Global Solo Challenge?

furler49

Worldwide
This event scares the crap out of me. I see the wording has changed from challenge to race in almost all areas outside the name... Are you now bound by Category 0 or anything for that matter? Who is the race director? Who's coming to get you when the going gets tough? Which world sailing governing body is this backed by? Where is the event insurance? My guess is you'll cross the start and then you're on your own.

Remember the shit show of the Golden Globe Race the first time out? This appears to be the sequel and this for me seems a whole lot scarier.

FYI, it's not you I'm scared for @ronnie_simpson I'm sure you'll smash it!

This event scares the crap out of me. I see the wording has changed from challenge to race in almost all areas outside the name... Are you now bound by Category 0 or anything for that matter? Who is the race director? Who's coming to get you when the going gets tough? Which world sailing governing body is this backed by? Where is the event insurance? My guess is you'll cross the start and then you're on your own.

Remember the shit show of the Golden Globe Race the first time out? This appears to be the sequel and this for me seems a whole lot scarier.

FYI, it's not you I'm scared for @ronnie_simpson I'm sure you'll smash it!
The GSC was always meant to be a race. People like me wouldn't have signed up for this event if it were just a rally. The allure of trying to finish in the hardware in a budget-conscious Vendée Globe style race has a ton of appeal to a guy like me.

The race has published their extesnive rule book, mostly centered around safety, on their website for quite some time. If you are curious about any of these requirements, you should go to the race site and check them out for yourself. As for the director of the race, it's a guy named Marco Nannini, who himself raced a Class 40 around the world about a decade ago.

I think you may find yourself impressed when you see 30-odd boats racing down the Atlantic and into the Southern Ocean. Should be a neat event, I am stoked to be a part of it. I have some pretty big European sponsors now, and they are all super stoked on the GSC and beginning to attach a lot of importance to it.

The Italian skipper Andrea Mura traiing on his Open 50. He is not officially registered yet, but should be entering soon.

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 6.13.12 AM.jpeg

furler49

Worldwide
The GSC was always meant to be a race. People like me wouldn't have signed up for this event if it were just a rally. The allure of trying to finish in the hardware in a budget-conscious Vendée Globe style race has a ton of appeal to a guy like me.

The race has published their extesnive rule book, mostly centered around safety, on their website for quite some time. If you are curious about any of these requirements, you should go to the race site and check them out for yourself. As for the director of the race, it's a guy named Marco Nannini, who himself raced a Class 40 around the world about a decade ago.

I think you may find yourself impressed when you see 30-odd boats racing down the Atlantic and into the Southern Ocean. Should be a neat event, I am stoked to be a part of it. I have some pretty big European sponsors now, and they are all super stoked on the GSC and beginning to attach a lot of importance to it.

Thanks for your answer, and awesome to hear you've got some big European sponsors onboard. Genuinely looking forward to following it and I agree 30 odd boats racing down the Atlantic will be cool but the rules you reference are in fact recommendations. And it's awesome that the Race Director has raced RTW on a Class40 but has he ever had to pick someone up or orchestrate a multiagency rescue?

The notice of race is in fact a Notice of Event. By being an event/rally you're not, as an organiser, bound to the same safety requirements as the Vendee Globe for example. The race director should be careful not to confuse the two.

I'm not saying this isn't cool, I'm stoked to see it but my questions remain.

A couple of very cool Open 50's have just popped up on the market if anyone is keen to scoop up a good boat and enter the GSC!

I don't know what they are asking for Pegasus, but the Finot Conq boat on the bottom of the two links is under $200k USD and is already lying on the east coast of the USA. If you go to the links I posted and then go to the bottom and make an inquiry, then Marco will get back to you.