Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The royal family made a quick trip through Boston this week. Some of the local lack of enthusiasm was blamed on our Irish ancestry.

Whatever. I have little use for the monarchy but nothing against the 'family'. It does seem a little awkward right now.

UK'ers; What's the future of your monarchy now that the king is on the throne?

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 3.51.12 PM.png

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
And speaking of YouTubers, on my trip this past season I had one direct and one indirect encounter. First up was SV Delos, who turned up at Shelter Bay the same week I did. I met them at the pool and they were a little standoffish, but that's to be expected given probably everyone wants to know them.

Such a weird phenomenon, celebrity. Why would anyone want to know them simply b/c they’re sailors with a YT channel. Frankly, I think I’d be the opposite - but maybe anti-celebrity is weird too.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Thoughts from a neighbour of the UK:

The Brits are fed an intense diet of monarchist propaganda, so their monarchy is safe for a while. But Charles is much less liked than his late mother, so the hope seems to be that is more popular son William will rescue the show.

However, the UK is now in a phase of steep economic decline, which is recalibrating a lot of political assumptions.

Also, it is likely that within a decade Scotland will be independent and Ireland will be reunited. Support for Welsh independence is now at the levels seen in Scotland before 2014, and the long odds there are shortening.

It's unclear how the monarchy will adapt to a shrunken Kingdom of England. The recent dose of racism from a Lady in Waiting won't help.

Peter Andersen

Anarchist
The royal family made a quick trip through Boston this week. Some of the local lack of enthusiasm was blamed on our Irish ancestry.

Whatever. I have little use for the monarchy but nothing against the 'family'. It does seem a little awkward right now.

View attachment 557259
I could not think of a US city that would be less fond of the RF than Boston. Why would they even go there? They were booed at the Celtics game.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Such a weird phenomenon, celebrity. Why would anyone want to know them simply b/c they’re sailors with a YT channel. Frankly, I think I’d be the opposite - but maybe anti-celebrity is weird too.
Personally, I also prefer to avoid celebrity. But I am also curious to see how big the gap is between the cultivated public image and the reality, so if I do encounter celebs I tend to stay far enough not to meet, but close enough to observe.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Personally, I also prefer to avoid celebrity. But I am also curious to see how big the gap is between the cultivated public image and the reality, so if I do encounter celebs I tend to stay far enough not to meet, but close enough to observe.
Isn’t there some famous Nietzsche quote about not looking in the mirror for fear of seeing the monster?

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I've met a few but on my stamping grounds. I don't go out of my way about it, generally people come to see me because they've broken something and need it fixed. And I have a rule - leave the cameras off else get someone else to fix it.

I made some new shaft couplings and a short stub shaft the other day for a cruiser. Got to play with my 'new' DS&G lathe. Good vintage year, 1954, when it was made.

FKT

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
It is tempting to think that way.

The problem is that advertising does actually work. Why else would anybody by Marlboros, Vagisil Scentsitive Scents Feminine Dry Wash Deodorant Spray, or Coco Puffs? These are all products that would have failed in the marketplace but for advertising campaigns that not only promoted them but created a market that did not exist.

Advertising impact is easy to measure and while mistakes are sometimes made marketing dollars do not flow unless there are results.
Ah- so that explains why I’ve been buying the feminine dry wash all this time.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Bloke with astonishingly tolerant wife buys southerly, does it up in a yard up the humber, on the way back down he goes aground and is neaped for 11 days

low bum

Tennessee
I have a certain degree of admiration for her and what she is doing but do not find that she has a consistent ability to tell a story. Some of her videos are very good.
Yeah I couldn't care less about her video skills but am impressed with a young woman taking off, alone, in a small and not terribly well refit boat and doing a great job of it. I think the story sort of tells itself.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Yeah I couldn't care less about her video skills but am impressed with a young woman taking off, alone, in a small and not terribly well refit boat and doing a great job of it. I think the story sort of tells itself.
Sure, Wind Hippie's solo journey is a great achievement. And it all seems to have been done without a huge stash of cash.

But I avoid her videos entirely. Not because of camera skills, but because she does that fake-opera-singer thing which seems to be trendy among some younger women, and I can't stand that.

Last edited:

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I am not familiar with the "fake opera singer" trend. Do you have any links of comparison? I am not understanding what you are referencing. I had always thought it was mic'd (Bocelli) vs non mic'd (Pavarati). Real opera singers don't need mics, or something like that. Is there something more than that?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Forget theatre, @MauiPunter. I mean that thing in everyday non-musical settings where someone (usually a youngish woman) sings a line of commentary about their actions.

