Glasses needed for 20/30 far vision?

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I need to wear glasses to read, and hot co-eds hold the door open for me while they call me 'sir', and once or twice I've gone fishing and forgot my glasses in the car.
LOL, 52, and i tried to thread whipping twine through a massive rigging needle to do lifelines. Kid had to thread it for me.. Ugh... :)

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
LOL, 52, and i tried to thread whipping twine through a massive rigging needle to do lifelines. Kid had to thread it for me.. Ugh... :)

You'd think, out patient laser surgery, woo hoo I get my eyes back.
Then a doc, in his 20's, tells you no. NO. Might have made a comment about Doogie Howser...ofcourse he was two generations removed from getting the joke.

Ugh.

kgs113

I forgot if this month or next month marks 50 years in the industry. 25 in manufacturing eyeglasses the rest so far in retail(Optician). Going outside without sunwear won't help at all. Polarized sunglasses are ideal in the sun. when on the water and driving.
My distance vision used to be exceptional. I could see a .50 cal hole on a target 100 yards away. 35-45 years old we start to need some help up close. The part of your eye(crystalline lens) becomes less flexible with age. Your prescription typically changes a little every year for about 10 years then gets pretty stable.
When I started needing some help up close my distance vision changed as well. Not unusual. Now I think I can see in the general direction of the target without correction.
First get an eye exam. That will establish a record as far as to what's going on. With some people over the counter readers can be just the ticket. Others may need vastly different eyecare. The online places serve a purpose. I would not rely on them for things like progressive lenses. Single vision lenses generally not a problem.
Measurement, lens design, material and treatments all come into play when deciding to get glasses to correct for far and near.
Ask your eye Dr who he would send his/her mother for eyeglasses. You are in a 2 door state so the Optometrist is more independent from the retail sales.
Typically people that don't have much correction are a bit fussier with their correction because they already see pretty well. The high definition lenses actually can be a good option because the method of manufacture has a higher degree of precision than conventional lens designs.
I think that antiglare treatments are one of the best options to get with glasses. Eliminates starbursts and halos aroung headlights and traffic lights. Looks good too. (always clean lenses wet.)
The eyecare industry is a service industry. You can go many places for dinner or eyeglasses. How well you're taken care of determines if you will return.

kgs113

I typically avoid Lens Crafters, but some reason that I can't recall, I tried to have them make prescription Maui Jims for me. The on site "expert" could not translate my prescription correctly and ended up delivering lenses that were unusable. She kept insisting that that glasses matched her translation of my prescription. In a rare attempt at patience, I repeatedly suggested that those 2 things may match, but they don't match the prescription. Per your experience, I was semi-politely called an idiot. I finally suggested they use their machine to compare my regular glasses to the Maui Jims. At that point, I was finally offered a refund and I took my business elsewhere.
Did the frames have some face form(wrap)? do you have a stronger prescription? +-2.50 and/or astigmatism? All of those can come into play with the success of sunglass

Last edited:

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Eye dr in fleet, he swears by maui Jims.. Have had 2 prs, excellent cust serv and they are frigging great.. 100X better cust serv than the costa fucks after they were bought out... Might me your doc...
It wasn't the Maui Jims, it was how they translated the prescription to whatever system they used there. i watched the "expert" compute what the values would be in whatever system they used. Said expert then insisted it was done correctly even though their machine showed my regular glasses made from the same prescription had different values. I took the same prescription to another eye place. They ordered the right lenses and I've been wearing those Maui Jims for 8 years.

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Did the frames have some face form(wrap)? do you have a stronger prescription? +-2.50 and/or astigmatism? All of those can come into play with the success of sunglass success
I don't think it was a unique prescription, but don't know enough. Here's what I brought to them.

Screenshot 2022-06-17 2.51.37 AM.png

kgs113

Did they put single vision lenses or progressive lenses in? Your prescription isn't complicated but it should be compensated for distance rx. Adding in a reading correction can complicate things a bit. Was the vision good straight ahead but wonky 15-20 degrees away from straight ahead?
When I was in manufacturing I had exclusive rights to a wrap shield similar to the Oakleys. The amount of tilt in the shields was enough to shift the prescription. I wrote a computer program that solved the induced error problem a year before Oakley "improved" their prescription fabrication techniques. The fabrication technology available now is far beyond what I had available.
All that being said the optician should know better than to treat you that way. See service industry comment above.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
A neighbor stopped by the other day. Our conversation turned to glasses when I started looking around for my cheaters to see pics on his phone.

