Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

AnIdiot

Second Drawer
Well, I wish him the best. As for simple, exciting, gorgeous sailing videos, I think he has very few equals. And from a part of the world that doesn't get as much coverage due to the low bikini ratio. Ulcerative cholitis is certainly made worse by stress and I bet paying for a house with a deep water dock and keeping a cruising yacht in North Sea trim takes everything he makes, even with sponsorships.
Erik has posted a trailer for videos from his summer odyssey:

IStream

Super Anarchist
I got over to see Tally Ho on Saturday during the PT Wooden Boat Festival and it was a mob scene. The crowd formed well before the 10am start and was still just as big at the scheduled 1pm close. Understandably, you could only stand on deck a peek down into the hull but based on what I saw of the hull up close and the interior from 10' away, the level of craftmanship is as high in real life as it appears on video.

OPAL

I’m struggling with that now, thinking through solar panels.

And then I think of Jeanne Socrates, who made several epic solo nonstop RTW attempts (before finally succeeding a few years ago) - just look at her boat! That arch! I thought she had no solar panels on board - that they were onboard in earlier pics, but removed for the Southern Ocean voyages...but apparently not.

View attachment 539875
Things where a bit battered around the arch area when Jeanne came in the last time round.

Jeanne Socrates.JPG

thedooger

Beautiful boat. I trust you know about the NBJS youtube channel - Erik Aanderaa's got a Contessa 35 and does great work with it.
I do - I have connected with him a few times and he willingly shares good info on the boat. His is a wheel setup which was interesting as most ive seen are tiller driven

vibroman

Super Anarchist
Dyneema goes slack at low temps
Really?? is it dyneema elongating or Aluminum shrinking?
Can't be arsed to figure out if their mast is aluminum or how tall but I just spitballed some numbers and a 60' al mast will shrink approx 0.4" going from 80 F to 30 F. If dyneema does not shrink that much (like most carbon) that may be their problem. Expansion rates for SS is around 3/4 that of aluminum so difference not as apparent with steel.

jvodan

Sydney
Dyneema lengthens in the cold, thru some chemical magic. According to video
Really?? is it dyneema elongating or Aluminum shrinking?
Can't be arsed to figure out if their mast is aluminum or how tall but I just spitballed some numbers and a 60' al mast will shrink approx 0.4" going from 80 F to 30 F. If dyneema does not shrink that much (like most carbon) that may be their problem. Expansion rates for SS is around 3/4 that of aluminum so difference not as apparent with steel.

According to http://dynamicarope.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Physical-Properties-of-Dyneema-Fibre.pdf
-.0121 mm per K (C')

Aluminium (6063) is +0.0234mm per K (C') (differs for different alloys but not substaintially)

So it's a double hit in the cold the mast gets shorter and the rigging gets longer. In hot weather the opposite happens, the mast gets longer and the rigging contracts.

At a wild guess I would save Van der Waals forces diminish with temperature, resulting in the polymer strands being less bound to each other

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
The most profound point that I remember our thermodynamics professor making- If the solid state of water was, as most other things, more dense than its liquid form, then none of us would be here. Because if ice sank, the oceans would have frozen solid and stayed frozen.

Voiled

Threads like these should get more popular now:

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Experience. UHMWPE has an inverse coefficient of expansion
Yeah -- the guy is a pro rigger. Many rubber/kevlar V belts also shorten as they heat up. Strange, but true. And usually counteracted by tensile forces.

ETA: For a basic demonstration of the weird properties of some polymers, just think about heat shrink tubing. Apply heat, it reduces size by 80%.

I've watched quite a few of that couple's videos, such as their discussion of feathering/furling propellers. There's usually good information in them, tho the production quality is casual and they don't glam up the lifestyle. It rains in the tropics -- check. A line can chafe without it being "OMG!! We almost DIED!"

Last edited:

low bum

Tennessee
I know he's supposedly a rigger, what do I know. He's also a dentist. But his rig looks like absolute shit. I've followed his rigging videos for a while now and I'm just shocked at the garbage he sails. Open thimbles nearly falling out of spliced eyes, thimbles point-loaded on turnbuckle pins, etc. etc.

Yes, dyneema gets slack in cold. But his turnbuckles are already screwed in as short as they'll go. He should take them loose about half way, then re-tension, so that he can adjust in/out for temperature changes. As it is he lost a sailing day because of what you see there. He uses dead eyes (in thimbles, natch) so they can be tightened relatively easily. Lots of places are cold at night but hot in the daytime.

This video chilled me on dyneema for my rerig. I'm going with stainless.