Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
There's a big purple (ex) Tug where I was this morning. In fact, I counted five old tugs that appear to have been converted to yachts. The fuel bills must be amazing. If they ever move.

robtoujours

Communist
Undercover
Zora - is that the obviously far too tender steel one? I wonder if they fixed that, she seemed underballasted.

Like a lot of Irish guys, he is far too shy and self-conscious to be doing videos.

You need an inner steeliness or high narcissism for that.

Unlike most Irish, he is not actually lazy, he put in a lot of work on the rebuild.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
There is a strange convergence of explicit advertising among sailing Youtubers.

The Precision Sails freebie lark has been going for years. But Precision seemed happy with a bit of name-dropping, the occasional appreciative comment, and a place on the title frame as named sponsor (or "partner").

But apart from that, and other one-off freebies on a similar show-us-and-mention-us basis, there was almost no explicit face-to-camera "buy this stuff" promotion, esp of stuff urelated to the video.

I think that SV Delos's post-2019 shift to more intense monetisation was the first to get into the random promo of stuff unrelated to sailing. They started by heavy panhandling, interrupting the video midway with a ~90second begging bowl. Then they started plugging some green-coloured magic food supplement which makes your tits glow in the dark and the gods get horny, or something.

Then Sailing Uma started plugging the Skillshare app, with cleverly-filmed but cringetastic doses of Kike spending two minutes explaining Skillshare to a doppelganger. They bristled when I posted a polite objection, but after a few months they dropped it. Maybe I wasn't the only one unplugging.

But now the more successful sailing vloggers all seem to be turning the face to camera to sell something, like a sponsored TV show in 1950s 'Murica. And they are increasingly selling the same stuff.

VPNs: I think that Gone With The Wynns started it. But now they they + Erik Anderaa + SV Delos are all plugging VPNs in their vids. Did Adventures Of Old Seadog do it too? Or am I imagining that? But the way this is going, a VPN advert may soon be compulsory. I guess there is good profit in retailing VPNs.

Knives: the first I saw was Leo Sampson of "Tally Ho", 'cos obviously a hundred-year-old Pilot Cutter from England is eternally bound to oriental kitchenware. Just obviously. But now two other channels (I forget which) have been promoting the same brand of expensive Japanese kitchen knives.

Fake Scottish Titles: MJ Sailing started this one, plugging plots of a few square feet of land which allegedly allow the owner to call themselves "Lord" or "Lady" (it's unclear whether you can make your own choice between the two, or if there is some check on whether your beer wastewater system has an internal or external discharge point). Apart from being completely cringetastic (anyone trying to use these titles in Scotland would be laughed out of town), they are simply fake: You Can’t Buy One Square Foot of Land in Scotland and Become a “Scottish Lord”.
But the titles themselves are well out-cringed by the accents which MJ Sailing uses to sell them: a sort of mockney via the Bronx. Shudder.
And now Sailing Uma has joined in, which saddens me. They used to be one of the best no- bullshit sailing channels, but this is so tacky.

It's beginning to look like some of the more successful sailing channels may disappear up their own rear ends, into a mix of look-at-cool-me-with-cool-friends-having-SUCH-FUN and buy-this-random-stuff advertorials.

Last edited:

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I gather that this is just a mild little taste of the naked merchandising that goes on outside our little backwater of the internet. I really don't mind if it's brief and/or somewhat entertaining.

Still bemused by stories of teenage fortunes gained and lost due to small tweaks of the algorithms. Digital tulip bulbs...

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
There is a strange convergence of explicit advertising among sailing Youtubers.

The Precision Sails freebie lark has been going for years. But Precision seemed happy with a bit of name-dropping, the occasional appreciative comment, and a place on the title frame as named sponsor (or "partner").

But apart from that, and other one-off freebies on a similar show-us-and-mention-us basis, there was almost no explicit face-to-camera "buy this stuff" promotion, esp of stuff urelated to the video.

I think that SV Delos's post-2019 shift to more intense monetisation was the first to get into the random promo of stuff unrelated to sailing. They started by heavy panhandling, interrupting the video midway with a ~90second begging bowl. Then they started plugging some green-coloured magic food supplement which makes your tits glow in the dark and the gods get horny, or something.

Then Sailing Uma started plugging the Skillshare app, with cleverly-filmed but cringetastic doses of Kike spending two minutes explaining Skillshare to a doppelganger. They bristled when I posted a polite objection, but after a few months they dropped it. Maybe I wasn't the only one unplugging.

But now the more successful sailing vloggers all seem to be turning the face to camera to sell something, like a sponsored TV show in 1950s 'Murica. And they are increasingly selling the same stuff.

VPNs: I think that Gone With The Wynns started it. But now they they + Erik Anderaa + SV Delos are all plugging VPNs in their vids. Did Adventures Of Old Seadog do it too? Or am I imagining that? But the way this is going, a VPN advert may soon be compulsory. I guess there is good profit in retailing VPNs.

