Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
That's still fairly tidy compared to some boats I've seen. There's no dinghy hanging off the back.
The liferaft is securely stowed on the cabintop.

My boat, when it was first splashed, didn't have a stern arch nor did it have dinghy davits.

Now it has both.

Need drives function over form/elegance.

And as the weather down here is often shit, don't tell me about 30+ knot winds. Been there a lot of times, not much fetch in the Channel but winds? We have winds.

And I made my arch as low as I could, the top is only 1.55m off the deck. Not one of those towering tuna towers.

There's the added hard dodger, too. Same reason.

For blue water work I'd have the dinghy on the cabin top, sure, but dinghy davits are highly practical. We can launch the dink in a minute or so and recovery is about the same. Also the space between the davits is useful for adding a solar panel, as well as the space on top of the arch, which was originally for the mainsail bundle until I made a new, shorter main.

So yeah, a hull looks sleeker for sure without these things. I can remove both the davits and the arch, I designed them to bolt on and off. But I can't see the time when I will.

FKT

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Think windage is my message. Giant waves sweeping the deck sure might be a thing in the Southern Ocean but on typical cruising routes in the lower latitudes not so much

Arch with a few solar panels = probably give up 1-2 degrees of pointing. Add a dinghy and a motor on the stern rail and it increases
Lining up jerry jugs on the railing - about 1-2
Paddleboards or kayaks on your lifelines - 3 degrees
Using mesh nettings on your lifelines or fixed mast steps all the way - maybe 4 or 5 degrees. Both are a ton of windage and mast steps are a lot of weight up high, thus you can't carry as much sail.

These are just WAG so don't take them too seriously. The mesh on the lifelines is hundreds of little drag devices and is probably the worst offender.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I totally get the function over form. I respect their use. I didn't mean to put anyone down who has the arches on their stern. They seem very handy. I always look for alternative ways to resolve the same issues; not always successfully.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Think windage is my message. Giant waves sweeping the deck sure might be a thing in the Southern Ocean but on typical cruising routes in the lower latitudes not so much

Arch with a few solar panels = probably give up 1-2 degrees of pointing. Add a dinghy and a motor on the stern rail and it increases
Using mesh nettings on your lifelines or fixed mast steps all the way - maybe 4 or 5 degrees. Both are a ton of windage and mast steps are a lot of weight up high, thus you can't carry as much sail.

These are just WAG so don't take them too seriously. The mesh on the lifelines is hundreds of little drag devices and is probably the worst offender.

Meh. That's what the diesel engine is for.

FKT

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
Agree - I’d want an oven too. We use ours a lot.
Actually the switch from a gas oven to an electric convection oven was more important to us than going with induction for the hobs. Perfect temperature control, even heat distribution. There might be good gas ovens somewhere but I have never seen one that can compete with electric.

Paul

Dogscout

On walkabout
This is what I see when I see a stern arch with solar panels and dinghy and other shit
i125825.jpg

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Wonder what they have for self-steering on that big wooden tub (for longer overnights, I.e., passages)? They’ve got a dinghy in davits astern - surprised they didn’t fit windvane self-steering.

View attachment 540073

I don't think they have anything yet but I don't follow them all that closely. I've always thought that boat design was the ugliest one George ever drew.

Anyway you can have a dinghy in davits or a wind vane steering gear. They chose the davits. I guess they can unbolt it all if they decide a wind vane is necessary, which has always been my plan.

FKT

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois

So that's why my tacking angle is 100 degrees! I have all but the dinghy on the stern rail, but two outboards, and without the mesh netting on lifelines. I might ditch the kayak on the lifelines, I've only used it a few times. But I cannot live without the mast steps, with my rigging issues I've been up the mast over a dozen times just in the past month (very light so weight is not the issue), and being singlehanded they make it trivial to climb the mast.

Latest posts