Priscilla

Super Anarchist
most of the time
Didn’t work out too well for this guy.
DFF1DA83-9306-4E29-9962-3C7C4B9F0CFA.jpeg

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I see that the boy without (?) a Patreon account who goes sailing in cold places just got to this coast and is heading North. He just posted last night on a local forum looking for full spools of rope for shorelines - people were like, “shorelines, what’s that?” They don’t realize he’s a madman :)

Wintering over in Glacier Bay, Alaska would be pretty cool - on my wilderness sailing bucket list. (But I dunno what his plans are... they undoubtedly involve skiing and some cool vids...stay tuned...)

Last edited:

chester

Super Anarchist
I see that the boy without (?) a Patreon account who goes sailing in cold places just got to this coast and is heading North. He just posted last night on a local forum looking for full spoils of rope for shorelines - people were like, “shorelines, what’s that?” They don’t realize he’s a madman :)

Wintering over in Glacier Bay, Alaska would be pretty cool - on my wilderness sailing bucket list. (But I dunno what his plans are... they undoubtedly involve skiing amd some cool vids...stay tuned...)

I bet they could use that baby for ocean research! I'm not kidding, probably more able now than Seeker will ever be.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I bet they could use that baby for ocean research! I'm not kidding, probably more able now than Seeker will ever be.
No comparison. Doug is a dreamer, forever trapped in the Mississippi drainage system or at least the “heartland” as an eternal Trunp apologist; the Arctic boy actually goes to remote places by sailboat and skis remote peaks.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Worried about me? If that is the case it is very nice of you, but totally unnecessary :)

Don't think so - the Alluring Arctic guy I reckon.

I'm an admirer of him and yeah, he may one day find himself in a situation which goes bad, but I'm pretty sure he thinks it all through. I've watched all his earlier vids and he seems to have his shit together.

FKT

I worry about him. One day he is gonna fuck around and find out.... chance of rescue, 0%
Yes, those of us who backcountry ski serious terrain accept that it’s a roll of the dice and that if we’re buried any chance of survival is slim even with modern beacons and airbags.

Drowning offshore in frozen waters or beneath five meters of concrete slush in the alpine, it’s two sides on the same coin for Charon.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Winter in Glacier Bay is very cool! Absolutely amazing back country skiing.
View attachment 558689

View attachment 558690

Years ago, a summer, in Glacier Bay, we met a few guys who thought they may have been the first to winter over in a small boat there. Dunno. Tried to keep in touch to ask them a bit about logistics.

Did you require national park permission? (as is basically required to visit other times of the year, I.e., their booking system to manage visitor numbers)

As an aside, I spent some time up on the glacier at the head of Reid Inlet, never realizing the grizzly hazard ashore. Very naive! They frequently walk the beaches foraging for food. I was lucky. Winter much safer (from that point of view anyway :) ). Tarr Inlet head also a good location for a floating base camp for a ski/climb ascent attempt on Mt. Fairweather.

Last edited: