Glad I don't drink alcohol.

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
This technology, according to the bill, would be required to “passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

Look for a large number of parked vehicles with confused senior citizens in the left seat.

woodpecker

This technology, according to the bill, would be required to “passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

Look for a large number of parked vehicles with confused senior citizens in the left seat.
 “Drug-Impaired Driving Data Collection” 

Maybe it will send the GPS location to all the nearby police?

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY

That, and it seems like a new challenge for the late teen and early 20's set. Blow your BAC, then see how far you can get fooling the system.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I choose not to condemn this without seeing it - having had several extremely close calls from drunk drivers one of which would have been absolutely fatal I applaud anything that gets them off the road. If you have ever had a wrong way driver pass you on the freeway at the top of an overpass while riding your motorcycle you might be able to understand this. It's the ultimate oh shit moment.  If it stops the texting aholes as well that's a bonus.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey

So, Uncle Joe won’t be able to drive his ‘Vette, anymore?!

2766BAA6-D3E3-4EB8-A65A-1B13D04B37B9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Looks like anyone who drinks alcohol or smokes pot and gets behind the the wheel are going to have to find a new way to get around. I am sure you guys would be all in to add it to boats also.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2021/08/10/infrastructure-bill-includes-vehicle-technology-to-prevent-drunk-driving/
I read that the thought is there, but the tech will not be available for a while.  No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  The Passive system part lays this out.  It's gonna be an app or something.  It'll happen about the same time all cars have auto drive, but the $$$$$ is going to escalate the process me thinks.  ..  LOL..  

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
“passively monitor the performance of a driver [to] to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired”

That will have the collateral benefit of getting plain old shitty drivers off the road.

peragrin

Super Anarchist
This is all about appareances and politicians over estimating what tech level really is.

Sort of like New Jersey smart gun law.  Once smart gun trigger locks are functional and relaible enough to be sold as a standard configuration  then they are deemed to be mandatory for all guns.  

Except the tech is so unreliable that no one wants to trust it yet.  

The law itself will expire long before the tech is ready. And the same with this.  Driver monitoring is unreliable.   So this will be tried proven to fail just a bit to often and shelved.

Meanwhile it looks good.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
This is all about appareances and politicians over estimating what tech level really is.

Sort of like New Jersey smart gun law.  Once smart gun trigger locks are functional and relaible enough to be sold as a standard configuration  then they are deemed to be mandatory for all guns.  

Except the tech is so unreliable that no one wants to trust it yet.  

The law itself will expire long before the tech is ready. And the same with this.  Driver monitoring is unreliable.   So this will be tried proven to fail just a bit to often and shelved.

Meanwhile it looks good.
And my state just made it a crime to give me a packet of ketchup without my requesting it!  I’m so relieved that I won’t be bothered by this anymore!  I’m sure this will save thousands, if not millions of human lives.

https://ktla.com/news/california/ketchup-packets-plastic-utensils-come-with-take-out-orders-only-if-requested-under-new-california-law/

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
the down side,  is more sensors, which means more shit to break.  and more expense at the dealership to fix.

wont go into effect for half a dozen years    just buy a car  in 5 year, and run it into the grave....  and drink and drive all you want. (kidding)

Honestly i get drunk driving is a plague, but can we solve cell phone/driving issue and have them just disable cell phones when driving.  would likely save nearly as many lives.....

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
And my state just made it a crime to give me a packet of ketchup without my requesting it!  I’m so relieved that I won’t be bothered by this anymore!  I’m sure this will save thousands, if not millions of human lives.

https://ktla.com/news/california/ketchup-packets-plastic-utensils-come-with-take-out-orders-only-if-requested-under-new-california-law/
I was wondering why In and Out started to ask...  With all the other problems in the state, I am sure the legislators are really patting themselves on the back over this one..  I know, coat, hat, and down the hall to the left for PA...  See what I did there?

I read that the thought is there, but the tech will not be available for a while.  No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  The Passive system part lays this out.  It's gonna be an app or something.  It'll happen about the same time all cars have auto drive, but the $$$$$ is going to escalate the process me thinks.  ..  LOL..  
Give an hour or so and someone will have a hack and a work-a-round for it.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I was wondering why In and Out started to ask...  With all the other problems in the state, I am sure the legislators are really patting themselves on the back over this one..  I know, coat, hat, and down the hall to the left for PA...  See what I did there?

Give an hour or so and someone will have a hack and a work-a-round for it.
Hey Buddy, Blow in this bag....  LOL. Canned air will be a staple in every auto...  

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
the down side,  is more sensors, which means more shit to break.  and more expense at the dealership to fix.

wont go into effect for half a dozen years    just buy a car  in 5 year, and run it into the grave....  and drink and drive all you want. (kidding)

Honestly i get drunk driving is a plague, but can we solve cell phone/driving issue and have them just disable cell phones when driving.  would likely save nearly as many lives.....
When you have an organization like MADD, DUI takes the front seat.  Regarding using a phone, when you see the cops doing it, well.......

woodpecker

No way in hell are they going to put blow tubes in every car after x date.  
No way in hell are they ever going to make everyone take the vaccine shot, if not loose their job over it.
Brandon said so 6 month ago don't you remember?