Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

theadmiralty

Wow, some seriously bitter people on this forum...

I throw Riley and Elayna a few quid because I enjoy following their adventure and I want them to continue making sailing videos for my enjoyment.

Producing quality videos and sailing doesn't come bloody free!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia

I throw Riley and Elayna a few quid because I enjoy following their adventure and I want them to continue making sailing videos for my enjoyment.

Around CA there is a consensus among many of the veteran posters that La Vagabonde's crew presents a negative picture of the next generation of sailors: self-centred, shallow and eschewing time-honoured seamanship and values. On the other hand, Riley and Elayna have been very successful at the sailing vlog game and have parlayed that success into a new boat and a means of supporting themselves. Dylan Winter says they are among the best of the 'YouTube diarists' and gives their film making high praise. Personally I prefer the true grit of Dylan's videos. I don't think I have ever made it through an entire La Vagabonde episode. But for those of you who enjoy La Vag, maybe you are finding something I am missing or don't fancy. I don't think I am bitter about their success and doubt the others are either. Just critical of their attitude. I'm sure La Vag doesn't care what people on CA think anyway.

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
their position as market leaders is well deserved

D

I was indifferent to them as they had nothing to offer. Then someone earlier (I think in this thread) drew attention to their stealing from another sailboat…episode 18.

They came across an inverted cat – not abandoned, not a case of salvage the boat was attached to a mooring. They entered it rummaged around and made off with a number of items before they where shooed away by someone they thought was saying “it was his boat”. Rather than apologizing and returning the items they plundered they made off in the dingy.  Not only where they so self centered as to rob from an unfortunate other sailor they where clueless enough as to include it in their video.

That moved me from indifferent to definitely hostile to them.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
I think the Catamaran incident showed some naivety, they aren't life long sailors so they probably didn't know the rules. They've done some miles now mostly shorthanded too. Fuck even Rimas has more single handed miles than most of us. 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

My youtube name is Boatflix. Really!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boatflix

You've gotta send me some coin!

Perhaps the most exciting was the 2010 Sun Cat National Championship, narrated by (formerly) our own Tom Scott.

My standard rate for such work is $42.50

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Tom,

I love this film in almost every way.  It has a certain gritty reality that others can only attempt to emulate.

The shape of the piece is excellent in the way it has been impeccably structured with several intermingling and sequentially peaking  plot lines.

your voice over skills are exceptional, the steady cam is working a treat, and the wind gag is one of the best I have ever heard.

The totty is exceptional and the all round sense of adventure has seldom been matched on you tube

You richly deserve your $42.50 fee.

Dylan

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Glad you had fun, Dylan. I've enjoyed yours too.

I can't really take credit. I was sailing. It was Tom Scott shooting video and narrating. I think he captured the pace of the event well.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
well I think that the film really licked along nicely - I assume you must take some credit for the beautiful editing and post production effort that some-one clearly put into it. As a pro I can tell that an  extremely talented person must have pulled an all nighter to get it to work as well as it does.

Hearty congratulations to all involved.

D

LB 15

Cunt

Don't get us wrong as you can see we get huge enjoyment from their vids as well and don't want them to stop. We want you to keep paying so we can keep enjoying them as well.

keep up the good work Admiral. 

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Don't get us wrong as you can see we get huge enjoyment from their vids as well and don't want them to stop. We want you to keep paying so we can keep enjoying them as well.

keep up the good work Admiral. 
there is a degree of unseemly excitement about unveiling La Vag plastic busters... particularly among the non paying knocker knockers

It is entirely possible that those who have chipped in have already seen the unveiling through the special films posted for Patrons -  hence the tantalising peek-a-boo game that is currently under way with the non payers who are keen to get a glimpse of the surgeons art as applied to a wench young enough to be their grand-daughter.

I myself  allow my paypal tappers to watch me having a birdy bath in the cockpit using nothing other than a bucket of warm soapy water, a large yellow sponge, a stiff brush and an umbrella. That is what I call added value over here at KTL industries.

Incidentally - fekkin cold weather is on its way here on The English East Coast

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
13 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

...I myself  allow my paypal tappers to watch me having a birdy bath in the cockpit using nothing other than a bucket of warm soapy water, a large yellow sponge, a stiff brush and an umbrella. That is what I call added value over here at KTL industries...

Dylan I just threw up in my mouth.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
well I think that the film really licked along nicely - I assume you must take some credit for the beautiful editing and post production effort that some-one clearly put into it. As a pro I can tell that an  extremely talented person must have pulled an all nighter to get it to work as well as it does.

Hearty congratulations to all involved.

D
OK, now you're going too far. I took it to iMovie, cut out unwanted bits and added a few subtitles and transitions. The other Tom was clearly the star of the show. I'm still cracking up about dropping Spam and Pop Tarts to sustain the racers. Too bad no one wants to see his tits. I'd be rich!

IStream

Super Anarchist
I myself  allow my paypal tappers to watch me having a birdy bath in the cockpit using nothing other than a bucket of warm soapy water, a large yellow sponge, a stiff brush and an umbrella. That is what I call added value over here at KTL industries.
No bog brush?

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
OK, now you're going too far. I took it to iMovie, cut out unwanted bits and added a few subtitles and transitions. The other Tom was clearly the star of the show. I'm still cracking up about dropping Spam and Pop Tarts to sustain the racers. Too bad no one wants to see his tits. I'd be rich!
I think that your lovely film showed what a devastatingly clever tool Imovie is in the hands of a true expert. How long did it take you to turn the rushes into such a delightful film?

worth every penny of the $42.50.

D

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm no expert. I'm barely competent. And they keep changing it, making me less competent with each iteration.

I don't remember how long it took. That was seven years ago. I can tell you that it took longer to sort through, crop, enhance, and web-optimize all the photos than it took to edit the videos.

Pics:

https://www.suncatnationals.com/some-sun-cat-nationals-pictures

Hmm... and the videos seem to have disappeared from their page:

https://www.suncatnationals.com/sun-cat-nationals-videos

Wordpress is another toy with which I'm barely competent and I'm not going to go back and figure out how to re-embed those videos. They're all on my extremely lucrative Boatflix youtube page.

My favorites get uploaded to Vimeo, where the quality is better (and download times longer).

On the thread topic, I find the whole idea of people paying me for stuff I put on youtube or tropicalboating.com or on suncatnationals.com to be just plain funny. Why would anyone do that? I'm putting stuff up for my own entertainment. This is just funny to me and I'm going to put stuff like this up whether I'm paid or not.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/89400141

Jaramaz

Anarchist
Sweden
On the thread topic, I find the whole idea of people paying me for stuff I put on youtube or tropicalboating.com or on suncatnationals.com to be just plain funny. Why would anyone do that? I'm putting stuff up for my own entertainment.
Maybe so. For you. Would be the same for me.

But then, if you pay someone for something you like them to do, then they will do more of it. Maybe also strive to do it better. Others may chime in. That is also OK for those who want it, both sides. 

So I would be happy to contribute to Dylans escapades. Even if I haven't done so yet - pure laziness from my side. 

Myself I cannot be bothered with the La Vage and all the others. Not my cup of tea, simply. 

//J