Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
...and rusted out pickups

Aside: When the HIMARS units get returned from Ukraine, I'd like to see them targeted here, at anything that either has "Dollar", "Waffle", or "Barrel" in its name. Let's class the joint up.
So, anyone white and poorer than you. Got it.

Unarmed but bigger than you.
That's why people arm themselves. Because intolerant, physically stronger bullies might attack them.

Your tolerant intolerance is fucking foudroyant. I don't carry, none of my vehicles are rusty, I don't shop or dine anywhere in your HIMARS target list but I certainly don't shit on those who do. I simply don't understand the hate for these people.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I'd bet it's a parallel of poverty that attracts cheap highly processed foods that are sold along our main roads.
I had an interesting discussion with @Elegua about this and he mostly agrees with you. Long, dark winters, low income jobs coupled with long working hours and expensive healthy foods are the problems, I guess.

I think what messed with my head was that I really didn't see any obese people when I visited last year. Seriously.

• All of the girls and guys working the town docks of the ports I visited were thin and fit
  • All of the girls working the restaurants and ice creameries were in at least "fair" shape
  • The lobstermen I met at Pulpit Harbor were not fat
  • You and your wife are thin
  • The Camden harbor master was thin
  • The Lyman-Morse staff were all in decent shape
Where are all these fat people? I do recall that some of the college girls I spoke to said that they were only home for the summer and don't live in Maine year-round, so there is that. Frankly, I felt like one of the fattest people in Maine. I felt like*I* was the one who was out of place.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I think it can be summed up by the 'two Maines', a reference you often see in the media.

One Maine is the prosperous coastal and southern counties, the other is the Northern and Western areas of our vast state.

Oddly, the old NY Post gossip columnist only visited the southern coastal areas (which native Mainers claim is NOT a part of Maine).

I would explain that as: She saw the main tourist region and in fact the fat people on the beaches were all from Mass., which throws off their skinny status for me.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
What’s going on here? I always thought of the upper NE states as a fairly congenial, homogenous collection of similarly independent voting, self sufficient souls with little to choose among them. This feels like the time I was standing in the check in line at the airport in Melbourne, AU and the Ozzie’s and Kiwis started hurling F Bombs at each other. Another illusion destroyed.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
the other is the Northern and Western areas of our vast state.
"vast"? Hah! Maine ranks 39th of 50 states in terms of area:

And to keep things in perspective:
1920px-Alaska_area_compared_to_conterminous_US.svg.png

Alaska is 2.5 times the size of Texas (#2), 4 times larger than California (#3) and 18.8 times larger than Maine (#39).

Last edited:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
What’s going on here? I always thought of the upper NE states as a fairly congenial, homogenous collection of similarly independent voting, self sufficient souls with little to choose among them. This feels like the time I was standing in the check in line at the airport in Melbourne, AU and the Ozzie’s and Kiwis started hurling F Bombs at each other. Another illusion destroyed.
Mass. sort of annexed Maine from the natives in colonial times. I think the grudge still remains between those two New England states.

That's been going on for a long time but so has poking fun at the locals by the folks from 'away'.

This guy was obviously a Mass. spy. You can tell by the teeth (he's got em all)/

Summer jerks.png

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
That's why people arm themselves. Because intolerant, physically stronger bullies might attack them.

Your tolerant intolerance is fucking foudroyant. I don't carry, none of my vehicles are rusty, I don't shop or dine anywhere in your HIMARS target list but I certainly don't shit on those who do. I simply don't understand the hate for these people.

Exactly mirrors my thoughts on this, thank you Ajax. Especially the physical size/bullying bit. Some of the time I think the hatred for people owning guns is because it's hard to physically intimidate an armed man.

And I've never even set foot in Florida.

I used to see people open carry all the time in Arizona, including a 70+ year old man out for the evening with his wife, both formally dressed, and coming from one of Tucson's classic music events. I know that because I was also there though not carrying. Not legal for me and I couldn't be bothered regardless.

Not even for a single second did I feel threatened by that gentleman and I can't conceive of doing so.

Probably more than 50% of the people I worked with carried at least some of the time. Sneering at a bunch of engineers, programmers, highly skilled techs etc reflects more on the sneerer than the sneered IMO.

FKT

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
@chester I'm with you...let's get this back on topic. Fun ways to generate clicks. If you aren't too old to have fun...

Agree. I can’t make heads or tales of this Maine/Massachusetts stuff, regional squabbles maybe like that between Norfolkians and Oxonians in England, or such since time immemorial between neighbouring tribes that are only semi-friendly: conflicts that are totally incomprehensible to outsiders.

I do get the Florida and Texas bashing, because there is so much to bash.

Back on topic.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I don't understand. Were you under 18 at the time?

Australian nationality. AFAIK it was illegal for me to own/carry hand guns. Maybe it wasn't but I really didn't care enough to find out. I was over firearms by that stage in my life really after the Port Arthur massacre. That was far too close to home and caused me to re-evaluate things.

FKT

bny

Exactly mirrors my thoughts on this, thank you Ajax. Especially the physical size/bullying bit. Some of the time I think the hatred for people owning guns is because it's hard to physically intimidate an armed man.

And I've never even set foot in Florida.

I used to see people open carry all the time in Arizona, including a 70+ year old man out for the evening with his wife, both formally dressed, and coming from one of Tucson's classic music events. I know that because I was also there though not carrying. Not legal for me and I couldn't be bothered regardless.

Not even for a single second did I feel threatened by that gentleman and I can't conceive of doing so.

Probably more than 50% of the people I worked with carried at least some of the time. Sneering at a bunch of engineers, programmers, highly skilled techs etc reflects more on the sneerer than the sneered IMO.

FKT
I should just stay out of this, but it doesn't make much sense to me to a) recognize a threat in the presence of someone bigger/stronger than you and b) expect others not to feel threatened by someone wearing a firearm. Either they're both worrisome or neither of them is.