Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Curtis Loew

Honestly I had hoped that Free Range Sailing would have moved onto building a big Wharram cat or something, seems in keeping with their vibe

Maybe they still will, they have enough space
I like that couple and their channel, but their Quest for doing everything in a perfect, professional way is somewhat maddening. It would be good to see them build and sail a Wharram, but I can’t see Troy being satisfied with simplicity….

Curtis Loew

I have been following her socials for a while now. Apparently she lived on Ontong Java II with Hans Klaar for two years then buddy boated across the Atlantic. She's just done a major refit in Florida over the last couple of years and finally back on the water.

Very much a hippy type and the other crew members are also quite interesting but certainly seems the real deal.
I agree, very much a real sailer. She doesn’t need fancy shiny shit, everything she needs she knows she has. I think her comment at the end of her solo about, ‘if you want to do something, just go F…ING do it’ is perfect. An inspiring young lady, the world could do with more like her.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Elk is not ODD. It is delicious.
So is moose.
Alligator does taste like chicken.
Iguana has small bones that you have to avoid and also is like a dark chicken. Had a taste from a Tobago women who had it for breakfast with fried eggs.
Kangaroo is OK but fairly lean so don't overcook it.
I've eaten ostrich but can't recall it
Rabbit is tasty in stews

Rabbit is OK but often quite dry. Stews work. My GF keeps wanting me to shoot the little bastards that eat her garden and she has a point - they ringbarked & killed a productive apple tree this winter. But I'm over shooting things so - no. Might have to patch the hole in the wire netting though, if I want to get fed.

Kangaroo & wallaby is good. We use a fair bit of wallaby supplied by her relatives on big farm properties - once again I won't shoot mine, I *feed* the little bastards the soft apples. Minced with some bacon it's really good in pasta sauces and the like.

Got emus running loose on my NSW country place but even when I was a pretty keen hunter I never shot one. I like watching them.

FKT

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Rabbit is OK but often quite dry. Stews work. My GF keeps wanting me to shoot the little bastards that eat her garden and she has a point - they ringbarked & killed a productive apple tree this winter. But I'm over shooting things so - no. Might have to patch the hole in the wire netting though, if I want to get fed.

Kangaroo & wallaby is good. We use a fair bit of wallaby supplied by her relatives on big farm properties - once again I won't shoot mine, I *feed* the little bastards the soft apples. Minced with some bacon it's really good in pasta sauces and the like.

Got emus running loose on my NSW country place but even when I was a pretty keen hunter I never shot one. I like watching them.

FKT
You gotta try Emu if you get the chance. You will be surprised.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Had a little taste of jackrabbit once. As I recall it was very dry and stringy but that could have been the cooking conditions. I was five days into SERE school and starving so it didn’t linger long on the palate.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I grew up hunting, then gave it up as an adult. Rabbit like deer are tougher if they have been running before you bag them. Well-prepared rabbit is tender and mild…but easy to overcook.

Last edited:

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
Curious stuff going on with Erik Aanderaa and NBJS. I have been following him on Instagram for the last several months, and more on that in a second, but his account seems to have got deleted and replaced with a new one. As of August 30 he was back in Norway, having been to Shetland, Faroe and around Iceland, so missed the target of getting to Greenland. But in his now deleted Instagram account he detailed a host of serious health issues that put him in hospital, I believe in the Faroe Islands back in July. I will not repeat the details but they were of the "I never knew that could get that bad' variety, and seemingly stress related possibly due to complicated non-sailing related things in his life . I believe he also had some further musculoskeletal issues later, which would obviously be really scary if you were out at sea along and suddenly couldn't get out of bed. Anyway, apparently he's back in Haugesund and looking to put together a film out of the trip he did do. I like Erik and respect his filming style but find the NBJS thing a bit amusing. The problem with bullshit is it has a way of intruding on your life when you're trying to do other things like sailing. And other people who might be supposed to have more bullshit, like LaVag for example, manage to do an awful lot of sailing anyway, so perhaps it's best to just go with the flow and let the bullshit do its thing when it needs to.
I believe Eric has struggled with ulcerative colitis, not a good thing to be stricken with alone mid ocean. He got stuck in hospital and missed the Greenland window in July, but still went around Iceland and back after being sick. Tough dude, I am looking forward to a winter full of videos.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
You gotta try Emu if you get the chance. You will be surprised.
Same for cicadas.

