Golf Cart Anarchy:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm going to wait until Monday and see what the engineers at the factory think about the regen braking thing before I try hooking up the new battery.
I got kind of a vague answer on that one. Some flow back to the battery would be OK, too much would shut it down. They didn't say how much would be too much, not that it would help because I have no idea how much current it pushes back to the battery.

So without a clear answer on whether my cart draws too much power for this battery or whether its braking will shut the battery down, I decided to get the answers the direct way.

LBP48Installed.jpg

And the answers are:

1. The 12 volt step-down thing doesn't seem to mind 58 volts, which is the resting voltage of that 48 volt battery.

2. Nor does the cart controller when I turn on the key.

3. It backs up! Yay! Goes forward too. Touching the brakes to activate regen braking doesn't shut it down.

4. Burns a little rubber and accelerates much faster than before with a full power start.

5. Goes at least as fast as before, probably a bit faster, so still way too fast.

6. Slowing from "way too fast" with regen braking doesn't bother it.

7. It will tow this through sand that's soft but not deep.

TomBugLBPInstalled.jpg

So the only remaining question is which of my little boats will it pull up a ramp. My guess is at least one, maybe all.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
They have become the rage in our area, especially at the beach...

Had to laugh my ass off one day when I saw the local PD giving a driver a SFST...  yeah fuck nuts, you can get a DUI driving one of these too. 
Ebikes.....  Seriously looking into into this...  Down here (Golf retirement community)the convenience store is a couple miles away.  10 mins ebike.  After a couple brewskis, ebike will be epic for mid game beverage appropriation...   

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Ebikes.....  Seriously looking into into this...  Down here (Golf retirement community)the convenience store is a couple miles away.  10 mins ebike.  After a couple brewskis, ebike will be epic for mid game beverage appropriation...   
Sorry Shaggy, you can get a DUI on a pedal bike.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Sorry Shaggy, you can get a DUI on a pedal bike.
Yes, You can get one on a skateboard, but if you are not being an idiot, an ebike is better than advertising yourself in your souped up golf cart to go to the frigging convenient store.. Trust me, the over 70 crowd down here all have the $$ for the toys and they have them, think a BMW next to tom's tom's Tractor, Just substitute golf clubs for the GUNZ... and dune buggies like big ass razors etc, Lots o them, never see the dirt though, just sit in the garage as the 2nd car.  Not going for the moral argument, just going for the what we can get away with argument. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Finally got around to doing the trailer test. The cart wouldn't even pull this trailer up the ramp empty. Trying didn't shut down the battery pack but it also didn't climb the ramp. Had to tow it back up with my brother's cart.

I still think the controller might be adjusted to make trailering possible but for now I'll just use my car.

TomBugTrlrTest.jpg

chester

Super Anarchist
Finally got around to doing the trailer test. The cart wouldn't even pull this trailer up the ramp empty. Trying didn't shut down the battery pack but it also didn't climb the ramp. Had to tow it back up with my brother's cart.

I still think the controller might be adjusted to make trailering possible but for now I'll just use my car.

TomBugTrlrTest.jpg
huh. that seems wierd to me...if it will yank that steel trailer around through sand how can that little aluminum boat/trailer on basic ramp overwhelm it?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
huh. that seems wierd to me...if it will yank that steel trailer around through sand how can that little aluminum boat/trailer on basic ramp overwhelm it?
I don't know. I had the boat in the water. It still wouldn't do it. The tide was low enough that the whole cart was on the incline. Just wouldn't quite do it.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I just got around to finding replacement batteries for my Club car. Most places want +-$1200 for 48v set up with cables.
I found a guy who'll set me up for $800.
It's still a lot for an old cart, with iffy suspension, but it beats walking the 20 acres, or firing up the diesel tractor just to check out something at the far end....
I'll probably bite the bullet and do it. He also has used batteries for $400, but only warranteed for 1 month.... It's tempting, but.....

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I think I now know the answer. It was getting weaker and I had not yet noticed it during that test. Now it's very noticeable.

