Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
None better. Je suis un lucky bugger. She took me on what I persuaded her were the standard Essex skippering terms of a shag and a shilling.  I still have the shilling.   

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
With Vag raking in $8500/week, I can't blame them for trying. My question would be....why watch someone with neglible sailing experience?

On the other hand....seems like a good gig for a bloke who can get a decent boat and establish a good youtube presence. Getting a continually new crew of bikinis almost assuredly guarantees a full life, or a life full of drama?

Who really loses anyway? It isn't like anyone is being forced to watch.
I suspect someone with no sailing experience is much easier to relate to for the average shorebound dreamer than someone who  is efficient and competent. They can see themselves there making the same mistakes and surviving with a shrug and a good laugh about it.

Also...by the time you have lots of experience sailing, you're older. Hot twenty & early thirty-somethings sell better with skin than us old farts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I suspect someone with no sailing experience is much easier to relate to for the average shorebound dreamer than someone who  is efficient and competent. They can see themselves there making the same mistakes and surviving with a shrug and a good laugh about it.

Also...by the time you have lots of experience sailing, you're older. Hot twenty & early thirty-somethings sell better with skin than us old farts.
There are still some in the Millennium generation that can sail, have better skin, AND aren't shaking the Patreon cup.

There will always be kids screwing around with boats, gives me hope for the future.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Except of course that YouTube is the contemporary equivalent of the Daily Express c. 1976. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
11 minutes ago, A horse, of course said:

Except of course that YouTube is the contemporary equivalent of the Daily Express c. 1976. 

Sure ....how you wipe your arse with a YouTube clip then?

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
One of the couples disparaged here a couple of pages back is active on the Ericson forums.  They say that when they do an episode all about the boat, or sailing topics, it sinks like a brick.  

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Here's Clickbait, Ver 1. c. 1959, in the promo for Eric and Susan Hiscock's film Beyond the West Horizon

hiscock.jpg

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Here's Clickbait, Ver 1. c. 1959, in the promo for Eric and Susan Hiscock's film Beyond the West Horizon

View attachment 240865
Definitely click bait and a pioneer of the medium I suspect. If you look carefully I believe the photo was taken in their backyard on the Isle of Wight and the model a lass from Greenland who worked down at the local cafe. No wonder he sold s lot of books.

savoir

Super Anarchist
No need to drool too much. She has only gone from an A cup to a B.

Nice but not enough to pop the fly buttons.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
La Vag are getting some excellent advice

they are revamping their offer - the cameraman, the teeshirts, beer coolers etc etc.

They also have 1300 people paying to see the films(and new busters) before anyone else.

Their patreon numbers are rising all the time - which I think is jolly good.

Contrary to some comments that  these two just begging their way around the planet these two work bloody hard at what they are doing - and are exceptionally good at it. To dismiss it as beggging is to fail to understand what the project is about

the main focus is still those 1300 patreon tappers who chip in $5 or $6 a week - week in week out. The 200,000 hits per film help Outremar to offer them a good deal on a cat (not free) but the people who count are those patreon people

all the rest of us who watch the films two weeks late count for zip all - those other 190,000 freeloading hits on youtube are merely a pool of potential recruits to the patreon buster watccchers.

this is what counts

http://kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/

and for people who don't like reading

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
They've turned their dream job into a Nightmare. Must be hard to keep this all going with mounting costs. I guess they've got a few peoples with a vested interest to make sure it succeeds now but still has to put a lot of stress on their relationship having to keep to a strict schedule. 

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
They've turned their dream job into a Nightmare. Must be hard to keep this all going with mounting costs. I guess they've got a few peoples with a vested interest to make sure it succeeds now but still has to put a lot of stress on their relationship having to keep to a strict schedule. 
This isn't a new scenario.  Coming from the windsurfing industry, many people think about how awesome it must be traveling around the world, going to various beaches, selling, competing, being in the rags, and promoting.  But, at the end of the day, you find your self windsurfing less, and "working" more.  And suddenly, you start to loath the whole scene and you burn out. Turing your hobby into job kinda kills the fun of your hobby.  I've heard similar stories from those coming from the golf industry as well.   I suppose if you are making reams of cash, it softens the blow, but if you are just making a living like any other duffer out there, it wears thin.    I suppose the sailing industry could be similar.  You end up living booth to booth to booth, rather then actually getting out on the water like you used to.  I do wonder if "La Vag" is having as much fun as they seemed to be having when they first started out.  I've stopped watching so, I dont know.  Im sure they put on a good show.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

La Vag are getting some excellent advice

they are revamping their offer - the cameraman, the teeshirts, beer coolers etc etc.

They also have 1300 people paying to see the films(and new busters) before anyone else.

Their patreon numbers are rising all the time - which I think is jolly good.

Contrary to some comments that  these two just begging their way around the planet these two work bloody hard at what they are doing - and are exceptionally good at it. To dismiss it as beggging is to fail to understand what the project is about

the main focus is still those 1300 patreon tappers who chip in $5 or $6 a week - week in week out. The 200,000 hits per film help Outremar to offer them a good deal on a cat (not free) but the people who count are those patreon people

all the rest of us who watch the films two weeks late count for zip all - those other 190,000 freeloading hits on youtube are merely a pool of potential recruits to the patreon buster watccchers.

this is what counts

http://kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/

and for people who don't like reading

Dylan there I was thinking you are the master but you forgot that these video people need to have a uber drone budget...anything can happen.

http://ab.co/2uc7p2A - via @abcnews

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
There's an old saying- "Don't turn your hobby into your vocation."