Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

fufkin

Super Anarchist
Boo hoo,

I say turning your hobby into a job is turning pro. Good for these guys for upping the ante and making it happen, drones and Outremer included. Whether or not a couple's relationship survives being in business together is a side bar issue. Good luck to them!

(I haven't watched any of these except at the beginning of their trip...I do like their buddies Norlin 37 in this video though...)

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
My eldest daughter who is as smart as tack and a font of knowledge for all things digital and social media wise (maybe she was adopted and no one told me) simply said;

"Dad your over complicating it all; these Patreon Vagabonde morons have no interest in sailing other than looking at  postcard images wishing they were there, but overiding that they are simply hoping for some sort of boat catastrofuck, or the girl will get pregnant, or she/he will fall in love with the fuel dock bowser boy in Turkey and they leave each other or all of the above...these idiots simply want to be the first to know so they have something weird to talk about with their friends that is out of the ordinary"

Somehow I think she may be on the money. If so she is not adopted.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
My eldest daughter who is as smart as tack and a font of knowledge for all things digital and social media wise (maybe she was adopted and no one told me) simply said;

"Dad your over complicating it all; these Patreon Vagabonde morons have no interest in sailing other than looking at  postcard images wishing they were there, but overiding that they are simply hoping for some sort of boat catastrofuck, or the girl will get pregnant, or she/he will fall in love with the fuel dock bowser boy in Turkey and they leave each other or all of the above...these idiots simply want to be the first to know so they have something weird to talk about with their friends that is out of the ordinary"

Somehow I think she may be on the money. If so she is not adopted.
If you remove the context of sailing, that sounds like pretty much 90%+ of the consumers of whatever social media you care to talk about.   I'd say more likely she is simply projecting the habits of her and her friends than any biting analysis of exactly why THIS pair or Delos have become the #1 consumed sailing content on social media.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Only a trailer but very slick on the production and editing front when you have a few dollars.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
If you remove the context of sailing, that sounds like pretty much 90%+ of the consumers of whatever social media you care to talk about.   I'd say more likely she is simply projecting the habits of her and her friends than any biting analysis of exactly why THIS pair or Delos have become the #1 consumed sailing content on social media.
I think you missed the point ..but then I would say more likely she is brighter than you.

fufkin

Super Anarchist
31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Only a trailer but very slick on the production and editing front when you have a few dollars.

Jack,

Not long ago a short one minute trailer like this could easily cost 100k. With the advance of digital photography, and whole suite digital editing of both sound and video, not to mention the more recent introduction of drones, a small film crew can come reasonably close at a fraction of the cost. Something like the Waterlust crew, while certainly not underfunded, put out a high quality product with a small crew that would've never been possible twenty years ago. It was none other than Francis Ford Coppolla who used to muse about a new era where any kid with a camera and a computer and some talent could not be stopped.

I think we sometimes forget how relatively new the era of YouTube gorilla filmmaking actually is. It's all to taste, and you certainly don't need a drone to make a tight film, and sure, some are certainly better than others. (Admittedly, the Comanche spot sure is a tad more than 'gorilla filmmaking' (industry slang for shoestring budget) but the budget might surprise).

Wess

Super Anarchist
19 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

For the addicts... infortunatley reluctant to get them off the leash so viewing stats will plummet I suspect.

I think you do more to keep them going and watching than anybody. 

Cool video.

They seem happy.  You guys seem angry, LOL.

PS - Just noticed their little Outremer was doing ~8 knots in ~8 knots of true wind speed.  Not bad advertising!  So easy a La Vagabonde can do it!

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I think I understand the concept of "guerrilla film-making," but I'm a little fuzzy on the "gorilla" kind.  The director beats his chest and yells a lot?  Stomps on the camera?  Chases the script girl...?

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I think you missed the point ..but then I would say more likely she is brighter than you.
And you missed my point, she is simply parroting. 

