....got stung by the 'WASZP'?..OD foiler...

johnfreame

When people say they're surprised the laser foiling kit hasn't taken off, have any of those people sailed with it?

Also, does anyone know how many have sold?

Peraonally I can completely understand why it wouldn't sell but I haven't sailed it and dont know if he sold any.

No doubt many people will buy wazps thinking it's a beginner moth, fail a lot...and then there will be plenty of cheap ones around!

We run loads of sessions trying to help newbie mothies learn in the UK. Most of them haven't got the capacity to learn or the desire to push through the hard bits, and we don't have time to invest coaching.

Sailing schools teaching foiling skillz will help convert the masses but that is a BAD business to get into

johnfreame

When people say they're surprised the laser foiling kit hasn't taken off, have any of those people sailed with it?

Peraonally I can completely understand why it wouldn't sell but I haven't sailed it and dont know if he sold any.

No doubt many people will buy wazps thinking it's a beginner moth, fail a lot...and then there will be plenty of cheap ones around!

We run loads of sessions trying to help newbie mothies learn in the UK. Most of them haven't got the capacity to learn or the desire to push through the hard bits, and we don't have time to invest coaching.

Sailing schools teaching foiling skillz will help convert the masses but that is a BAD business to get into

johnfreame

GSJ

There was a foiling laser on the beach at Sorrento, some pointed and laughed but most people ignored it. I do wonder if the wasp may suffer the same fate after all if you can afford a new one you can probably afford a 2nd hand m2. Hopefully I'm wrong and they sell heaps

Clipper

Anarchist
There was a foiling laser on the beach at Sorrento, some pointed and laughed but most people ignored it. I do wonder if the wasp may suffer the same fate after all if you can afford a new one you can probably afford a 2nd hand m2. Hopefully I'm wrong and they sell heaps
The OD aspect of it appeals to me, the constant development of the moth would be expensive to keep up with.

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
The Waszp is promosed to be priced less than a new Laser plus a Glidefree Foil kit. While both sets of foils are aluminium, I think the Waszp foils will look and function more like modern moth foils. The Waszp will also be half the weight, and almost certainly a better foiler with windward foiling ability, due to less weigh, more righting moment and a better rig.

I do not think there is any comparison.

The Glidefree kit was aimed at existing laser owners who wanting a new thrill, I think they have sold several hundred. It does foil reasonably well downwind but slows the boat upwind. Its a play thing, not a racing option.

The Waszp will measure and can race as a moth. It is intended to be able keep up with the back half of the hot moth fleet, not a slouch, but not a competitive moth. But a good starting point for young aspirants. If they sell enough they may have a new class.

Two different markets.

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
The olympic moth fantasy has been tried and done. The Bladerider master plan included the olympics but it proved too big a nut to crack against all the existing vested interests. Maybe some of the huge promotion expenditure in that direction contributed to the BR failure, but since AMAC very nearly came undone once I doubt he will be going that way again. He is openly saying the Waszp is aimed at the youth market.

Yah00

Board skiff

Super Anarchist
Presumably the Waszp is aimed at youth because they are light, which makes up for the relatively heavy hull? Is the idea to be the 29er of the s/h world?

That's a perfectly decent aim, but means it won't become the volksfoiler for mamils - which may disappoint some.

teknologika

Anarchist
Presumably the Waszp is aimed at youth because they are light, which makes up for the relatively heavy hull? Is the idea to be the 29er of the s/h world?

That's a perfectly decent aim, but means it won't become the volksfoiler for mamils - which may disappoint some.
It is aimed to remove a lot of the barriers that currently keep the moth as a working man's weekend plaything, and not a boat that anyone could potentially sail.
Amac has said that the boat will absolutely work for bigger guys, with a price that makes it an affordable youth option.

There are no guarantees it will become the foiler for the masses, In fact there may never be one.

Last edited by a moderator:

dacarls

Anarchist
FL
I had an almost new Bladerider Moth set up on my front beach in Michigan all last summer, sail up most of the time but tied down. I sailed it about 25 times. I had ZERO people walk or drive down the little public front road to ask me about it. ZERO.

Cops/Marine patrol came by the first week because it looked like I was "Struggling" and asked me if I needed help. Despite being a "Gerifoiler", I persisted. After a while, it didn't look like "struggling" anymore.

see catcobbler.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Marketting will have to be different in different countries. In AUS we sail off public beaches or parks and most small boat clubs are built on public land so there are always people passing and some of them do show interest in the boats. I understand that such public waterfront is rare in the US, and the big clubs are behind security fences so attracting passes by is much less likely. The UK has more big dinghy clubs on their own land so it would be different again.

In AUS a lot of young people sail conservative boats and the majority give up sailing in their late teens. The WASP might fit their budget and keep them sailing longer. AMAC has sold nearly a thousand moths in about 8 years and has a good idea of what the market wants. He thinks halving the price will open up a new slice of the market. Good luck to him, hope it works.

Yah00

I know a teen who recently started sailing a Laser but goes back to a Sabot from time to time because the competition's better. Others are keen to sail fast boats but getting into a skiff is a bit of a leap and needs a crew.

A Waszp might be just what they need, especially as a fun machine that can be shared with friends.