Got an opinion? Let’s hear it - boatdesign.net is utterly worthless

Temptation

Cruising
You asked for it.

Read any thread there and within 3 responses the forum trolls will descend like the vultures they are with their holier than thou NA horseshit. The moderator is most likely AdFoc, possibly the most obnoxious troll ever seen on any forum, and the purpose of this hate site is to funnel all boat builders to one of the engineers listed in their directory, while making money from running ads from sponsors.

A typical example:

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/mast-compression-post-question.53111/page-2

AdTroll said: 

Naval Architects/Engineers, don't anticipate. We calculate.

If the post was not stiff/strong enough do you still think it would be there??

Can you see me down here from your high horse?

We all know it's all based on approximations. I do not believe that you can even accurately estimate the range of dynamic loading a mast can experience

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/mast-compression-post-question.53111/

The entire regulatory framework for boat engineering rests on safety factors reverse engineered from "successful" designs (as determined by the various bodies) and NOT on first principals with FEA analysis - a fact that the trolls refuse to conceede

ISO has the gall to charge hundreds of Euros per document, many are needed, while ABS freely distributes them. even the simplest calculations become a gordian knot of nonsense with no explanation as to why these values are used:

Freeboard Length (Lf) (2018)
Lf is the distance in meters (feet) on a waterline at 85% of the least molded depth measured from the top of the keel from the fore side of the stem to the centerline of the rudder stock or 96% of the length on that waterline, whichever is greater. Where the stem is a fair concave curve above the waterline at 85% of the least molded depth and where the aftermost point of the stem is above the waterline, the forward end of the length, Lf, is to be taken at the aftermost point of the stem above that waterline. See 3-1-1/Figure 1.
In ships designed with a raked keel, the waterline on which this length is measured is to be parallel to the designed waterline.

Huh?

and all this applies to "0.4L amidships" which means what exactly? .4L for and aft from midships?  or .4L with amidships in the middle ie .2L behind midships and .2L in front?  

Top of the keel (where in sam hell is that?)... stem is a fair concave curve (and if its convex?) .... aftermost point of the stem (that would be stern?) ... forward end of the length   .....  Molded depth... Pfff

I venture to guess that NA school, whatever or wherever that is, has about as much to do with engineering from first principals as Donald duck has to do with aquatic foul.  An engineer could be forgiven for thinking that this body of knowledge boils down to the study of regs. That is where boatdesign.crap comes in. Every answer is "consult an NA". (and pay 20% of the boat value for the privilege of having simple equations understood.

and that concludes my OPINION.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
There is nothing that I know of like sailing anarchy.

Every experience I've had with other sites/forums has been a disappointment.

From moderators controlling their own private fiefdom to contributors being condescending and unwelcoming.

Fuck those cunts!

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

I venture to guess that NA school, whatever or wherever that is, has about as much to do with engineering from first principals as Donald duck has to do with aquatic foul.  ....
So, ignorance puts you in the properly located seat of judgement?

Why don't you ask what the Naval Architects study, if you want to know? If you ask for a specific problem to be solved, or even get a range of possible solutions, it's not out of bounds IMHO to ask how those answers were derived.

I'm not that familiar with FEA but Euler is only a slight mystery to me. I have not particiapted in boatdesign.net for a few years but last time I did, I thought it was OK. Maybe it's changed a lot, or maybe you need to clean the shit out of your ears if you don't like what you hear.

- DSK

Temptation

Cruising
So, ignorance puts you in the properly located seat of judgement?

Why don't you ask what the Naval Architects study, if you want to know? If you ask for a specific problem to be solved, or even get a range of possible solutions, it's not out of bounds IMHO to ask how those answers were derived.

I'm not that familiar with FEA but Euler is only a slight mystery to me. I have not particiapted in boatdesign.net for a few years but last time I did, I thought it was OK. Maybe it's changed a lot, or maybe you need to clean the shit out of your ears if you don't like what you hear.

- DSK
Did you read the thread i posted? It speaks for itself.

Are there any members here that build steel boats and know how to engineer them?

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
C’mon. 
Traditions are traditions

669085A1-1B8D-4D8B-9575-FA73EE6205D2.jpeg

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
I venture to guess that NA school, whatever or wherever that is, has about as much to do with engineering from first principals as Donald duck has to do with aquatic foul. 
The largest NA school in the US is the Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, part of the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan - one of the top engineering schools in the US.