Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Schnappi

Never in my life have I filmed anything, but occasionally had people onboard that did some filming. You see some very small snipbits here: https://www.youtube.com/@BagheeraSailing

We have started working on the coolest sailing project ever and are potentially interested in sharing this on YT, though I'd need to hire somebody for the filming and the editing. I suck at that and I don't have the time for it. No girls in thongs in warm places though...
This is FKNA cool as shit.

I understand that YT isn't your thing, but I bet a bunch of people would dig a video tour of your boat. That thing looks awesome.

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
Minneapolis area
There's some company called "30 seconds Out" that sells motivational patches and stickers that say "No one is coming" and "Expect to self rescue."

I'm a lemming, I bought a couple to sew onto my foulies.
They have much to learn from us.

I, uh, buy their stickers for my children.

So, my nephew, who is an aerospace engineering major at Texas A&M, was out sailing a sunfish on a family reunion sort of a vacation this summer. Things were not going well and he was quite a ways from the resort, downwind, in not much wind. The resort sent out a boat to check on him and ask him if he wanted a tow, and he said, that he and his family followed a self-rescue ethic, and he would get back to shore himself.

Last edited:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@Bagheera absolutely badass. You're not getting out of here easily.

We want full specs on the boat, more photos. Who was your crew? What path did you take to get to Greenland? I assume it was summer? August?

That top-down view from the mast: "Fuck off, ice! We're steel!"

When I served on submarines, I made two missions far above the Arctic Circle and surfaced and disembarked several times. Your video really took me back to the utter silence and "otherworldliness" of it all. It was all very Captain Nemo.

I'm 50 now and retirement is in the target reticle. Part of me says "Do what all the other retirees are doing and go to the Caribbean." The other part of me says "risk your life, do things that few other people are doing." At the very least, I need to sail to Newfoundland. My little plastic boat will make it.

Plus, it's another great opportunity to piss off my parents who really disapprove of my singlehanded sailing outside of the Chesapeake Bay.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Some people of your/my gen (I’m close to you in age), who grew up just after the trailblazers of parent-pissing-offers, i.e., the Sex Pistols (Black Sabbath was/is right up there too in pissing parents off), started pissing off their parents when younger. However, it can be done at any age.
30 too old for a mohawk? I dunno,...

Long hair (on males) pissed off a lot of old people in the 60's. I'm open-minded - and it doesn't piss me off at all - but I don't know about this extreme tattoo era.

A small one here or there, ok, you can live with that (and you will, live with that).

But I can't help but look at these fully tattooed limbs, knuckles, neck, side of head, etc., and picture them on the old bodies that are soon to come.

I can't recall anything I said at 18, that I need to be posted on my forehead, today.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Any age? Nah, it doesn't work so well when one's parents have died...
I certainly never knew Jim Morrison’s father, but I suspect his son’s decision not to follow in dad’s footsteps (he was a US Navy Admiral), and in fact show no interest and go quite in the opposite direction, you might say :) pissed him even after his son’s early rock ‘n’ roll legend death at 27... :) Sorta opposite scenario, but applies both way I’d think. Jim was undoubtedly rolling over in his grave pissing off his dad, while some continue to piss off their parents long after their parents’ death, relishing in them rolling over in their grave. There are therapists for both of those sorts of situations :)

That ancient Socrates quote...LOL... “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Last edited:

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Socrates was a lazy slacker -- apprenticed as a stonemason, never held a steady job, spent his days loafing about the agora bullshitting with his lads. Long-suffering wife Xanthippe got so frustrated with his idleness, she allegedly dumped a full chamber pot over his head. So we should accord his "The problem with young people today..." moralizing the same value as Bill Fucking Cosby's. ;)

When I told my mother of my desire to buy a boat suitable for high-latitude expeditions and more or less give up on the fulltime rat race permanently, her response was: “Do it, and get on it before you’re too old and the dream becomes a regret buried under responsibilities, I wish I’d been brave enough to do it myself”.

Not everyone’s parents are squares, I got lucky. ;)

Bagheera

Alaska
This is FKNA cool as shit.
Thanks, but generally I do a lot cooler shit than this. When the ice gets so thick you can walk anywhere or 'sail' anywhere, that is when it gest fun!
I understand that YT isn't your thing, but I bet a bunch of people would dig a video tour of your boat. That thing looks awesome.
One of the video makers that I had onboard did a bunch of interviews for EuroNews. There is a mediocre tour of the outside of the boat. Made for people that have never seen a boat before. There must be a video of the interior somwehere as well that was made for EuroNews, but I can't find it.

Here is one that was made for a bunch of our followers that shows a little bit about the boat too. This Channel has a few more video's that were taken during that summer.

