Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

The inimitable Christian Williams has a new video out. 

The perspective of an older man with a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness on the bookshelf is always a refreshing contrast.

Last edited by a moderator:

savoir

Super Anarchist
In their tips on sailing around the world Riley turned his nose up at all the safety stuff other cruisers carried saying it weighed a tonne and they were quite happy with just a Liferaft and an EPIRB. They must have carried a pidgeon for long distance comms when away from free wi-fi.

Their handlers for this arctic excursion might have to educate them in the "what happens when it goes pear shaped" department.

Then there's the pile of spaghetti they leave on deck. Tread on that at 20 knots and its hello boys with pike and a flatbag dismount.

LB 15

Cunt
In their tips on sailing around the world Riley turned his nose up at all the safety stuff other cruisers carried saying it weighed a tonne and they were quite happy with just a Liferaft and an EPIRB. They must have carried a pidgeon for long distance comms when away from free wi-fi.

Their handlers for this arctic excursion might have to educate them in the "what happens when it goes pear shaped" department.
A good pair of bolt-ons not only create clicks- they will help her to float face up if the unthinkable happened.

I wish she would get'im out...

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
The video they posted from Puerto Rico saying they were forced to leave and pay their way back home. That includes the air transport cost of the military extraction plane to Puerto Rico and hotel accommodations at $120 a day for as many days as it takes to get them on a flight stateside. They were taken to a shelter in PR and clothes were distributed as they were only allowed one bag and chose to take their electronic devices.

There's the evidence Pano, it was posted yesterday. You make it sound like people here make shit up that they need to prove to you at your request :(

P.S. Other videos of the islands show tourists abandoned by their governments and hiding from armed looters in a bathroom etc in fear of their lives as racial tensions are high right now. I read that on Yahoo news this morning if you want to check for yourself...
I don't look this videos in detail but I am just under the impression that they left because they didn't like it not because they were forced to. They just behaved like lemmings whereas they were supposedly out there "discovering" the world. May be they would have fob them off but I think that they could have tried to find an organisation like the red cross or médecins dans frontières and given them a hand, they probably are understaffed and anybody can help with logistics. If they stay close to the boat, they stand a better chance of refloating it eventually. OK, if they couldn't be bothered to flee the hurricane, they probably don't have what it takes to save their sunken boat. 

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Good point, maximizing that promo investment.

The recent vid has Riley RIPP'n along comfortably at 17/18 kts with bursts north of 20. Yuppp

The rig be a humm'n man. Please put on a PFD and tether - forfucksakes
what sort of crude rig requires going forward to the mast to reef?

I thought modern boats had systems to avoid such malarky.

I also wonder if a tether is any use at 20 knots - I assume some-one has to take off the power pretty quickly otherwise the MOB gets a lung full of 20 knot water

I wear seldom a proper life jacket when sailing....

occasionally I wear  a floatation jacket - it keeps me warm like a puffa

sometimes I wear an inflating life jacket under a loose waterproof top. which is apparently a sentence of almost instand death

In the dinghy I always have one with me - not always on - usually I am sitting on it as it makes an excellent seat pad.

People appear to have stopped telling me to wear them in the youtube comments

having said all that

the only thing worse than a fool....... is an old fool

D

PS - my ropes are sometimes less than perfectly coiled

savoir

Super Anarchist
Well Dylan, next time you have to head up to the mast to tuck in a reef while doing 20 knots, please leave the camera running. It should pick up either a thud or a splash. It was your British navy that invented the phrase " ship shape ".

Then again I think one of them also said " kiss me Hardy ". Must have been a long voyage.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Centaur

LRSF_DSC_5704-630x400.jpg

britain's most numerous four knot shit box

20 knots - only on a truck and then the mast will be down

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
10 hours ago, Tom Keffer said:

The inimitable Christian Williams has a new video out. 

The perspective of an older man with a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness on the bookshelf is always a refreshing contrast.

Ahh TK you have made my day with this......I'm overdue taking on this challenge and exploring the bigger picture! Thank you.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Ahh TK you have made my day with this......I'm overdue taking on this challenge and exploring the bigger picture! Thank you.
 I like his video of the Jersey shore in the 50's cruising with his Mom,Dad and brother. Classic stuff!

I don't look this videos in detail but I am just under the impression that they left because they didn't like it not because they were forced to. They just behaved like lemmings whereas they were supposedly out there "discovering" the world. May be they would have fob them off but I think that they could have tried to find an organisation like the red cross or médecins dans frontières and given them a hand, they probably are understaffed and anybody can help with logistics. If they stay close to the boat, they stand a better chance of refloating it eventually. OK, if they couldn't be bothered to flee the hurricane, they probably don't have what it takes to save their sunken boat. 
Nope.

They were worthless to the locals. We went theough Sandy 5 years ago and the locals here who didn't prepare(80percent) were worthless to help in any capacity. The Red Cross doesn't just accept volunteers at every emergency as they prepared ahead of time to serve the community. 

