Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I have a commercial theory about the the Top 5 Vlogmeisters...need to grab a beer first before I type away my intelligence.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Maybe so. For you. Would be the same for me.

But then, if you pay someone for something you like them to do, then they will do more of it. Maybe also strive to do it better. Others may chime in. That is also OK for those who want it, both sides. 

So I would be happy to contribute to Dylans escapades. Even if I haven't done so yet - pure laziness from my side. 

Myself I cannot be bothered with the La Vage and all the others. Not my cup of tea, simply. 

//J
I have enjoyed Dylan's escapades for years and contributed only a little advice.

I don't want to discourage him or anyone else from doing this kind of thing, asking for tips, paying others, almost showing boobs, or any of it.

I'd just feel weird asking for money for any of mine. "Look! I'm playing! Pay me!" Maybe if I had boobs.

If you just go by number of  video views, I think the most interesting thing I posted on youtube was removing a trailer wheel bearing. And it's a bad video from which one could learn little.

LB 15

Cunt
There lies the reality. We have jobs and businesses that we WORK in/at to pay for our sailing. These vloggers are no different from the unwashed homeless guy playing his guitar in the subway for people to throw him a few coins. They are simply begging for money so they don't have to work. But then they start making how work videos..

sculpin

Super Anarchist
The only sailing videos I've paid for have been Dylans, because to me there is value in them - and that is how the system should work.  If you find value in LaVag, "donate" to them - essentially pay them for the entertainment.  Just as finding a really good street performer is a joy, and worth contributing to the continuation of the performance.

I've made a bit of coin writing how-to articles for a boating magazine, does it cheapen my sailing?  I'm getting paid to take some pictures of something that I'm doing anyway.  Same diff...

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
There lies the reality. We have jobs and businesses that we WORK in/at to pay for our sailing. These vloggers are no different from the unwashed homeless guy playing his guitar in the subway for people to throw him a few coins. They are simply begging for money so they don't have to work. But then they start making how work videos..
True for a lot of them LB but not so for some like the Vagamites and Delos. This online stuff is a serious business and in Vags case if they fail they are still on the hook for a million dollar boat.

Vag's following as leader of this genre is a fraction of the money been made by some mainstream online "influencers" currently out there. I suspect they know that and will be tweaking their format to close the gap. We have already seen them up the production quality. Don't be surprised if they start wearing and saying weird shit (yeah I know) as they start subtly promoting various products, some which have absolutely nothing to do with sailing. Brow probably has a jewellery line in the pipeline ready for Xmas.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
This was issued about an hour ago. A video shot out the window of this plane as it went through the hurricanes eye I would pay for. Check out the pressure... 909mb..fuck. US and BVI's will be just dirt after this second hit.

Code:
Reports just received from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to 175 mph (280 km/h). The estimated minimum pressure based on
data from the aircraft is 909 mb (26.84).

LB 15

Cunt
The only sailing videos I've paid for have been Dylans, because to me there is value in them - and that is how the system should work.  If you find value in LaVag, "donate" to them - essentially pay them for the entertainment.  Just as finding a really good street performer is a joy, and worth contributing to the continuation of the performance.

I've made a bit of coin writing how-to articles for a boating magazine, does it cheapen my sailing?  I'm getting paid to take some pictures of something that I'm doing anyway.  Same diff...
No the difference is you probobly know what you are talking about. Unless the magazine you write for is called 'afloat' or 'coastal passage maker' these are two free mags here that publish any shit that people send them, but they don't pay anyone. Cruisers you meet along the Queensland coast love to claim they 'write for a few sailing magazines'. 

Bwhahahaha.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I think that for some of  the vloggers that is true..... but almost certainly never true of anyone who gets a decent number of  hits.

make shit films...  you will  be guaranteed to earn shit money.

Youtube pays $1 per thousand views... so the youtbe money, the money from knockers viewing knockers , iis tiny commpared to those who chip  for  patreon, buy the merch or increasingly those who  pay for enbedded advertising such as  prooduct placement.

My guess is that each La Vag films at 20 minutes (now twice a week) takes at least three days of editing..... To make those films they probably have $10,000 worth of cameras plus some top spec laptops , a lot of data storage and their bandwidth costs must be humongous . The life expectancy of  hard used cameras on boats is around a year to 18  months.. I assume that the La vag camera man/editor earns good money from the project. Any operation turning over  $10,000 a week is serious stuff.

the costs are massive - just parking a cat the size of a tennis court plus the costs  of running the boat,  feeding people,  insurance, paperwork etc etc.

Delos and La vag are working their buts off in the hull of  a  hot  boat while those around them in the anchorage are just swimming and drinking. .  The La vag people arrived in port in one of their vids,  wanted to  go  for  a swim  but said that they were  going  to spend  the morning working - presumably editing, dealing with comments,  uploading etc  etc.