Last edited:

Bagheera

Alaska
@Bagheera absolutely badass. You're not getting out of here easily.

We want full specs on the boat, more photos. Who was your crew? What path did you take to get to Greenland? I assume it was summer? August?
That is hard to answer, I've been up in the Arctic for 23 years now and the high latitudes for 30+ years (some would argue my whole life as I was born in the Netherlands. But personally I don't count that as High Latitudes). During those years I made 7 or 8 trips to Greenland, both from the Canadian side as well as the European side. Crew varies greatly. We take scientists up north so they can do their field research. We also take film teams for NatGeo and the BBC, or facilitate mountain climbing expeditions in really remote places. Occasionally we take adventure sailors with us or facilitate mile-builders for RYA or other (captains)licenses. I do a lot of singlehanded deliveries. My wife has her own boat and we usually sail the same trips, but each on our own boat.
I have been messing around the Arctic with Bagheera since 2009, the year I finished her built. This is roughly the routes that I sailed with her, mind you there have been a lot of sailing on other boats as well that are not displayed on this map. Seasons run from April till Oct/Nov, though we also sail in the winter from our home in Alaska and prior to living in Alaska we sailed in the winter in Eastern Canada and Northern Europe:
74861870_2971788366199300_452611698126225408_n.jpg

The Boat is steel, multi chine. Ice reinforced. 12mm (half inch) hull plates below and just above the waterline. Deck is 2.5mm to save some weight. Insulation is 10cm/4inch throughout. The boat rocks 4 water tight bulkheads and a water (air)tight engine compartment. The main area of the boat has a double bottom. The keel is 3m/10' deep with a bulb at the foot. De rest of the fin is full of anchor chain (windlass is at the base of the mast) as well as diesel tank. 2x 600l (160 gallon) water. Diesel storage tank is 450 gallons with a 25 gallon day tank. Engine is a 2017 Yanmar 80hp. Empty weight ready to sail is 18 metric ton, fully loaded for a north west passage transit we approach the 30 metric ton. Accommodations for 6 people comfortably, 8 if we push it (mountain climbers come with 10 X) )
Boat is 15.25m (50') on deck, 4.55m(15') wide. Mast stands 24.5m(81') above the water and carries a main of 68m2(730 sqft), a 105% jib of 85m2(920 sqft). This jib was hank on for the first 6 years before I changed it to furler. There is a hank on staysail of 40m2(430 sqft) The staysail has a slab reef and can be reduced to 28m2. For more wind I have a trysail on a separate rail and two storm jibs of different sizes.

Interior has a salon that sits 10 people, a large galley, enormous nav station (I like paper charts), washing machine, shower, two heads, 4 bunk beds up front, queen size bed in the aft, workshop with decent work bench, large lazarette for storage of expeditional equipment of our clients, and an even bigger forepeak storage for a couple of zodiacs, couple of outboards, spinnaker and more expedition equipment like skis, sleds etc.

Bagheera specs in a nutshell...

Here an article that my wife and I wrote a few years ago:

And an Article on our North West Passage transit:

And one on a research/exploration trip to the Central Arctic Ocean:

Last edited:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
When I told my mother of my desire to buy a boat suitable for high-latitude expeditions and more or less give up on the fulltime rat race permanently, her response was: “Do it, and get on it before you’re too old and the dream becomes a regret buried under responsibilities, I wish I’d been brave enough to do it myself”.
When my wife and I left on our first long sailing trip to Mexico and points south (we were in our late 20's) both sets of parents were out there in their respective boats. Each called on the VHF to wish us well. My wife's and her dad were both snuffling and crying and saying goodbye like it was the last time they would ever see each other...

My dad takes his turn "OK - have fun and be safe. Hope it all goes well". That was it. It helped that I had trained them by doing lots of wilderness travel from a pretty young age. I'm sure they figured I'd bite it on one trip or another.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
My wife has her own boat and we usually sail the same trips, but each on our own boat.
Dude. What about you know... um keeping the bed warm on long cold nights? How's that work if she is on another boat?

The article about your boat is great; sounds very well thought out and a heck of a design effort for your age. Congratulations.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Good thought. My wife and I met at a sailing instructor course. We discussed our individual plans to each have a small boat and go sailing (she liked the little Vancouver 27 and I liked Chuck Paine's 30' boats). At some point we looked at each other and said it would be better if we combined resources and just go in one boat... Best of luck with the new build.

cje

Anarchist
This is an interesting conversation.
We went with a cat after years of living aboard monos.
She has her side with mirrors and all her shit.
I've mine with tools and all my shit.
We get together for mealtimes, movies and tonite a Tom Petty sing along.

Latest posts