Knives: the first I saw was Leo Sampson of "Tally Ho", 'cos obviously a hundred-year-old Piot Cutter from England is eternally bound to oriental kitchenware. Just obviously. But now two other channels (I forget which) have been promoting the same brand of expensive Japanese kitchen knives.

Fake Scottish Titles: MJ Sailing started this one, plugging plots of a few square feet of land which allegedly allow the owner to call themselves "Lord" or "Lady" (it's unclear whether you can make your own choice between the two, or if there some check on whether your beer wastewater system has an internal or external discharge point). Apart from being completely cringetastic (anyone trying to use these titles in Scotland would be laughed out of town), they are simply fake: You Can’t Buy One Square Foot of Land in Scotland and Become a “Scottish Lord”.
But the titles themselves are well out-cringed by the accents which MJ Sailing uses to sell them: a sort of mockney via the Bronx. Shudder.
And now Sailing Uma has joined in, which saddens me. They used to be one of the best no- bullshit sailing channels, but this is so tacky.

It's beginning to look like some of the more successful sailing channels may disappear up their own rear ends, into a mix of look-at-cool-me-with-cool-friends-having-SUCH-FUN and buy-this-random-stuff advertorials.

Wait- I can make my tits glow in the dark? Sweet!

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Delos is doing the knives thing too.

That Scottish Titles thing is on ALL of my f-n channels. Even my nerdy ones. My guitar ones. One of the channels I follow the guy gets a Scottish Title for each of his Gibson guitars gives them funny Scottish names.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It was not only the Trumpists who came after me with death threats - the Cybernats (digitally active and angry scottish Nationalists) also came out gunning for me - I had the temerity to suggest that the clearances were mainly due to their own clan chiefs clearing clansmen off the hills because sheep made good money and tenant peasants made them no money
Dylan, the problem there was not that you were completely wrong. The problem was that you were partially right, but only partially. You omitted huge and crucial elements of the wider picture, and were stubbornly resistant to even consider that your limited understanding of the topic might not be the last word on the subject. You doubled down on that by responding very dismissively an even aggressively to even polite criticism.

You seemed for example to be completely unaware of the context of the devastating effect on the Highlands of the defeat at Culloden, or of the military occupation of the Highlands and the series of repressive "King's Acts" which followed it with an explicit and overt goal of destroying Highland culture: e.g. the Dress Act 1746, Treason Outlawries (Scotland) Act 1748, Heritable Jurisdictions (Scotland) Act 1746 and the Act of Proscription 1746.

Yes, of course there were internal Scottish factors and economic forces playing a powerful part. The Clearances were driven y a combination of many factors. But your story that this was just an internal Scottish squabble was pure fantasy, and it remains so.

You didn't content yourself with ignoring the military occupation and the political goal of destroying the clans. You angrily denounced anyone who tried to put you right ... and then you tried to play the victim, as if the only issue was that some of those who responded were angry and no more interested than you were in considering multi-factoriality.

Sure, some of the people who get enraged by this stuff behave pretty nastily. But the problem is that you resolutely refused to even consider that they might have a point. Instead, you played the ancient game of seeing yourself as the impartial outsider being monstered the savage and ignorant natives threatened you. There was no sign of any attempt by you to consider the systematic, militarised destruction of Highland culture, which may fit clause C of the the UN definition of genocide.

When faced with genocide denial by a person from the nation which ordered the genocide, it should be no surprise to you that some people get very angry, and some of those angry people express than anger in very unpleasant ways. You can expect a similarly hostile response from ethnically-cleansed peoples everywhere if you engage in historical denialism or refuse to listen to their point of view.

You make exquisite landscape and wildlife videos. Your potted histories of coastlines and rivers are delightful. You come across as a generally affable sort of bloke, the sort of man who'd be easy company with a wide range of people. I really miss those exquisitely-crafted long videos of peak KTL, when the Centaurs took you half the way around your island.

So I find it sad that even five years on, you still haven't reconsidered the dismissive certainty of your amateur take on Scottish history, as you learnt it in a country whose anthem includes the lines "Rebellious Scots to Crush". Sad that you haven't tried to spend a few winter evenings trying to understand the perspective of people whose ancestors were on the receiving end of the horrors.

If I thought you were just a twazzock, I wouldn't be sad. There are plenty of twazzocks online, and they are easy to ignore; life has enough unavoidable bitter tastes without souring it further by trawling the interwebs seeking opportunities for offence-taking. But I do think it's a real pity that that a generally good guy has such a blindspot.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Wait- I can make my tits glow in the dark? Sweet!

Great, isn't it?
For a modest addition to your monthly payment, you can upgrade from GlowJob Pro to GlowJob Nauti. This makes your starboard tit glow green, and your port tit glow red, so you can be used as a navigation light.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
So... what does everyone here think of the Pope?

He's too complicit with the crimes committed under and protected by the shield of his faith.

You can't have it both ways, not anymore.

3 Catholics at the Vatican, the last of the line I'm sure. :)

Family Vatican museum.jpg

Latest posts