I was selling DVDs and more than covering my costs (for a 22 footer sailing within driving distance of home). I reckon running the boat in scotland 500  miiles from home, and replacing the cameras was costing me around £6,000 a year. The 1,200 or so DVD sales a year was more than covering those costs. Then the DVD sales stopped and I was down to  the buskers cup. 

Then in January I finally ran out of  money for  the project, sold the boat and stopped filming.  Now I am like  Tom and post crud about my local river.

Tom has offered me some "robust" advice on my efforts....even left some of  his "robust" advice on my website.... which I removed.

bad comments about the vloggers and how  they hate the films and the genre is rife. People love to criticise them - even for the way they keep  their sheets and ropes.

. However, here are some awful  truths for you chaps.  The only people  the patreon vloggers care about  are those who chip  in.  All the other stuff is just noise that they have to edit out of  the comments left on youtube - as they do,.. as do  I.. . 

it always amazes me that people are so engaged with the material that they write about how crap it  is yet when the image of  the pretty girl on the foredeck comes up  they still click on it. As many say they have never watched a whole la vag episode.  I don't  think I have either.  They don't care about us - they care about are those who tap in, buy the merch etc etc. They give not a  flying fig for the moaners.

This autumn I will be posting the remaining ten films from KTL. Each will  be around 45 minutes long, will have a  proper  narrative, a good voice over, a bit of brain food, some excellent well  filmed scenery. Each film will take  me about two  weeks of hard graft at the computer to  make. Tom et al place no value on that work at all. When they watch the films all they see is  some-one sailing in a place they would rather like  to go yet never will ... that pisses them off so they attack.

I expect that each of  the last ten films will  get  around 12,000 views in its first year.  About three per cent of  the people who  wqtch the films to  the end will be fairly regular tappers.... the rest will never tap  in.

Nothing wrong with that...  this is  the web.

There have been a few comments on this thread along the lines of "I don't watch la Vag because it is crap.  I watch Dylan,s films right to the end.... but do  not pay for those either." Well chaps.... La Vag goes from strength to  strength because they are offering what the market is  prepared to  pay for while KTL is on its last ten films.

In this world you get get you you pay  for -  even if it offered to you free at the point of delivery

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
^^^ Good synopsis there Dylan. Many people don't appreciate the work/expense that goes into doing what some of these floggers and you do. It ain't recreation with a bit of GoPro..it is a fuckin serious business and with associated costs. How that "job to do" process spoils their enjoyment is not appreciated.  

PS. Dylan if you put tits in your great stuff or tell us you are going to buy a cat then get prepared for the wrath of Zeus....I will be depressed if you don't include that lighthouse tip I sent you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Tom et al place no value on that work at all. When they watch the films all they see is  some-one sailing in a place they would rather like  to go yet never will ... that pisses them off so they attack.
I really don't recall ever attacking you. For the record, you've never sailed anywhere I want to be. I like air and water to be above 80 degrees.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
^^^ Good synopsis there Dylan. Many people don't appreciate the work/expense that goes into doing what some of these floggers and you do. It ain't recreation with a bit of GoPro..it is a fuckin serious business and with associated costs. How that "job to do" process spoils their enjoyment is not appreciated.  

PS. Dylan if you put tits in your great stuff or tell us you are going to buy a cat then get prepared for the wrath of Zeus....I will be depressed if you don't include that lighthouse tip I sent you.
strangely enough I am rather attracted to one of these

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hirondelle+catamaran&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQu9a1w7PWAhWF1hoKHeKOA_EQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=766

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Oh Dylan...a  cat...are you really ready for this?

5800_CY_Legacy_Gallery_Ext.jpg

IMG_0799.JPG.c6d1270e8a39538e5d2ed877a8f1e47d.JPG

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
nope

ready for shallow sailing in places where hurricanes seldom happen

I promise you I will never get in a position where I am operating a three decker cat in places where the wind blows v hard

D

GTom

Oh Dylan...a  cat...are you really ready for this?

View attachment 245755
Ouch, I see, wifey parked the car? Apparently it fits too and easier to get in...

About time to settle the cat vs mono argument once and for all: cats are superior because if they are totaled in a hurricane, you don't need to dive to salvage the beer from the fridge. Sometimes they even come to shore...

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon75

Germany
random said:
Not at all sure that still holds.

It could be argued that you are begging people to give you money, just for a different offering.  After looking at the reactions these 'vloggers' have to public reaction to what they do, it would clearly be living-hell to rely on the responses from any lunatic on the planet, to their latest offering.  It would be like tying your income to responses on PA.

As it is here now, we can just laugh.  But they don't think the flaming, or lack of viewing they sometimes get to their product is very funni.  Fuck that for a living.
i think hell just froze over.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The power of the internet....this chick and her surfer boyfriend at the time started posting couples pictures on Instagram.

She now has 10 million followers.

She could quickly turbo charge ones flagging sailing channel and leave the Vagamites wallowing in your wake.

Latest posts