Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
All these young fettlers on YT. I can't get my son to do any fettling on his boat! He's been tearing my shop apart since he could walk building stuff, or tearing it down. He always achieves what he sets out to do.

The Yanmar on his (and boat partner) gave up the ghost soon after launching (it had been unused to 6-7 years). He tried the usual Youtube steps for newbs. And they hired a mechanic, or two (most shade tree, paid with beers). Nobody can figure it out (I tried with my limited engine experience, re-powered two of my own boats, etc, typical).

Didn't slow them down this season though. They sailed it all over with crews of friends. Used the leaky inflatable the few times they couldn't sail it where they wanted to go. Heck, half the time they had no gas in their previous smaller sailboats, and sailed them all season long.

View attachment 563624

Just as I have been sort of predicting, last week I got a text "what do you think about going electric with FREYA, Dad?" He's analysed it, started looking up electric conversions and prices,...and of course, he's all hot on doing THAT installation himself.

'Cheesiz, I don't know,...' I think to myself. I'd try to save that Yanmar. But Freya sits nice and warm today under shrinkwrap, and with a week vacation from his remote software engineering job, and he isn't onboard, fettlin',...

He was on his phone long enough just an hour ago, to send this pic to the family thread:

That's right, the little bastard is flying fishing in Maine right now - today, and catching brook trout (and releasing them, as he does with all of them, even though I beg him to bring them to my frying pan,...).

View attachment 563625

Any last ditch diesel advice for me before the Yanmar lands next the marine head his partner ripped out a couple of weeks ago?
New news on the Yanmar. The boys did some serious noodling with the mechanic, who is younger than they are. Their mechanic is an honest trained diesel mechanic.

The plan is to pay this guy about 2K up front for parts. He's doing what he calls a routine factory-specified teardown of the engine. The compression checked out, he's planning on replacing/rebuilding fuel pump, injectors.

He's found a couple of bent push rods, lots of carbon, etc. My son says mechanic thinks the likely labor will be around 2500. The mechanic sounds like he's confident and will guarantee the Yanmar will be running well(because the compression is fine).

Sounds good to me. Splitting the cost 50/50, the boys are happy if they end up with a reliable auxiliary in the Pearson. This will put them at about 15K into the Vanguard, including sale cost.

I think they will be much better educated about diesels after this adventure.

Bottom line is, with flyfishing, snowboarding, XC skiing etc, and working remotely, they don't have the time, but they have the money.

My sons' girlfriend took this of him working on the deck of his apartment on Camden Harbor.

Looks like one of those fake Covid backdrops you used to see. Remember those?

IMG_1608.jpeg

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
quietly spoken likeable beardy bloke and two big old sailing boats

worth a skim

I thought this thread was about girls with Patreon accounts going sailing on their yachts in warm places. The guy who was whining above about this will not be pleased to see a bloomin’ bearded bloke on a black boat. Please delete this madness before we see a veritable blossoming of bearded boat blokes. Blimey! :)

Last edited:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
quietly spoken likeable beardy bloke and two big old sailing boats

worth a skim

Dylan,

I’ll see your bearded bloke, and raise you one.

This is a good one. (The Interlude at 2:00 is fun.). And all the various “Al’s Guide to [etc]” are fun.

But, warning: this is not —I repeat, not—about a girl with a Patreon account going sailing in a warm place, so if you don’t see one in this film, please do not complain (or, if you’re the complainer type of person, go ahead and complain to the management of this place, Sailing Anarchy, but not to me, and definitely not here in this thread: that’s even worse of a sin than complaining about this not being a film about girls with Patreon accounts going sailing in warm places). Look as you might, hope as you may - there are none here. There is long hair and a ponytail here: but this is not a girl, much less one with a Patreon account. And it’s not a warm place (note the northern latitude pasty skin, and beard: you have been warned). But, sailing there is. Note the old 1980s oilskins.

Without further ado, “My Winter Sailing Escapade”:

Last edited:

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I thought this thread was about girls with Patreon accounts going sailing on their yachts in warm places. The guy who was whining above about this will not be pleased to see a bloomin’ bearded bloke on a black boat. Please delete this madness before we see a veritable blossoming of bearded boat blokes. Blimey! :)
that reminded me about sailing on the alde in the winter

no girls, no man bun, no rain but snow and ice

I love the winter light

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Apologies, Judd. With some much to watch on Youtube, I couldn't get past 'a bloke rowing with oars that are waaaay too short' :)

View attachment 570003
I’m with you there, Tom. :) But it’s actually a very watchable vid. It popped up somewhere randomly yesterday - it’s actually 10 years old! - and I thought it’d be the perfect reply to Dylan’s (which was shot here in Vancouver). He’s an amusing, likeable character (in the film i posted), and it’s a simple film made long before the Patreon grift existed, but the ending is, shall we say, puzzling...

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I’m with you there, Tom. :) But it’s actually a very watchable vid. It popped up somewhere randomly yesterday - it’s actually 10 years old! - and I thought it’d be the perfect reply to Dylan’s (which was shot here in Vancouver). He’s an amusing, likeable character (in the film i posted), and it’s a simple film made long before the Patreon grift existed, but the ending is, shall we say, puzzling...
On your recommendation, I'll fast forward the rowing, and watch it. Thanks!

jmh2002

Some of you guys have strange ideas about fun. How many days do we have left? Hanging out in cold, dark places with sweaty guys is not my idea of a holiday

^ (y)

Unfortunately it seems like the hairy men fans are back... Maybe they have nothing better to do than up their post count and pollute threads. Sad and pitiful.

In any case, if that's their thing, nobody is stopping them from starting their own separate thread entitled "Hairy Man Goes Sailing In A Miserable Place" where they can delight in rapture together over beard length/quality, degree of miserability, whether that is ice or snow on deck, etc, etc...

;)

Last edited: