Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
From the screenshot that looks like a "boo-boo" on the rudder. The kind your mom would put a bandaid on it and say "run along now"

OK skimmed it a bit more. Obviously a bit more of a whack to bend the aluminum quadrant and crack the rudder tube brackets.

A bit more serious than it initially appeared.

But still, somebody needs to tell more boatbuilders about transom-hung, kickup rudders. Esp for multihulls, where there isn't a deep keel to take the blows.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
A bit more serious than it initially appeared.

But still, somebody needs to tell more boatbuilders about transom-hung, kickup rudders. Esp for multihulls, where there isn't a deep keel to take the blows.
She's back! We were wondering where you'd gotten off to. I think FKT was worried about you :p

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Why do people still put all their faith in charts??
It’s like, “why do people choose to live in hurricane zones and expect others to save them?”...because they do :)

305F8135-BE6C-472A-B62E-FC426D3CAE72.png

kinardly

Super Anarchist
It’s like, “why do people choose to live in hurricane zones and expect others to save them?”...because they do :)

View attachment 543898
And wait till we get the bill come insurance renewal time. My wife, who was an insurance executive back in the day, claims underwriters differentiate the risks in various markets but I remember when our premium doubled in 2019, the reason cited by our broker was the recent heavy losses on the East Coast including Hurricane Michael, Just wait.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
And wait till we get the bill come insurance renewal time. My wife, who was an insurance executive back in the day, claims underwriters differentiate the risks in various markets but I remember when our premium doubled in 2019, the reason cited by our broker was the recent heavy losses on the East Coast including Hurricane Michael, Just wait.
I just read a story, by chance, that suggested a 40% increase in premiums there next year. Apparently, most of that big insurers have already been pulling out of the Florida market, leaving smaller companies, many of which are apparently not very solvent. Seems very precarious, based on what I read. (No idea what DeSatan’s role is in all this...)

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
I just read a story, by chance, that suggested a 40% increase in premiums there next year. Apparently, most of that big insurers have already been pulling out of the Florida market, leaving smaller companies, many of which are apparently not very solvent. Seems very precarious, based on what I read. (No idea what DeSatan’s role is in all this...)
My family all moved to Florida SomI have to go there a few times a year.

I have helped my parents with FL homeowners insurance. There are many sketchy brokers and underwriters you have never heard of. Coverage for hurricanes and floods is very limited and expensive. Even well away from the water wind and flood damage can be extensive. My mother in law’s old house which we sold last year is currently in 3’ of water, well away from the shore. In that neighborhood there are many others, nearly all old people on fixed income. They are mostly screwed, there is no good way to start over.

I know people here in Maine that are still buying places there. Seems to me like we’re going to have regular storms like this and it’s just a way to lose money in an uninsurable dystopia. But I hate everything about Florida.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
I wonder how many long time resident Florida families buy those waterfront homes with boat docks in the back yard. Admittedly, the prices look attractive but I bet the natives live on higher ground,( if it can be found).

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
I wonder how many long time resident Florida families buy those waterfront homes with boat docks in the back yard.
It’s the gazmillion dollar Miami condos that I don’t understand. I guess if you’re laundering money you want to be near a lot of water?? Seems like a matter of when not if.
D3054A14-E799-4438-A0BE-94D51FD8207E.jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
With something like less than 20% of homeowners in low coastal areas having flood insurance, you can't help but see your insurance premiums going up even though you're a hundred feet above sea level. It's sea level; that doesn't care about hurricane-building regs.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.32.59 AM.png

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I wonder how many long time resident Florida families buy those waterfront homes with boat docks in the back yard. Admittedly, the prices look attractive but I bet the natives live on higher ground,( if it can be found).

None of my family own or owned waterfront property. The older homes are actually more solid than the stick-built homes that were blown away. Every home my family owns is cinderblock on slab with beefy straps securing the roof to the main structure. One of my uncles has hurricane rated windows, the other has hurricane shutters. Everyone lives on (slightly) higher ground, which made all the difference.

My family has lived there for over 60 years. Plenty of depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes. None of my family have ever taken a dime of state or Federal assistance or even filed a homeowner's insurance claim! None of us have ever had to rebuild a home due to a storm, even now. The place has never been flattened like this. In 60 years, the area has grown 600%. That's not hyperbole, it's a real number. The issue isn't climate, it's sprawl and overpopulation coupled with relaxed building codes. Building codes definitely need to be hardened up.

For everyone saying "Well people shouldn't be living there" I'd like to point out that most people living in Florida...aren't Floridians. They're northern migrants fleeing cold winters. The mythical "Flori-duh Man" that is constantly in the news is usually drug addled trash that has drifted down from northern states looking for a more hospitable climate in which to be homeless. I'm an actual born Floridian and I don't know many people like me. When two of us meet it really is a "Wow, hey, cool!" kind of moment.

If no one should be living in Florida, then I'd also like to see everyone in a mobile home move out of the tornado belt in the midwest and let's evacuate Los Angeles because it's built in a desert and has to pipe in its water supply. Also, all you motherfuckers living in the earthquake zone? Out, get out. Oh, New Orleans, too. That place is built in a "bowl" that is basically designed to fill up. Puerto Rico? Cut it loose because "i'M siCk oF My tAx doLLars rEbuiLdiNg tHeM!"