He told us he had lens replacement surgery about two years ago (he's in his late 60s) and hasn't regretted it a bit. He talked about the shock of seeing things crystal clear, as the surgery removed the film that builds on the eye over time. He mentioned how he and his wife threw away over 30 reading glasses "staged" throughout their two homes. He also mentioned having additional surgery on one eye to remove the astigmatism.

The more he talked, the better it sounded as my eyes are in serious need of help.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
A neighbor stopped by the other day. Our conversation turned to glasses when I started looking around for my cheaters to see pics on his phone.

He told us he had lens replacement surgery about two years ago (he's in his late 60s) and hasn't regretted it a bit. He talked about the shock of seeing things crystal clear, as the surgery removed the film that builds on the eye over time. He mentioned how he and his wife threw away over 30 reading glasses "staged" throughout their two homes. He also mentioned having additional surgery on one eye to remove the astigmatism.

The more he talked, the better it sounded as my eyes are in serious need of help.

Just do it, Jules!! Missus BB had both new lenses installed when she had some cataracts. One of them became "dirty" after a year or so, and a few minutes with a laser cleaned it up like you wash your windscreen. You won't regret it!!

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Ok finally ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from zenni. Will see how it goes. Oakley has a great site and good sapphire lenses, photochromatic, progressive etc. Add 400usd. Over 500 out the door. Could not get access to the bolle rx site but will try through my optometrist. Maui Jim’s I need to go to a dealer for prescription lenses As with Serengeti. You can spec the oakleys on the site and order them.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Anarchist
New Zealand
I have Zeiss script polarised lenses in Oakley frames finally after a couple of years of struggling . Fuckin amazing they are for far vision only but still fine for reading instruments etc but not reading . Have seperate progressive glasses for down below also Zeiss lenses . Cost a left nut but far far superior clarity to cheapo lenses from franchise opto shops

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
I have Zeiss script polarised lenses in Oakley frames finally after a couple of years of struggling . Fuckin amazing they are for far vision only but still fine for reading instruments etc but not reading . Have seperate progressive glasses for down below also Zeiss lenses . Cost a left nut but far far superior clarity to cheapo lenses from franchise opto shops
I will likely end up there. My prescription readers for years and numerous magnifications have been optical glass. No comparison with plastic. Same with the ray bans and Serengeti glass sunglasses.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I will likely end up there. My prescription readers for years and numerous magnifications have been optical glass. No comparison with plastic. Same with the ray bans and Serengeti glass sunglasses.

I have heard that some sailors prefer Maui Jim, as the best sunglasses for racing sailors to suss out the wind on the waves, any users here??

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I have heard that some sailors prefer Maui Jim, as the best sunglasses for racing sailors to suss out the wind on the waves, any users here??

I preferred Maui Jim for sailing. Working outside and on the fire line at the FD it was Oakley. Of course we got a BIG price break from the company so that made them attractive. Also, they stayed on during physical activity best. When I was lifeguarding I preferred Ray Ban as did almost all the other guards. It was almost required uniform! Problem was I lost/damaged more than one pair tossing them before a rescue or sitting on them in the jeep. Of course the fact we got a BIG price break……….

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I'm 64 and my near vision has slowly been getting worse. I used to wear 1.5 or 2.0 readers. I got an exam and found only one eye was really going south. Prescription readers have helped tremendously.
If one eye is worse, magnifiers can ruin the good eye.

Luckily my distance vision is still good but in a dark room focusing on things is not what it used to be.

I had no far-sighted vision for most of my early life. Wore contacts until about 10yrs ago when I noticed my far vision was better without them. No longer have the Corrected Lenses restriction on my DL. No such thing as a free lunch and my near vision went to shit at the same a time. The cheaters I use give me a headache so they are used rarely to read fine print. Great comments on this thread and a I'm off to get 'real' glasses on Friday.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
I have heard that some sailors prefer Maui Jim, as the best sunglasses for racing sailors to suss out the wind on the waves, any users here??​
It's not the frames; it's the lenses. Frames should be comfortable. Well, I guess it's the frames if you can wear wraps. But that's hard to do with a prescription; it can be done, as Johnny Cash would say, with a little bit of help from an a-daptor kit. You can of course also wear contacts and wraps.

Polarized lenses have the advantage of cutting the glare and reading puffs on the water. The downside is not being able to read some LCD instruments. They're good as drivers as well. I bought a pair of Ray Ban RB 2447 demos off EBay for $55 and had single vision polarized Trivex put in them for another $150. Buying online means you have to understand lens materials, sizing, pupil distance, .... Then I also have a $5 pair of Chums to keep them out of the water.

1655959043386.png

Last edited: