Golf Cart Battery source

Tomfl

When I bought my Seawind in 2012 it had four West Marine rebranded Trojan six volt golf cart batteries that I was gonna replace as soon as they went bad.  Well after ten years of service (both to me and the PO) they have finally bitten the dust so I need some replacements.

I am having a little trouble sourcing Trojans but have found some Duracell batteries that I can pick up next week locally if I order by tomorrow.   But now the questions.  First off the old batteries were 210 AH but the Duracell ones range from 215 AH to 255AH with prices from $US145 to $US200 depending on increased AH.  While I am usually in favor of 'gimme more' I am wondering if the extra cost is justified by the extra AHs.

I am not wedded to a Duracell and have no problem getting things online since the boat is now in a slip on shore power.  I would like to stick with flooded batteries since it would just be plug and play while AGMs or LiPos would probably mean changes in controllers from the solar array.  I don't pretend to know what I am talking about so any advice is welcome.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
The T-105 6v is probably the best bang for the buck and pretty foolproof. You can sometimes find them at Sam's Club or Costco or just go here and click on the 'where to buy' button. They are headquartered in Tampa but have an outlet in Ft ************.

https://www.trojanbatterysales.com/product/2111/

image.png

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
When I bought my Seawind in 2012 it had four West Marine rebranded Trojan six volt golf cart batteries that I was gonna replace as soon as they went bad.  Well after ten years of service (both to me and the PO) they have finally bitten the dust so I need some replacements.

I am having a little trouble sourcing Trojans but have found some Duracell batteries that I can pick up next week locally if I order by tomorrow.   But now the questions.  First off the old batteries were 210 AH but the Duracell ones range from 215 AH to 255AH with prices from $US145 to $US200 depending on increased AH.  While I am usually in favor of 'gimme more' I am wondering if the extra cost is justified by the extra AHs.

I am not wedded to a Duracell and have no problem getting things online since the boat is now in a slip on shore power.  I would like to stick with flooded batteries since it would just be plug and play while AGMs or LiPos would probably mean changes in controllers from the solar array.  I don't pretend to know what I am talking about so any advice is welcome.

Crown battery has a good reputation 

Golf-and-EV-Batteries.pdf

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I've used 4 different name brands of GC6 batteries and all were similar. Did not know Duracell was making/reselling under their name. Compare weights of the brands. Be suspicious of one with higher amp hours./lb. They should be similar, within 10%

nota

Anarchist
 the local city allow street carts on back roads without tags or full status

trojan has a good rep for a long time

Duracell is the newer name with out the time to judge [good for flash/lite dry cells ?]

cart guys are starting to play with el car battery packs

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
There is no place for LiPos on boats.....  super dangerous.   I think you meant lithium in general.     Please do yourself a favor and look at the Firefly Carbon Foam batteries.    They can be discharged much deeper than any flooded so you can have less total bank capacity but still have more useable amps.   Useable amps is the end target.    Or go the next step to LFP batteries and reduce the weight of your bank by 70% for the same useable capacity.     Quality solar controllers are like $120.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
There is no place for LiPos on boats.....  super dangerous.   I think you meant lithium in general.     Please do yourself a favor and look at the Firefly Carbon Foam batteries.    They can be discharged much deeper than any flooded so you can have less total bank capacity but still have more useable amps.   Useable amps is the end target.    Or go the next step to LFP batteries and reduce the weight of your bank by 70% for the same useable capacity.     Quality solar controllers are like $120.
The issue with firefly is the limited battery size options

unfortunate  

Tomfl

Guess it is time for me to adjust to the new reality.  I just spoke to the peeps at Batteries Plus where I had sourced the Duracell batteries.  Turns out the warehouse does not have them in stock and the soonest to expect them is in three weeks, maybe but not for sure.  I spoke to a fellow sailor who bought them late last year for $US89 plus a $US20 core charge.  So for close to 150 plus a now 27 dollar core charge I can get them a month after I started looking, maybe but not for sure.

However I can get some Trojan 105 six volt batteries for $US229 and the core charge and be here tomorrow.  I have also checked other sources and can drive for a few hours for a lower price but of course will have to pay for the trip and not really save time or that much money.  Not trying to bring politics into this as much as pointing out the supply chain issues and inflation seem to be a real consideration in refitting my boat. 

As an aside my boat is docked at a sea food house and since stone crab season just started I got some stone crab claws as a treat.  Last year they were fifteen dollars a pound and that is what I paid but only because I know the owner of the sea food house.  Regular price from now on is twenty dollars a pound and the owner got a phone call as I was leaving selling out his entire inventory for the new price.  

stonecrab.jpg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Guess it is time for me to adjust to the new reality.  I just spoke to the peeps at Batteries Plus where I had sourced the Duracell batteries.  Turns out the warehouse does not have them in stock and the soonest to expect them is in three weeks, maybe but not for sure.  I spoke to a fellow sailor who bought them late last year for $US89 plus a $US20 core charge.  So for close to 150 plus a now 27 dollar core charge I can get them a month after I started looking, maybe but not for sure.

However I can get some Trojan 105 six volt batteries for $US229 and the core charge and be here tomorrow.  I have also checked other sources and can drive for a few hours for a lower price but of course will have to pay for the trip and not really save time or that much money.  Not trying to bring politics into this as much as pointing out the supply chain issues and inflation seem to be a real consideration in refitting my boat. 

As an aside my boat is docked at a sea food house and since stone crab season just started I got some stone crab claws as a treat.  Last year they were fifteen dollars a pound and that is what I paid but only because I know the owner of the sea food house.  Regular price from now on is twenty dollars a pound and the owner got a phone call as I was leaving selling out his entire inventory for the new price.  

View attachment 470161
Yes

i work in the marine industry 

supply is an issue 

equipment that I would normally have by the end of the week is now end of the month 

good idea to reduce your expectations or  try again in the early spring

Tomfl

Yes

i work in the marine industry 

supply is an issue 

equipment that I would normally have by the end of the week is now end of the month 

good idea to reduce your expectations or  try again in the early spring
Picked up the batteries today.  I was impressed with the service at Batteries Plus.  As I left the store on a typical Friday afternoon traffic jam it start to sprinkle and did so most of the trip home.  Probably wait till after the weekend to pull the old batteries and install the new ones due to the weather.  Not looking forward to getting on my hands and knees to pull the old ones out and put the new ones in but I do have a set of carpet layers knee pads to help.

seawindbattery compartment.jpg

Tomfl

Well the new 105s are hooked up.  Need to charge them up till floating and then relink to the charger.  Taking longer to do that than I thought and it is cold and rainy so I am ready to get back on dirt in my nice warm condo and get in bed and turn on the electric blanket.  Guess I am turning into a pussy.

seawindhousebank000.jpg

Startracker

Van Isl.
For next time, Interstate batteries are good quality.  Interstate has a policy where dealers have their stock rotated approx every 6Mo, the returned batts are charged at their warehouse and inspected, then sent out 1 more time, after that they come back and are sold at a discount from the warehouse directly. They stock GC2s.