The kids got themselves into that mess by sailing north toward the storm system to up their hits on YouTube, lost their boat and all their possessions. They became instant parasites to the locals and put an immediate strain on the frail infrastructure remains. And on top of that, they knew no one to offer them any assistance and were exhausted and hungry like everyone else. If they were still there, I think the locals would have robbed them of their electronics and worse...

Those kids will be on land for a long time now and I'm glad. At least they won't be raped and killed by the natives who have gone full caveman...

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
It will be an interesting winter.

I reckon there are around 50 patreon floggers/vloggers out there in their 40 footers swimming with pigs, emoting at dolphins, snorkelling in crystal clear water.  Many of them are making excellent videos  but shoving them out into a market that is nearly as crowded as the rolly polly anchorages they spend time in. I would guess that there will be a massive shake out.....

there are those who have  lost their 40 footers..... there are those who will find that the cost of insurance has suddenly become unaffordable, or that sailing is a bit more demanding than they had thought, or  that there is not enough spare patreon cash to support 50 bikini sailors waving their busters at cameras.

The other trend is the "guests" schtick where people are invited along to join the experience.... not sure what the financial arrangements are with that. Do these "guests" do their own laundry? do  they bring their own sleeping bags? Who takes care of the costs of the airport transfers? Do they pay for their own beers? Who cleans shit house?

Are the guests insured in any way.

When I sold the last Centaur in Glasgow (land of beach bars, glamourous babes, interesting local colour) lots of blokes said that I should start offering sailing experiences or some training.....

my idea of hell on earth.

sharing space on a 26 footer in scotland with occasional stays from wife/dog/family is tough..... sharing it with people who know nuffink and are expecting a holiday with swimming pigs and white beaches would be fekkin bonkers.... and I have never owned a boat that could be anywhere near coded so it would be horribly illegal. My boats have been too crap to pass any insurance survey so I sail with third part insurance

I have greatly enjoyed many of the sailing  narratives that have been created. I am really grateful to these people for showing how good my life could have been had I been younger and better looking.

I occasionally wonder about the legacy left by these people.

When I think of victorian sailors I imagine the noble  slocums and the middletons manfully facing long cold passages - stiff upper lips barely quivering in the wind. The image of  the millennial sailor, on the other hand, will be a girl with plastic busters feeding boloney sandwhiches to spotted pigs.

This time will pass.

Dylan

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
When I think of victorian sailors I imagine the noble  slocums and the middletons manfully facing long cold passages - stiff upper lips barely quivering in the wind. The image of  the millennial sailor, on the other hand, will be a girl with plastic busters feeding boloney sandwhiches to spotted pigs.
Not to mention Tilman & Smeeton as exemplars of tough English sailors. One ended up dying at sea and the other came bloody close a couple of times.

FKT

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I don't understand how all these Caribbean vloggers are going to do now. Even if their boats survived, the services are all gone. People are sleeping out in the open, with no shelter.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I don't understand how all these Caribbean vloggers are going to do now. Even if their boats survived, the services are all gone. People are sleeping out in the open, with no shelter.
They're going to ask you for money.

Jaramaz

Anarchist
Sweden
I utterly loath this "video myself for cash" bullshit. Among other things, one feels like one has to do more and more outrageous stuff to keep the clicks coming.
Sure, I would never do it myself. Obviously there others who think this is just great way of life - we can all see some of the attraction. 

As watching - that is something completely different. Or is it not?  Possible to watch, knowing the background, still enjoying? 

Myself, I am just bored by these. Of some I can watch one episode - the first. Others, just some few minutes. 

Oh well ....

//J 

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Well, it's not just sailing.  There are hordes of these kids out there who think people will pay money to watch their slacker lives - or an over-hyped representation thereof - who don't seem to do anything in particular at all.    My last renters always had a string of "gofundme's" going that they imagined would help them through budget difficulties.  They'd make up some dreadful video about how they were somehow being victimized (baby needs meds, help us rescue this dog, help I've gotten stoned in bed and I can't get up!) and wait for the cash to roll in.  Not that it ever did. 

ARumRunner

I tend not to paint all the YouTubers with the same brush. In fact, I find it pretty easy to separate the leeches from the sailors who are genuinely nice people just sharing their adventure. CAT IMPI would be a perfect example. Having said that, they are independently wealthy so they don't need to beg!

I still watch LaVaga, reason being, they were neophytes when they started and it was a somewhat close up and personal as they developed. Unfortunately 'Lana turned out to be a drama queen with a clothes shopping budget that must suck those patreon dollars at a pace quicker than the Outremer. She best be careful, in the last vid (the 22 knot one), she was wearing a tonne of jewelry on her fingers. A big concern since she was manning the coach roof stoppers with a mess of uncoiled lines ready to grab a digit and make short work of it. And that nice new dink was bucking around like a steer waiting for it's rodeo hero. I am happy for them, its their life but I'm not sure how much longer I will tune in.

kdh

Super Anarchist
LaVag has lost its innocence, and appeal, to me. An example, I can't look at Elayna hiding her fake tits all the time.