VidCon just wrapped up this weekend, the annual convention of invite only "content creators" from various social media platforms.  Clickbait thumbnails & various drama inducing storylines to attract and grow their fanbase were undoubtedly a hot topic amongst creators.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I can't recall if I ever mentioned this couple, arguably the most successful sailing couple that has used mostly digital media to generate a livelihood, but undoubtedly they've been doing it the longest.  "Retired" ex-tv producers from Canada they are now on their third sponsored boat, and have been doing this successfully for ever a decade.  First selling their CD's mail order, now I believe they are up to 10 seasons available pay per view on Vimeo.  So La Vag isn't breaking new ground here, they've had a long association with Southerly, and apparently are continuing that relationship with the new owners, and their own model of boat.

(Their videos have that overly produced cheap television feel because...well that's what they do.  They've managed to sell their packaged seasons to a few cable & satellite stations over the years).

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
6 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I can't recall if I ever mentioned this couple, arguably the most successful sailing couple that has used mostly digital media to generate a livelihood, but undoubtedly they've been doing it the longest.  "Retired" ex-tv producers from Canada they are now on their third sponsored boat, and have been doing this successfully for ever a decade.  First selling their CD's mail order, now I believe they are up to 10 seasons available pay per view on Vimeo.  So La Vag isn't breaking new ground here, they've had a long association with Southerly, and apparently are continuing that relationship with the new owners, and their own model of boat.

(Their videos have that overly produced cheap television feel because...well that's what they do.  They've managed to sell their packaged seasons to a few cable & satellite stations over the years).

"DVD sales apear to have fallen off a cliff" - the man from sony

I agree - they have been doing a good job for years - and produced a well made DVD set each year.

I am sure they have struggled in the wake of the demise of the DVD.

We all generally want it now, we want it for free - or we will click on the freely available films from the sailors with their surgically enhanced busters

Dylan

savoir

Super Anarchist
I'm mighty envious of that new dink they have on LV. It's a 10ft Highfield fitted with a 15hp Honda. NICE

Including VAT that doesn't leave too much change from $10,000.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
"DVD sales apear to have fallen off a cliff" - the man from sony

I agree - they have been doing a good job for years - and produced a well made DVD set each year.

I am sure they have struggled in the wake of the demise of the DVD.

We all generally want it now, we want it for free - or we will click on the freely available films from the sailors with their surgically enhanced busters

Dylan
Their target market is/was the late 40's/50's crowd with disposable income, but still young enough for "one last adventure".  Once DVD sales "fell off a cliff", they were the first to embrace the Vimeo pay per view system, and are apparently doing well enough there they don't feel the need to change anything.  Add in a few niche television sales...and well apparently they are responsible for a double digit percentage of Southerly's sales over the years.  There's a reason they are on their third subsidized boat.

Youtube is a poor revenue generation tool, not just for sailing (or especially for sailing, I'm sure as you've found out).  It's a marketing tool.  Their marketing is VERY targeted, they know their demographic, and tailor their product accordingly.  Their marketing expenses are pretty much limited to flights & hotels on the boat show speaking tour, where they have more demand for dates than they have time for.

It's been interesting following them over the years, as a marketing exercise if nothing else.

So when are you getting that drone Dylan?  LMAO!

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
It is on the list

I aim to have one by the time I take this boat

894533_0-1.jpg

through here

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/37140739?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

it is the passage between loch tarbert and inner loch tarbert on Jura

It will  have to be 4K. I have boought the main 4K camera

in the meantime I am sailing the little motorsailor

Many a slip twixt cup and lip though.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Not sure if this one has been mentioned

Abandon Comfort

Nice looking couple - 50,000 views per film - well shot....

47 patrons $240 per film
While she is easy to look at, what they are doing to that Hallberg Rassy is not...they're butchering that nice old boat. I do agree with the bit about upgrading the shore power connection to a Smart Plug though.

IStream

Super Anarchist
They installed a queen sized bed with decent headroom. Look at her, the guy's got his priorities straight.