good grip gloves

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
hi everybody,

I was just wondering, I am relatively new to yacht racing (I sail on a Swan 53 and a cs42) and looking for some gloves with good grip. On the 53 I was at the grinding post so the need for gloves wasn't there, but on the 42 i moved to the mast. I have the musto gloves and have also tried Gill gloves.

though the gills have better grip, i still think there is something out there that has loads of grip.

thanks in advance for your help.

mezaire

Super Anarchist
Tasmania
The Ronstan Sticky Race have a heap of grip but working the mast on a 42 footer they will last you a couple of races, maybe :eek:

I wear the Gill Pro Gloves with 3 full fingers and they have so far lasted me 18 months. I find they have plenty of grip and they don't burn through when a sheet/halyard gets smoked through your hands.

By the way I trim on a T980 (aswell as a bit on other boats) so a fair bit of time playing the assy with 8mm spectra.

Mez

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
thanks for the info mezaire! I'll go and see if i can find (and try) the gill pro's somewhere.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
buy the Atlas garden gloves. May only last a regatta - but for $4 who cares?

They're the cotton gloves with a vinyl coating.

USA190520

Super Anarchist
hi everybody,
I was just wondering, I am relatively new to yacht racing (I sail on a Swan 53 and a cs42) and looking for some gloves with good grip. On the 53 I was at the grinding post so the need for gloves wasn't there, but on the 42 i moved to the mast. I have the musto gloves and have also tried Gill gloves.

though the gills have better grip, i still think there is something out there that has loads of grip.

thanks in advance for your help.

gill PRO gloves, great grip, great durability... Ive had em all, these are my personal all time favorites.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d309000/e308226.asp

I second the "garden gloves". Not great if you're in a position like pit or offside trimmer where you may have to smoke a line through your hands but perfect if your pulling kites up and down at the mast.

ATS310 or 370...do it, do it...

Atlas Gloves at APS

abc123

(SoCal)
I second the "garden gloves". Not great if you're in a position like pit or offside trimmer where you may have to smoke a line through your hands but perfect if your pulling kites up and down at the mast.
ATS310 or 370...do it, do it...

Atlas Gloves at APS

Agree with the 310 "style"...

I got mine at OSH for $3 a pair.....bought 5 pairs! they last for for a couple of regattas then ya just pitch 'em!

no tears over lost gloves either!

BY THE WAY....they work GREAT! Very 'grippy'. ;)

DMarod

Super Anarchist
Ballard, WA
buy the Atlas garden gloves. May only last a regatta - but for $4 who cares?
They're the cotton gloves with a vinyl coating.

Just wore these for the first time (I have musto, gill, harken etc.) and they were AWESOME I was warm and felt like freakin spider man they were so sticky and comfortable. I will never wear another glove!!!! Mine were cotton worked gloves "dipped" so the top of the hand was still cotton. $4.00

ste27

I like the Ronstan Sticky Race gloves, short and full finger. I don't smoke many halyards though and I've heard (and read again above) that's a weakness for them. Black magics seem pretty popular around here but I don't have any personal experience with them

miahmouse

Super Anarchist
for trimming, hoisting and gathering sails... the atlas gloves kick ass. for controlling the douse on the halyard, they suck... they'll burn through in half a second...

Where to get them: Most safety supply stores carry em, I think I got a pack of 10 or 12 for $20

eh, they're ok. I usually buy whichever is in stock in the long finger variety at the worst marine. In the dinks i use gardening gloves without exception, but not the normal Atlas gloves as they are too thick. I use the thinner ones, they are more a sticky sock with fingers, very light and close fitting. One thing to keep in mind with the atlas's et-al is that it can be very hard to let it slide out in a controlled manner, much easier to do hand over hand, but IMO, that is slow. So for pit/spin trim, i tend to use the more convential gloves. For mast, go for it! just make sure they arent too big or it can be hard to get them to find the line...

DMarod

Super Anarchist
Ballard, WA
These are $6.00 at West Marine. Work Awesome too!!!!

9536798s.jpg

mkoma001

palmflex.com has atlas gloves in bulk for cheap. I got the 370 style the thin nitril dipped ones and i have used a pair for a whole semester of college sailing.

I think I got a dozen for $30 with shipping. So they are cheaper then a pair of BM or ronstan.

The black magics I like a lot for trimming the chute, but i always wear threw the suewed on the top of mt thumbs in like 2 regattas.

Has anyone seen/used these? They were $6.00 at Menard's! I think they look like OK gloves for six bucks. MVC_001F.JPG