Every winter, Canada basically evacuates to Florida in a massive caravan of RV's. If you're tired of your tax dollars going to fix up Florida after hurricanes, then please stop going there for your leisure time. You're part of the problem. You create the "demand" for the leisure industry down there. Spring break'ers? Stop coming. Stop creating demand for services and lodging. With no demand, the economy dries up, people move out of the state and there's no need to rebuild. Simple, right?

Life must be great sneering down at people from the "cheap seats."

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
None of my family own or owned waterfront property. The older homes are actually more solid than the stick-built homes that were blown away. Every home my family owns is cinderblock on slab with beefy straps securing the roof to the main structure. One of my uncles has hurricane rated windows, the other has hurricane shutters. Everyone lives on (slightly) higher ground, which made all the difference.

My family has lived there for over 60 years. Plenty of depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes. None of my family have ever taken a dime of state or Federal assistance or even filed a homeowner's insurance claim! None of us have ever had to rebuild a home due to a storm, even now. The place has never been flattened like this. In 60 years, the area has grown 600%. That's not hyperbole, it's a real number. The issue isn't climate, it's sprawl and overpopulation coupled with relaxed building codes. Building codes definitely need to be hardened up.

For everyone saying "Well people shouldn't be living there" I'd like to point out that most people living in Florida...aren't Floridians. They're northern migrants fleeing cold winters. The mythical "Flori-duh Man" that is constantly in the news is usually drug addled trash that has drifted down from northern states looking for a more hospitable climate in which to be homeless. I'm an actual born Floridian and I don't know many people like me. When two of us meet it really is a "Wow, hey, cool!" kind of moment.

If no one should be living in Florida, then I'd also like to see everyone in a mobile home move out of the tornado belt in the midwest and let's evacuate Los Angeles because it's built in a desert and has to pipe in its water supply. Also, all you motherfuckers living in the earthquake zone? Out, get out. Oh, New Orleans, too. That place is built in a "bowl" that is basically designed to fill up. Puerto Rico? Cut it loose because "i'M siCk oF My tAx doLLars rEbuiLdiNg tHeM!"

Every winter, Canada basically evacuates to Florida in a massive caravan of RV's. If you're tired of your tax dollars going to fix up Florida after hurricanes, then please stop going there for your leisure time. You're part of the problem. You create the "demand" for the leisure industry down there. Spring break'ers? Stop coming. Stop creating demand for services and lodging. With no demand, the economy dries up, people move out of the state and there's no need to rebuild. Simple, right?

Life must be great sneering down at people from the "cheap seats."
I pulled the Florida man joke, sorry. But I thought Mr. Millers reaction to leave his family and save his F-350 was curious. :)

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 12.24.57 PM.png

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Oh, that comment wasn't directed solely at you.

Lots of people make comments about Florida Man. Hey, I laugh at these articles too. I have certainly met some native Floridians that make me cringe for various reasons. I'm just saying that Florida is not this bottomless reservoir of redneck stupidity and racism that many people think it is and that a lot of undesirable people in the state are..."imported."

As far as the Millers, people panic in fascinating and various ways. I think I'll stop there and leave it be.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Most everybody is imported these days. Nobody likes to see people hurt like this, and we've seen this hurt down there before.

I think the finger-pointing on the expensive aftermath will become stronger with each event in low-lying coastal areas.

If it turns personal I think that will be directed at Fla. leadership, which (these days), is largely in denial of climate change science solutions.

Fla. could be an alternative energy capital of solar and wind power but its current leadership prefers to import fossil fuels to generate power.

Fla. is a front line of hurricanes. Those storms are getting bigger, making surges higher, on top of sea level rise, and perhaps worst of all, dumping more rain during these events. Storm damage is simply creeping uphill from the ocean's edge.

I think we've reached a point where hurricane-building techniques are becoming the least important factor. Mother nature is slowly running things out: Flood insurance has become unaffordable for most, it's simply making less sense to try to live on the edge of a shallow bowl, unless you have the means of the 1%.

Reactions: Mid

kinardly

Super Anarchist
In my experience there're at least two stereotypical Floridas and that, by definition, implies enough common attributes to at least somewhat validate popular caricatures. One is "Flore iduh" which is the bulk of the state inland from the Atlantic Coast with the possible exception of the Ft. Meyers-Tampa Bay area which I haven't visited. The other is "Flah ridah" which runs from just south of Jacksonville to Miami. In the former one often encounters Flore riduh Man in his pickup truck driving down the road 10mph under the speed limit with his right turn blinker on before making a sharp and sudden left turn. In the latter, one encounters Flah ridah Man who talks and acts like he's from the Atlantic East Coast because, well, he is, wears bermuda shorts and drives his golf cart 30 mph under the sped limit without turn blinkers and turns sharply either left or right according purposes only he can discern. As I said, these are caricatures but with enough validity to be recognizable. Flore iduh man owns a shrimping boat which washes up on a beach during the hurricane which blows his double wide off its foundations and Flah ridah Man owns a cuddy cruiser which washes off his backyard dock into the rear patio of his now roofless townhome during the same event.

There are enough equally valid Californica Man stereotypes to provide grist for Ajax's pungent retort, so go ahead. :)

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
my insurance got cut by 90% this year.

I told Geico to fuck off and I self insured this year...