Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I have a couple of YT channels that I like but I really don't have a desire to meet anyone. Maybe Kevin Boothby...maybe.
"Never meet your heroes."
Kevin would have some very interesting stories, having circumnavigated engineless, etc. Skilled sailor who’d have interesting stuff to share. But someone here way up thread posted a link to some interview he did in a, what are they called, incels?, podcast/online talk show, incels or some kind of pro-male-anti-women/male independence themed sort of talk show, something like that anyway, and I was, like, “ok...that’s kinda weird...not my thing at all...”

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
IIRC, the interviewer was MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way) advocate and he was pumping Boothby to see if he was as well, and Kevin basically refused to comment either way.

I have no comment on the MGTOW lifestyle one way or the other.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
We met up with RAN Sailing on Oahu when they were in town (before baby, and before new boat). Went to lunch with them. It was a fun afternoon. They are really really nice people. I have mad respect for Johan. He is the real deal. I'll never forget the sailing adventure he did with his brother when they left Sweden and sailed down to Antarctica on a 26' sailboat. I would be comfortable sailing anywhere with him.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
IIRC, the interviewer was MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way) advocate and he was pumping Boothby to see if he was as well, and Kevin basically refused to comment either way.

I have no comment on the MGTOW lifestyle one way or the other.
That’s it. No comment. :). Nice way to chose a side, man. :)

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Amen, brother. My wife is a shutterbug. She'll record it all for memories when we're in our dotage. I intend to live in the moment.

I am sad (and somewhat relieved) to report that our last pet, a 21 year old cat has finally passed. It really ripped my guts out but it was time and we are both finally free.
I know this exact feeling. We are down to our last cat as well. He is approaching 20 with dignity. But once he is gone, we are done with pets and will be free to do more traveling and sailing adventures without having to arrange pet sitting all the time. I love animals, but they are basically children, often better behaved though. lol.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
Sorry. I’m totally being sarcastic. Silly, mostly. Let’s not diverge into gender politics here (mostly because I know nothing about it). Kevin Boothby is a very skilled engineless sailor - end of story. (But if MGTOW is men 24/7, I’m definitely not in
:) )

Last edited:

Munz

He did that episode in praise of Jordan Peterson which left me a bit cold (and is maybe what brought him to the attention of the MGTOW crowd), but in person he's fine, rowed over to my boat with cold beer when we shared an anchorage, so I really can't complain.... :)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
He did that episode in praise of Jordan Peterson which left me a bit cold (and is maybe what brought him to the attention of the MGTOW crowd), but in person he's fine, rowed over to my boat with cold beer when we shared an anchorage, so I really can't complain.... :)
Yeah, at first I thought MGTOW in that episode, since it was on an accomplished sailor’s channel, was some sort of men’s solo circumnavigator celestial navigation self help/resource group (I.e., “men going their own way”), but I was very mistaken :)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
A gender politics discussion wouldn't be of much value in here, at least since TL left. Or am I missing somebody?

Sailing forums are the only men's clubs I've ever joined. :)
Likewise. For this men’s club, I think we should co-opt that crazy slogan of the QAnon crazies - WWG1WGA and add on CAMGTOW (CA being Cruising Anarchy), just to make it a long anarchic mouthful (no one but insiders will know what the acronym means when pronounced, “woowoogonewoogakamgatow!” as the secret greeting.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Amen, brother. My wife is a shutterbug. She'll record it all for memories when we're in our dotage. I intend to live in the moment.

I am sad (and somewhat relieved) to report that our last pet, a 21 year old cat has finally passed. It really ripped my guts out but it was time and we are both finally free.

Same. The year I lived & worked in Tucson, I went everywhere you could drive & hike. I didn't take a single photo. 20+ years on I don't regret that one bit.

As for pets, yeah, I have none but my GF has a cat. I like cats but I don't want one aboard my boat and arranging feeding etc for it when we go sailing is a PITA, preventing longer trips. AS I'm still tweaking the boat and am happy to come back to base after a week or so, it hasn't been an issue so far. But I think it will become one.

FKT

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Likewise. For this men’s club, I think we should co-opt that crazy slogan of the QAnon crazies - WWG1WGA and add on CAMGTOW (CA being Cruising Anarchy), just to make it a long anarchic mouthful (no one but insiders will know what the acronym means when pronounced, “woowoogonewoogakamgatow!” as the secret greeting.

That's a thought, go full-on men's club ala 50's-60's; the 'temple' or whatever over the filling station that meets once a month.

This is a discussion you don't hear, on sailing forums: 'As largely an older male-gender social media group, are sailing forums sustainable?'

In fact is that very question a typical 'closing the barn door after the horse is out', question?

I like it here, it's a free-minded group. But I checked my FB Maine Sailing and Cruising group, which is a small(I think) 3K+ membership, and it appears that more posts are by females than males, perhaps 2 out of 3.

More disconcerting, as I watch the next generation (both genders and nonbinary) of sailors around me fully engaged in sailing - in the real world, none of them are posting in either venue, in this cyber world.

You being one of the younger members, I'm more worried for you, Jud.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
as I watch the next generation (both genders and nonbinary) of sailors around me fully engaged in sailing - in the real world, none of them are posting in either venue, in this cyber world.
I’m pretty sure that the younger set have “venues” of which seniors are clueless. Which is sort of a feature, not a bug. Just that it’s “cyber” now.