“When you’re ready to actually cook your cicadas, Amidor suggests you liken them to a far more popular food group — seafood. ‘Cicadas have a nutty flavor and shrimp-like quality. They can be cooked like you would cook seafood,’ she says.”

5D8355CE-16B9-4C12-A647-65BFE5DF755B.jpeg

low bum

Tennessee
Curious stuff going on with Erik Aanderaa and NBJS.
Well, I wish him the best. As for simple, exciting, gorgeous sailing videos, I think he has very few equals. And from a part of the world that doesn't get as much coverage due to the low bikini ratio. Ulcerative cholitis is certainly made worse by stress and I bet paying for a house with a deep water dock and keeping a cruising yacht in North Sea trim takes everything he makes, even with sponsorships.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I tried crickets once, in Thailand, on the barbie. It tasted like shrimps... on the barbie.
I once shared an office with a guy who studied the gut microbes of crickets. At journal club, he would occasionally serve "chocolate-chirp cookies."

(Kind of half-way between the ones with walnuts or raisins.)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I know it's damn useful and practical to have an arch like that, but, I fucking hate it. Sigh.

Honestly, it should be a few feet taller, just to make it so ridiculous that it’s cool :). And wind turbines port and starboard. And, naturally, a big ol’ Starlink antenna or two in between :) (powerboat envy)

Anyway, back to the pregnancy time lapse video...on second thought...

06FA6E3C-D5EE-4300-AB1B-B934665BC324.jpeg

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Old time’s sake. And it’s a great pic of Super Arch.

And click here for the latest (ish) offering, a pregnancy time lapse video. No, seriously. Feel free to donate. No, seriously. You’ll get a lot of awesome, inspiring “content”. YCMTSU :)

OMG...you have done it. You have re-introduced the most annoying couple ever to have a sailing vlog. IIRC they owned the boat for a year, then quit because...because...well, because it's them. God she is annoying. Now they are "homesteading in Hawaii"

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
OMG...you have done it. You have re-introduced the most annoying couple ever to have a sailing vlog. IIRC they owned the boat for a year, then quit because...because...well, because it's them. God she is annoying. Now they are "homesteading in Hawaii"

I was only trying to promote constructive dialogue about the Super Arch.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Waitaminute...they've already dropped Hawaii-homesteading and have once again changed life plans...

Well... we did it again... changed our minds about our future plans and ended up packing up everything and moving across the world. This time though feels quite different than the big move off the boat. Now we're moving back with so much purpose and while there is still a lot of unknown, we are so grateful that we were able to make this decision with enough time to get settled before our baby's arrival (still pregnant as I write this for those of you who come hang in the description box :) - 37 weeks preggo aka full term!!) I really can't explain how lucky Freja and I are to have had Lou to go through this big transition with. He got our whole place packed up/sold tons and got me on my flight and Freja on hers.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Waitaminute...they've already dropped Hawaii-homesteading and have once again changed life plans...

Well... we did it again... changed our minds about our future plans and ended up packing up everything and moving across the world. This time though feels quite different than the big move off the boat. Now we're moving back with so much purpose and while there is still a lot of unknown, we are so grateful that we were able to make this decision with enough time to get settled before our baby's arrival (still pregnant as I write this for those of you who come hang in the description box :) - 37 weeks preggo aka full term!!) I really can't explain how lucky Freja and I are to have had Lou to go through this big transition with. He got our whole place packed up/sold tons and got me on my flight and Freja on hers.
I knew I was on to something big and exciting re-posting that Super Arch pic. Its gonna supersize even that, and take this thread by storm. Maybe.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA

1662579166107.png

Latest posts