Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
They are "cheap" people.
Cheap and she's maybe the most capricious person on YT. Just watch the crux of their sailing life, beginning in this video at 38:00. "I just love sailing so much I don't want to go to sleep." Then by 46:00 (crying) "we were in sustained winds of like 28." They left the boat in Bermuda and never returned.

Next video, boat is for sale, and she writes It was a decision that involved a ton of factors from covid not ending to global weather patterns.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Elk is not ODD. It is delicious.
So is moose.
Alligator does taste like chicken.
Iguana has small bones that you have to avoid and also is like a dark chicken. Had a taste from a Tobago women who had it for breakfast with fried eggs.
Kangaroo is OK but fairly lean so don't overcook it.
I've eaten ostrich but can't recall it
Rabbit is tasty in stews
1662583152364.png

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
Minneapolis area
Rabbit is absolutely delicious.

At several points in my life I have grown fruit and vegetables. In some cases I have had something of a rabbit problem. On one of these occasions, I dispatched one with a .22 pistol at 25 yards with a single shot, a confluence of luck and skill. I have never been one to waste food so it went in the freezer. Several others went into the freezer under less remarkable circumstances.

I fixed several of them with spices and white sauce with Vermouth. My then 18 month old daughter, in a high chair, ate a whole rabbit, carefully picking through the bones and eating all the meat and sauce, leading me to conclude that we are perhaps not so highly evolved as we think. Somewhere I have pictures.

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
When I say Elk is ODD, it is ODD for the average suburban meat landscape who mostly eats pork, chicken, and beef. I loved it too. It was really tasty.

And as far as Ostrich, no joke, it was red meat, and tasted like prime rib. If I had my choice, I would eat Ostrich over Cow every day of the week. It was so damn good. Fairly lean and healthy too. Oh, I also had Emu, which is the same kind of meat as Ostrich.

View attachment 539492
View attachment 539493
Emu is great, as is kangaroo. Crocodile, not so much.
As Oscar Wilde said about fox hunting - the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable...

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
That may be an issue too, but, for me, its fucking ugly. I cant even stand davits on a boat. I love clean lines. I tolerate a bimini on my boat but I just cant go a step further.
Aside from clean lines, I always worry about what happens to the boat's sailing characteristics in bad weather. What happens if something breaks loose? Will I be able to recover or restrain it? Will I lose my life trying to save it?

I know that people successfully make passage with all kinds of shit hanging off of their boats but I just can't do it. I stow my shit until the boat looks like it's only sailing locally.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Aside from clean lines, I always worry about what happens to the boat's sailing characteristics in bad weather. What happens if something breaks loose? Will I be able to recover or restrain it? Will I lose my life trying to save it?

I know that people successfully make passage with all kinds of shit hanging off of their boats but I just can't do it. I stow my shit until the boat looks like it's only sailing locally.
I’m struggling with that now, thinking through solar panels.

And then I think of Jeanne Socrates, who made several epic solo nonstop RTW attempts (before finally succeeding a few years ago) - just look at her boat! That arch! I thought she had no solar panels on board - that they were onboard in earlier pics, but removed for the Southern Ocean voyages...but apparently not.

D2B14DF2-038C-43AC-B63B-C3002FE733B7.jpeg

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
That's still fairly tidy compared to some boats I've seen. There's no dinghy hanging off the back.
The liferaft is securely stowed on the cabintop.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
That's still fairly tidy compared to some boats I've seen. There's no dinghy hanging off the back.
The liferaft is securely stowed on the cabintop.
Well, for the kinda of serious sailing she was doing, things have to be very secure, that’s for sure. Arch for key equipment, but no other stupid shit on it.

I’ve got a compromise solution for now - radar on pole at stern, the easiest installation for me at the time. Really, really glad to have radar this summer, navigating in thick fog for days at a time - would like the radome up on the mast instead —I think— but that introduces new challenges: routing the cable down and out of the mast and having a new through-deck fitting for that, getting it aft to the nav table where display is, etc. The compromise solution is it at the stern - which in my mind is now maybe becoming one side of a quasi-arch to mount panels...argh!! :)

I see that James on S/V Triteia, an old (but completely refit) Alberg 30, has installed two 200w panels on his stern lifelines/pulpit area, port and starboard (enabling him to have an all electric galley). Those are monster panels, 60” x 30” (and 26 lbs. each) - hard to say if that’s a better solution (ok, maybe smaller panels there instead of those monsters). I like the idea of lots of solar, and an electric galley seems quite practical (in terms of not needing propane/fuel), but I’m not sure I’d hang panels that big on my lifeline (lifeline area, I.e., at deck level).

Last edited:

low bum

Tennessee
I have 2 100 watt panels on the stern but they're massively supported. You could easily stand on them. I see some really petite, delicate, janky looking solar setups. Zip ties, self tapping screws, etc. Of course, making things easy to "break away" if you're swept is one way to approach the problem I guess, but there where are you? As they say in the cavalry, "a man without a horse is afoot."

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
The induction cooktop is very cool. Another way to eliminate carrying multiple fuels, propane sniffers, leaks etc. but you do need serious solar and serious batteries to drive it. The guy has a lithium bank.

It looks like he kept the alcohol or propane oven though. If I were to go this route, I'd want a 3 or 4 burner cooktop vs. 2 burners.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
The induction cooktop is very cool. Another way to eliminate carrying multiple fuels, propane sniffers, leaks etc. but you do need serious solar and serious batteries to drive it. The guy has a lithium bank.

It looks like he kept the alcohol or propane oven though. If I were to go this route, I'd want a 3 or 4 burner cooktop vs. 2 burners.
Yeah - no surprise, most of his stuff was given to him by the manufacturers. (I think the lithium batts alone are $3000.)

Agree - I’d want an oven too. We use ours a lot.

Latest posts