For example, the meal is ready, and as she lifts the casserole dish from the oven, she sings a line like "I am serererererving the foo-oo-ood".

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Barry had a rough passage from NZ, where he was stuck for two years of covid, to Fiji. Probably the same time I was there, but I did not see or hear of him. Makes me sort of glad I did not sail to NZ as was my original plan. When I got to Vuda Point Marina and discovered they had space in their "cyclone-resistant" cove I plunked down my credit card for $3000 for six months and was very happy. Around 15 minutes in he lets the wind and waves tell the story, these are the kinds of conditions I ran off with staysail only in a maramu, doing 5-7 knots, but he is even more cautious with just a handkerchief of jib out, doing 2-5 knots.

Munz

The Societies have occasionally had a cyclone, rest of FP is pretty safe, last serious ones were in the early 1980s. There are certainly some who stick around the Societies sailing the summer away, but only a few. There are several options for haulout and land storage, but all were fully booked for cyclone season when I was looking this past season. Those islands are all pretty close to each other and so it is only a day's sailing to get from one to another of the five main ones to look for shelter, but cyclone force winds howling around those hills would be scary, just hanging on a mooring or worse my anchor in a maramu in Borabora was pretty hectic, dragging anchor twice in gusts coming off the hills. In the Tuamotus there is a haulout facility on one of the atolls, called Apataki, where lots of folks leave their boats for the cyclone season and as far as I know it has never been hit. One guy I met and got to know reasonably well had kept his boat there for a decade, sailing the Tuamotus each winter season for six months, what a life! I don't believe the Marquesas have ever had a cyclone pass through.

Thanks for the info,
It kinda tally's with what I 've been able to figure out so far: Sailing within one of the island groups during the summer is not too sketchy, but sailing BETWEEN the groups is best avoided (especially on a small boat without satellite comms)

My limitations are slightly different, I'm not personally restricted for time I can spend there, but I can only keep the boat in FP for two years (otherwise I would have to import it).

If you had to choose between spending a summer in the Tuamotus or the Societies which would you consider the lesser evil?

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
I would stay in the Tuamotus, but be aware that in December and January you can get strong northerlies there, which can catch people on lee shores inside the atolls as the vast majority of protected anchorages in the winter are in the south and east of each atoll to avoid the SE trades. So you have to be willing to move to the north side of an atoll, and those seldom have the easiest of anchorages, because the sandy anchorages are on the south and east sides where sand has been collecting for millenia, washed over from the fringing reef by waves driven by the SE trades. Just as an example, the SE corner of Fakarava is a motu called Hirifa, and it is a wonderful place to hang out, isolated enough to have no village or shops, but with water collected onshore and cell service from the nearby South Pass. But you would not want to be there in a northerly as the swell would build enormously given the huge fetch of this large atoll. There is a hulk of a steel sailboat on the shore at the South Pass anchorage in testament to this vulnerability. Fakarava is the safest of all atolls otherwise, as you could anchor safely at the north shore and be within reach of the village of Rotoava on the NE corner with all its supplies, but you need to get up there before a northerly hits, and it takes a day to get from south to north, with a following wind, not a headwind.

If you leave aside the increased risk for cyclones, I really enjoyed the Society islands. I only got to visit four atolls, Makemo, Tahanea, Fakarava, and Taou. I managed easily to visit all of the Society islands, including tiny Tetiaroa on the east side, and Maupiti and Maupihaa on the west. But just playing around the five main islands could take a summer of fun. The passes, unlike in the Tuamotus, are easy, each island has considerable infrastucture making it easy to get by, but also lots of isolated anchorages to get away from it all. And of course much more to do on land as the tuamotus are pretty limited, one motu is not much different from another, and one fringing reef is not much different from another. You just have to get into a relaxed state in the Tuamotus, enjoy the beauty, kitesurfing, snorkeling (in the lagoons, drifting through the passes, and even outside the passes, e.g. at the closed pass on Taou), spearfishing (check with locals about which fish do not have ciguatera), scuba diving if you have money to spare or gear on board (generally drifting the passes or going outside the reef). I spent a month in Fakarava alone, some people spend the whole winter there. Holly spent two years in the Tuamotus.

Latest posts