as well be at an all exclusive land resort. For old Florida people it’s fine. Dad liked to do karaoke and sit at the captain’s table wearing his “US Navy Retired” hat. Stepmom would gamble. My kids would stay up all night with other teenagers trying to scarf drinks. Wife went to the spa. I used the gym, counted the days, and dreamed about swimming for shore. But it was not bad family time, breakfast and dinner every day with the whole family and I miss that now. 

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
My geriatric parents have become cruise ship whores, I really feel bad for their postie.  No less than 20lbs of cruising brochures get delivered to their home every week.

Offered my dad, in his late 70's, a free boat ride on a modern sled.  Nothing extravagant, just a day cruise putting it in winter storage.  He passed on the transient trip, he likes his all inclusive 5 Star cruises better these days.  Yeah, thought a lil' less about dad then.  I'll still let Dad tell lies about racing in the '70's, and how my parents fell in love on their first trip with a club's dinghy.  And then turtled it.
Tried to offer my 86 year old dad a sail last weekend when he visited.  Not interested.  A bit crushed.  He’s the one who taught me to sail —on a river outside of Washington, DC —and I’ve take it rather farther, hoping/planning to do a circumnavigation.  Oh well.  Thankfully no cruise ships infest their lives :)

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
My parents were also into the crooze sheep thing when… well I suppose when they were my present age.  As far as I can make out, Dad was into the unlimited consumption aspect and Mom loved to change clothes six times a day.  OK, so basically it’s a big Skinner Box, but I still don’t understand why it has to float around in the Caribbean.  It could just be a big cheap box out in the desert some place and nobody would know the difference.

Oh, wait…