The problem, I'm told, is something attached to the accelerator pedal called a Pot-Box. They quit using them in 2001 a bit after my cart was manufactured. No one makes or supports them any more.

There's something called an MCOR4 conversion kit that is supposed to replace old Pot Boxes for $300.

There's also something called a PB6 that it might or might not be possible to modify into a replacement.

I took it to the local shop. Their reaction was that conversion kits are hard to come by and after you finally get one, major disassembly is required to do the necessary cutting and drilling of the frame to install it. They said the last time they tried, the labor portion of the bill came to $1,000 and the customer wasn't happy. They refused to work on my cart.

I asked if anyone else might and they named a shop an hour away that might be crazy enough to get involved.

So, I'm going to disassemble it and learn to do whatever it was they did for a thousand bucks for the previous customer.

chester

Super Anarchist
I think I now know the answer. It was getting weaker and I had not yet noticed it during that test. Now it's very noticeable.

The problem, I'm told, is something attached to the accelerator pedal called a Pot-Box. They quit using them in 2001 a bit after my cart was manufactured. No one makes or supports them any more.

There's something called an MCOR4 conversion kit that is supposed to replace old Pot Boxes for $300.

There's also something called a PB6 that it might or might not be possible to modify into a replacement.

I took it to the local shop. Their reaction was that conversion kits are hard to come by and after you finally get one, major disassembly is required to do the necessary cutting and drilling of the frame to install it. They said the last time they tried, the labor portion of the bill came to $1,000 and the customer wasn't happy. They refused to work on my cart.

I asked if anyone else might and they named a shop an hour away that might be crazy enough to get involved.

So, I'm going to disassemble it and learn to do whatever it was they did for a thousand bucks for the previous customer.
suckage, sorry man.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I tried disassembling the problem parts but learned that they corrode together and I would likely break something.

I got sent away by most every cart shop in the area before trying the one originally suggested to me. All the others couldn't get rid of me fast enough when they learned about the performance mods. The one an hour away is a dealer for those kinds of mods and thought my cart pretty unremarkable and easily fixable. So I brought it to them.

Life without a cart sux and involves too much walking so I bought another, intending to re-sell it once the shop gets done with mine. We've had what dog people call a "foster fail" there and so this is now my wife's new cart:

SonBuggy2022.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
4. Burns a little rubber and accelerates much faster than before with a full power start.
I now believe that the "pot box" problem existed when I bought the cart and has been slowly getting worse ever since. I just didn't notice until it got really bad.

Got it back from the shop yesterday and it takes off like never before. I got them to reprogram it to go 12 mph in GOLF mode and 20 mph in STREET mode and hide the switch. They also cranked up the torque. I didn't really understand what the guy was trying to tell me about the controller's torque adjustment. That's OK, I don't even have the computer that talks to the controller and don't have to understand it. I just have to take it to him, now that I know where he is.

It almost fits on my trailer...

TomBugTrlrd.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
have you pulled the skiff out with it yet?
I tried the little one pictured above this morning. Left a bunch of rubber on the ramp. Didn't feel like I had a load back there. So I went for the bigger skiff.

TomBugGrumRamp.jpg

About the same result. I'm pretty sure I could pull it out after filling it with water. I had to go easy on the accelerator pedal to avoid leaving more of my tires on the concrete. The lack of power problem is completely solved. It has a bit of a lack of traction problem.

Hard to tell from the pic, but the front wheels are almost on level ground. Impossible to tell, but the trailer tires are still on concrete. So it remains to be seen what happens when the tide is a lot further down, the cart is down on the slippery hill, and the trailer tires are in mud.

amethbrilliant

Those small golf cars are adorable. I don’t play golf on a regular basis, but I would love to have a car like this around the house. It’s handy for household chores and other activities that require you to have a small car.
I would choose an electrical one not to bother about having the gasoline for it. Is it possible to buy a used one from a golf club like Green Valley Ccofri? I think it should be fine if they use it carefully and it should be significantly cheaper than a new one.
What do you think about used golf cars? Are they good for anything or not?